Sponsored by:

im So happy with my pdk shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:21 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts
Default im So happy with my pdk shift ****

After seeing the 992 reveal I walked down to the lot to visit my 991.2 4 gts. Walked around and enjoyed the eye candy that is my car. Sat inside and felt the grip of my shift **** which is used 95% of the time in manual mode. I just have the biggest smile on my face. It’s like an early Christmas gift.

992 will be loved my many and I’m sure it is a great car but I am so happy about my smaller lighter 991. This 991 is and will be an adored classic for a long time and I am very happy to be longterm owner of one.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:16 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I shift manually almost all the time with my cars and I really appreciate the center shift ****.... It is very practical for use on street driving. I have an incoming 991.2 s with pdk, I am shocked porsche would put that non shifting nub on the new 992.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:29 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
After seeing the 992 reveal I walked down to the lot to visit my 991.2 4 gts. Walked around and enjoyed the eye candy that is my car. Sat inside and felt the grip of my shift **** which is used 95% of the time in manual mode.
Yup, after seeing the rear end I felt like I was shot in the stomach.

After seeing the Braun came the kill shot...
Old 11-28-2018, 07:38 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Yup, after seeing the rear end I felt like I was shot in the stomach.

After seeing the Braun came the kill shot...
the Braun so true
Old 11-28-2018, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Braun if you get manual. The tail is growing on me. Want to see it in person though.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:47 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks a lot better to me than I had feared, and I won't miss the shifter since I never use it. I always use the paddles anyway.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:11 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

it's very difficult to shift when you are turning from stop with paddles only. i use the **** 100% of the time when doing that. unless these paddles are like the ferrari paddles that sit on the side and don't move. i am surprised they removed that option and would think even a smaller shifter would include the ability to shift manually. big miss
Old 11-28-2018, 12:39 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

Braun . . .that's just awesome! LOL I think I'll take a spin today and use the shifter since everyone is already missing it in the new car. Mine is even remapped in reverse orientation by the Cobb SW and I've never even tried it!

I like the overall shape of the 992, it's too bad it's bigger and heavier. I bet they get rid of all the exterior trim I don't like with the 992 GT3 which could end up being an awesome looking car!
Old 11-28-2018, 04:34 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Highyo
it's very difficult to shift when you are turning from stop with paddles only. i use the **** 100% of the time when doing that
So true, love my PDK shifter.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:45 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by usccharles

the Braun so true

Old 11-28-2018, 06:08 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 628 Posts

Here is mine. No Braun for me lol. A bit of Carbon Goodness.

Carbon PDK
Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Braun . . .that's just awesome! LOL I think I'll take a spin today and use the shifter since everyone is already missing it in the new car. Mine is even remapped in reverse orientation by the Cobb SW and I've never even tried it!

I like the overall shape of the 992, it's too bad it's bigger and heavier. I bet they get rid of all the exterior trim I don't like with the 992 GT3 which could end up being an awesome looking car!
I never used my PDK shifter in manual mode before people started yelling about the nubbin. Didn't see the point originally, but forced myself to try it a few times to understand what was being lost. I now find myself using it all the time, and agree with those who say that it was a mistake to downsize the lever and remove its shifting functionality. (Although I strongly disagree with those who say that downshifts should correspond to forward movement of the stick. That makes it harder to give the stick a quick bump when coming out of turns, which is 90% of the reason for supporting the feature in the first place.)

It's true that the PDK lever didn't need to be as big and ostentatious as it was in the 981/991 generation, but they went WAY too far in the opposite direction in the 992. An example of fine German engineering from German engineers who take a bus to work.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:24 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
(Although I strongly disagree with those who say that downshifts should correspond to forward movement of the stick. That makes it harder to give the stick a quick bump when coming out of turns, which is 90% of the reason for supporting the feature in the first place.)
Not sure of your logic here. You downshift approaching turn in not coming out of turns. It's more natural to push the lever forward under braking. You want to accelerate out of a turn in the correct gear. The sequential boxes in the older GT3 cup cars always used that orientation: forward/downshift - rear/upshift. That being said the new setup makes all this moot!
Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Not sure of your logic here. You downshift approaching turn in not coming out of turns. It's more natural to push the lever forward under braking. You want to accelerate out of a turn in the correct gear. The sequential boxes in the older GT3 cup cars always used that orientation: forward/downshift - rear/upshift. That being said the new setup makes all this moot!
i disagree. i feel it is more intuitive to pull back to down shift and fwd to up shift. the missus bimmer is the opposite and always pull back to down shift, very annoying.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:51 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

For track driving I can see this point, certainly. But for street driving, most of your shifts will be upshifts since it always downshifts for you when stopping, even in manual mode. So they probably thought it was better to minimize the movement needed for upshifts at the expense of downshifts.

The only way to make everyone happy would have been to make it configurable, but giving the user any real autonomy is verboten these days. It might confuse us or something.

And yes, the debate is irrelevant now, in any event.

Quick Reply: im So happy with my pdk shift knob