Sponsored by:

Anal Owners Advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:18 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default **** Owners Advice.....

Hello all, I am absolutely thrilled with my 2018 GTS that I bought used. As an avid car owner and **** car owner that loves taking care of my Porsche and keeping it as clean and detailed as possible, I always am bugged by rock chips. I totally understand that is the process of driving and enjoying the car. There are a few on the front of my GTS, bumper especially, but it has 12,000 miles. Even though the previous owner did a spectacular job of keeping the car mint. This question is not for all of you, because many of you just drive the heck out of the car and enjoy it. Unfortunately, I wish I could feel that way. So my question is to the forum members that are really into keeping there car pristine, how to you learn to deal with the chips you get on your cars. Not that it really matters 5 years from now, but do rock chips effect your trade in value or everyone has them on a used car? Silly question to many and I am sure I will hear if you don't want chips, then don't drive the car and keep it a "garage queen".. I get it but many of you are older and wiser and might have some good advice when this small stuff bugs you. Touch ups are great but you can always see them. Anyways, sorry to ramble but this must be a little bothersome for others too. Thank you for your patience and appreciate the time in writing your opinions!
Old 11-28-2018, 04:45 PM
s-works
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello woodranch. Here is my 2 cents and I know I will be in the .1 percentile of the rest of the community. In the end it is what makes you happy.
Honestly, do some research and find a reputable shop that does Clearbra. My last 3 vehicles have had the whole thing clearbra'd. I live in a very
tough climate and it keeps 99% of the rocks from dinging the paint, and it is a snap to wash in the winter time. Any blemishes in the clearbra, you can just replace that section.
The second thing (if it were mine) would be to find a paint shop and have all the stuff that bugs you redone. Then have your clearbra person do the whole car.
Clearbra is next best thing to having a car that can heal it's own bodywork.. Remember "Christine" LOL.

Anyway, good luck and happy driving..
Old 11-28-2018, 04:52 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I can't help but wonder if you've missed the lengthy discussions about PPF in this forum. A large number of us have PPF to some degree or another. Most (or all?) of us that have it got it largely to prevent chips and other occasional minor scrapes. Just search for the PPF threads for more on the subject... including those posts from those that are just content to use Dr Colorchip, respray, or just outright live with it.

The touch-up methods help disguise them pretty well if there aren't too many, but if you don't want chips in the first place, then PPF or parking is about the only way to go.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:54 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Have a 2013 C4 with 34,000 miles after 5 years and 1 month. The first owner had the front wrapped right after he got it and guess what? No chips.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by s-works
Hello woodranch. Here is my 2 cents and I know I will be in the .1 percentile of the rest of the community. In the end it is what makes you happy.
Honestly, do some research and find a reputable shop that does Clearbra. My last 3 vehicles have had the whole thing clearbra'd. I live in a very
tough climate and it keeps 99% of the rocks from dinging the paint, and it is a snap to wash in the winter time. Any blemishes in the clearbra, you can just replace that section.
The second thing (if it were mine) would be to find a paint shop and have all the stuff that bugs you redone. Then have your clearbra person do the whole car.
Clearbra is next best thing to having a car that can heal it's own bodywork.. Remember "Christine" LOL.

Anyway, good luck and happy driving..
I agree with this. I was recently in the market for black 911.1 TT. I looked at quite a few cars and passed on them due to the large number of chips in the spoiler, bumper, fenders and hood. I didn't want to pay $100k plus for a car that looked like it had been hit with a shotgun blast. I was surprised at the number of cars that did not have PPF. To me it's a no brainer when you buy a car that costs $160k plus that you protect it with PPF. Eventually I found a car I really liked but it had chips. I budgeted to have the front end resprayed and PPF installed so it would stay chip free.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

When you have more that enough stone chips on your front bumper for your liking, remove it, take to your favorite shop for a re-spray. About $600 give or take a $100.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:22 PM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Also if you have the time and patience, you can easily fill it in yourself. Check out Larry at AmmoNYC on Youtube - he has a good tutorial on filling in rock chips.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:12 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Off topic: the thread title really reaches out and grabs your attention.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 13mit
Also if you have the time and patience, you can easily fill it in yourself. Check out Larry at AmmoNYC on Youtube - he has a good tutorial on filling in rock chips.
Agree. I'm a fan of Larry's and love his products, too.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:49 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
When you have more that enough stone chips on your front bumper for your liking, remove it, take to your favorite shop for a re-spray. About $600 give or take a $100.
this. Easy to remove. Easy to overhaul. Paint it wait for the next chips!

Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 PM
vitabrew
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My car had about 20,000 miles when I got her and lots, of noticeable chips in her black paint. I used the Dr Colorchip multiple times to fill them in till they were hardly visible then had PPF applied.
Sure, if you put your nose to the hood and and look for the touch ups you will see the larger repaired spots. Otherwise it's 99% gone and I am very happy.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I vote for a re-spray and PPF; however, make sure you wait a while to get the PPF on and tell the installer when it was done so they can tell you for sure how long to wait, or Google it for lots of opinions!
Old 11-28-2018, 11:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,736 Likes on 4,765 Posts

When you get enough rock chips, you know it's time for a new car.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:50 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

if you do go PPF, i also recommend film on your windshield. I did a full PPF and after a year + of enjoying my car and regular track day weekends, my PPF has taken alot of beating and is pretty scratched up but i have peace of mind that the paint is nicely clean underneath. not my windshield however. I didn't think i would need windshield protection but this car is a magnet for tiny chips on the windshield especially driving at high speed. I will probably replace the windshield after another year or so
Old 11-29-2018, 06:35 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Hello all, I am absolutely thrilled with my 2018 GTS that I bought used. As an avid car owner and **** car owner that loves taking care of my Porsche and keeping it as clean and detailed as possible, I always am bugged by rock chips. I totally understand that is the process of driving and enjoying the car. There are a few on the front of my GTS, bumper especially, but it has 12,000 miles. Even though the previous owner did a spectacular job of keeping the car mint. This question is not for all of you, because many of you just drive the heck out of the car and enjoy it. Unfortunately, I wish I could feel that way. So my question is to the forum members that are really into keeping there car pristine, how to you learn to deal with the chips you get on your cars.Not that it really matters 5 years from now, but do rock chips effect your trade in value or everyone has them on a used car? Silly question to many and I am sure I will hear if you don't want chips, then don't drive the car and keep it a "garage queen".. I get it but many of you are older and wiser and might have some good advice when this small stuff bugs you. Touch ups are great but you can always see them. Anyways, sorry to ramble but this must be a little bothersome for others too. Thank you for your patience and appreciate the time in writing your opinions!

In answer to your question above, you don't....."learn to deal with the chips you get on your cars."
If you have the type of personality that is affected by rock chips the best way to approach it is to try to avoid getting them in the first place by using PPF.
Of course that's no guarantee that it won't happen but at least you did your best to try to avoid them.
I have many friends with nice rides who don't know or care what PPF is ......it's not an issue for them.

When all is said and done it doesn't mean squat if you don't get out and drive the car.
Life is short, it's best to enjoy your car while you can....rock chips mean very little in the total scheme of things....you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Quick Reply: Anal Owners Advice.....