Ultimate cheap cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Ultimate cheap cup holder

Hey everyone!

My 911 has cup holders... as do all of yours. There are two issues with the driver cup holder:

1. The cup holder is for a really short cup only partially filled. If you put a coffee cup I. The holder and take a turn the cup falls out...
2. The cup holder places the beverage over the electronics ... waiting for an accident.

Rather than complain about the above two items I built myself a new cup holder, based on something google calls "the ultimate cup holder", a knock off of sorts, and mounted the holder to the passenger side.

I cannot reason why I bought such an expensive car and executed such a crude and cheap looking afterthought but I am content with the results.

I can now enjoy a full 400ml stainless coffee mug or water bottles without them loosely flying around the car as I drive in a more "spirited manner".

Parts used to make my coffee holder:
1. $1.99 plastic water bottle cage for my bike
2. $4.99 sheet of 1/8" thick mdf board
3. Two bolts and two screws to hold the cage on the mdf
4. Velcro adhesive tape to fasten cup holder to tuxumi winter mats (summer installation used mdf projection under the Porsche centre console trim.

Happy to have shared my success with you all!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Rapter; 11-27-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:09 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Looks a lot like these:
https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

But I suspect you knew that based on the wording in your post.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:57 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I like as a prototype , now time to refine it . Loose the wood and substitute it with something that reflects porsche quality
Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 PM
flgfish
Pro

3D printed cup holder would be pretty modern and slick.
There is a hobby place near me where you can use them for cheap if you join... maybe a cool project to build a file and share it around...
Old 11-27-2018, 11:46 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Silly question: why not buy the genuine Ultimate Cupholder? I bought a pair not long ago for my new Targa GTS and they work perfectly and look great at the same time. I never pass up a deal or look for ways to save money but for the price I personally would not consider other options.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:27 AM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

This is GREAT!!

Funny, my wife & I were going on our first extended road trip form Phoenix to San Diego last month & I was contemplating how to add more beverage storage...VIOLA! I thought about those plastic cheap *** window hook soda can holders we used in the early 70's. I bought two off of amazon for $1.25 each.

I used my wife's hairdryer and somewhat molded the hook section to wrap around the door hand hold & lower trim storage bin (by the speaker). I used a wash cloth so it would not scratch. You have to remove the lower ones though before you exit the cabin. You can use one on top & two down below for each side. The only thing is I need to get deeper holders & maybe a bigger diameter one for a coffee tumbler. They worked great!

Those Ultimate cupholders above look slick, however I don't want anything to the lower right by my leg.

Last edited by Dkk16; 01-18-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:39 AM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by Dkk16
This is GREAT!!

Funny, my wife & I were going on our first extended road trip form Phoenix to San Diego last month & I was contemplating how to add more beverage storage...VIOLA! I thought about those plastic cheap *** window hook soda can holders we used in the early 70's. I bought two off of amazon for $1.25 each.

I used my wife's hairdryer and somewhat molded the hook section to wrap around the door hand hold & lower trim storage bin (by the speaker). I used a wash cloth so it would not scratch. You have to remove the lower ones though before you exit the cabin. You can use one on top & two down below for each side. The only thing is I need to get deeper holders & maybe a bigger diameter one for a coffee tumbler. They worked great!

Those Ultimate cupholders above look slick, however I don't want anything to the lower right by my leg.
Very clever. I love it.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:39 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

I vote for https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/ as well. I’m pretty chill and messy around the house, so says the wife but I’m OCD with my cars. I really like the functionality and clean look of these cup holders. Whatever floats your boat!
Old 11-28-2018, 02:05 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Perfect for a 100k car

i like the unltimate cup holders
Old 11-28-2018, 10:11 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

This is GREAT!!

And I don't want to a cheap piece of plastic around my leg, and certainly not a rag hanging down from my door. The Ultimate Cup Holders are not even close to your right leg and befroe I bought them I thought the same, until I tried them...zero interference and I actually used mine last night taking the car to the detailer.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 220 Posts

....Those Ultimate cupholders above look slick, however I don't want anything to the lower right by my leg.
I have mine on the passenger side of the center console. Still an easy reach and it’s not under my right leg.
The following users liked this post:
Cst (10-17-2022)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
And I don't want to a cheap piece of plastic around my leg, and certainly not a rag hanging down from my door. The Ultimate Cup Holders are not even close to your right leg and befroe I bought them I thought the same, until I tried them...zero interference and I actually used mine last night taking the car to the detailer.
Before I posted I knew I would get criticized... oh well🤭. All good.

I researched around and couldn’t locate any. I’ll look again at the ultimate. It just looks that on the drivers side it’s not easy to get to next to the right leg.

I may look for some better plastic ones that form better and add some foam on the inside of the hook. That will really **** someone off😎😎😎.
The following users liked this post:
rrbarrios14 (03-07-2023)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Before I posted I knew I would get criticized... oh well🤭. All good.

I researched around and couldn’t locate any. I’ll look again at the ultimate. It just looks that on the drivers side it’s not easy to get to next to the right leg.

I may look for some better plastic ones that form better and add some foam on the inside of the hook. That will really **** someone off😎😎😎.
Nothing personal! If you order one, or a pair, and don't like them they will gladly refund you the cost if you return them, no questions asked, so you have nothing to loose.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:49 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 for the Ultimate cupholders. I think I had them before my car arrived. Among several other add-ons!
Old 11-28-2018, 02:52 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

This goes perfect with clear plastic vinyl to put over the seats.

Quick Reply: Ultimate cheap cup holder