991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im So happy with my pdk shift knob

Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

As someone who's sat in and actually felt the new nubbin joke of a shifter, I can attest that it's even worse to feel than it looks.

Ever since then, I use my shifter more often for manual shifts, as I increasingly appreciate the ergonomic grip which provides a nice tactile connective feedback.... compared to a nubbin.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:18 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
As someone who's sat in and actually felt the new nubbin joke of a shifter, I can attest that it's even worse to feel than it looks.

Ever since then, I use my shifter more often for manual shifts, as I increasingly appreciate the ergonomic grip which provides a nice tactile connective feedback.... compared to a nubbin.
I use my shifter, too, especially for autocross...sad to see the nubbin replace it...
Old 11-29-2018, 02:16 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts
Talking

Opportunity for some 3rd Party Mod firm to sell unhappy 992 drivers a new gear selector then...if its possible. IMO the move to the "nubbin" is likely in support for some digital reason.

But quite simply, more likely some designer took issue with the size of the existing 991 yoke...

Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt

i disagree. i feel it is more intuitive to pull back to down shift and fwd to up shift. the missus bimmer is the opposite and always pull back to down shift, very annoying.
You can disagree, but you would be wrong. Never driven a manual car? When you shift up the gears from 1-2 you pull back. from 3rd to fourth you pull back.
When downshifting from 4th to 3rd, you push forward. and from 2nd to first you push forward.

Therefore it is more natural to push forward to downshift and pull back to Upshift, just like a manual transmission.

GTS has it correct just like the GT3. For the Base and S COBB can reverse it for you.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 11-29-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
You can disagree, but you would be wrong. Never driven a manual car? When you shift up the gears from 1-2 you pull back. from 3rd to fourth you pull back.
When downshifting from 4th to 3rd, you push forward. and from 2nd to first you push forward.

Therefore it is more natural to push forward to downshift and pull back to Upshift, just like a manual transmission.

GTS has it correct just like the GT3. For the Base and S COBB and reverse it for you.
Very true, this is why coming from MT for many years to a PDK I took my time and effort to learn paddle shifting.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:09 PM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
it's very difficult to shift when you are turning from stop with paddles only. i use the **** 100% of the time when doing that. unless these paddles are like the ferrari paddles that sit on the side and don't move. i am surprised they removed that option and would think even a smaller shifter would include the ability to shift manually. big miss
The paddle shifters on my 488 are much better than those on my Targa 4 GTS in that they are much larger and fixed.
They are way too small on the Porsche.

In my Targa it's + Down - Up
In my Macan it's + Up - Down
In my 488 it's paddles only
Talk about confusing

Last edited by bosco42; 11-29-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Not saying how it is on the .1 is right or wrong, as once you train your brain, it really doesn't matter, but using your example, don't you also push up on fully manual tranny up-shifts from 2 to 3 and 4 to 5, etc. Not really getting how your logic makes your view right and his view wrong.

As for not having the ability to shift via the 992 "Braun-nubbin", I must agree that is a loss, as I drive in manual PDK mode nearly all of the time, and use the paddles nearly all of the time, but the times that I do use the pdk shift lever to up-shift is when starting from a dead stop at a corner when making an immediate left or right turn and wanting to upshift mid turn. It feels awkward to keep both hands on the wheel during such a turn. I have given up attempting to train my brain to realize that midway through that turn, up and down are on opposite sides of the wheel vs normal. Its just easier to reach over and nudge up (in my case) the shift selector to make that shift.

Last edited by Al.Fresco; 11-30-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:46 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 298 Posts

GTS has it correct just like the GT3. For the Base and S COBB can reverse it for you.
Hmmm . . . my 991.1 GTS upshifts/ forward, down/rear stock and the Cobb tune reversed that.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:09 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Not all manuals work that way. If you've ever driven an old mid-engine Ferrari with a transverse V8 and gated shifter, you'll remember what that 1-2 shift feels like when the stars line up and the torque on the driveline is just right. You'll forget that feeling at about the same time you'll forget the first time you ever had your hands on a woman.

Oh, well, enough yelling at clouds for one day. Bring on the computer-connected nubbins, I guess.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:21 AM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 34 Posts

Every car I've owned before my 991.2 C2S had been a manual. But I really wanted to experience PDK technology. And I love it.

Shifting PDK in manual aside, the blessing of the 991.2 shifter design is that it still gives adherents and friends of the Manual Gearbox Preservation Society a place to rest their right hand, and swear their loyalty to a mechanical connection with the transmission.

(In leather wrapped aluminum glory, no less.)

With the 992's too-far-forward electric shaver nubbin, all that's left for your right hand to do is fumble with your iPhone, or make smudges on the PCM. You can't even trim your stubble with it.

Down with the shaver! Long live the shifter!
Old 11-30-2018, 08:03 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,189 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox

Down with the shaver! Long live the shifter!
Time will tell but I suspect the Braun will go the way of the Dodo...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: im So happy with my pdk shift knob