Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera as a Track Day / DE Car. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:33 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
That's awesome. I personally prefer the Cayman experience on the street - manual, NA, easier to get the rear a little loose at lower speeds.

Now that I've tracked the 911, I don't know how I'll be able to go to another platform for track use. Doing the whole "flooring it after the apex" routine in the 911 is just too addictive. Nothing feels quite like it.
Depending on the track, you can do that in a GT4 too. My 981 GTS was far squirlier than the GT4, both on entry under heavy braking and on exit.

I will say that going through turn 1 at Laguna Seca (110 MPH) the front end did feel quite mushy over the crest. Had to modulate throttle numerous times to keep front end in check. Had the front dart around under extreme braking once. Not very confidence inspiring.

Am willing to do one more track day with the KW V3's before I do that other thing I'm planning to do with the car
Old 11-21-2018, 06:51 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by RENN GTS
Depending on the track, you can do that in a GT4 too. My 981 GTS was far squirlier than the GT4, both on entry under heavy braking and on exit.

I will say that going through turn 1 at Laguna Seca (110 MPH) the front end did feel quite mushy over the crest. Had to modulate throttle numerous times to keep front end in check. Had the front dart around under extreme braking once. Not very confidence inspiring.

Am willing to do one more track day with the KW V3's before I do that other thing I'm planning to do with the car
LOL well to be fair, the GT4 has significantly more rear tire than the GTS

That being said, the turbo torque is still more eye opening for me than even the grip on the 911's rear end.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:52 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JAhmed
LOL well to be fair, the GT4 has significantly more rear tire than the GTS

That being said, the turbo torque is still more eye opening for me than even the grip on the 911's rear end.
Curious what at base 991.2 w/ Cup 2's and the KW's would feel like
Old 11-21-2018, 08:04 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Curious what at base 991.2 w/ Cup 2's and the KW's would feel like
I don't doubt it would be an animal...

Those Girodisc 350mm rotors are very tempting as well.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:05 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

No tow hook required
Old 11-21-2018, 09:08 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mattyf
No tow hook required
I always use the rear for the tow hook. Something about it sticking out that far in the front makes me uncomfortable.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:28 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I always use the rear for the tow hook. Something about it sticking out that far in the front makes me uncomfortable.
Fingers crossed you never need it. Getting pullled off track backwards sounds hard. I’m also afraid of tow drivers hooking up to whatever they find up front. So I always go with the front.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts

The 991.2 GTS with a few mods just eats the track up and all in its way.

I have Cup 2's, Many elephant racing adjustable bars with rose joints. IPD Plenum, BMC Air filter, AMS Intercoolers, Vektor headers, COBB Stage 1 tune. Up grade fluid to Castrol SRF is a must. I also run a couple of gallons of E85, and it brings the car alive, and stops it pulling timing in the heat. I also have DSC module.

Have ordered Akra Cats, in preparation for stage 2 COBB. I have custom made springs, but they aren't fitted as yet. I want tractive coilovers but can't decide if I want the cansiters or not. Not sure if they are worth it.

I will do a full BBK as well. In the beginning the 991.2 GT3 was beating me at the track. : ) Not anymore. And I am no where near finished. I also want to do the PWR upgraded front coolers all 3.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:46 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for the report out. I can't wait to get my base 991.2 (stick) on the track next year. I've done an auto X, a Hill Climb and lots of back road blasts, and I'm not surprised to hear the performance envelope to be comparable to the 997 GT3.

The base car is a complete weapon of a machine and I am very impressed with it. It is certainly on another performance level as compared to my prior 997.2 C4S.

Having said that, away from a stop-light in the wet I'd take the C4S every time
Old 11-21-2018, 11:07 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

As you know, I bought the 991.2 GTS with the intention of developing power mods for it AND showing that it could run on track with the GT cars. I did bolt-on power mods and only bits that would be equal to what either comes on a GT car or what would be added by a GT car owner going on track.

I’m so happy with the balance and performance of the car, it’'s awesome. Make no mistake though; no .1 or .2 GT3 or RS owner will ever ever give this car the credit it deserves. I troll them when I sneak out on track and it's awesome because they point you by anxiously but it’s not fair because they’'re HPDE drivers so it’ is a bit like picking on little leaguers. They're greener and they're younger and still learning so it's not totally fair but I'm in it for the marketing. (Side note: a lot of those red group guys can hustle!) I think the car needs 1 additional item to outrun the GT3s and RSs and then it will be complete. I challenged Dalziel to a 1 lap shootout with him driving both cars at PBIR because I want to be on record proving the performance of this platform. If CJ would come and do it, he can have the gig instead! I love the car. i wanted to find rear grip again and if you look at this photo you will see it!

Happy Thanksgiving folks!
Attached Images  

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 11-22-2018 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (11-26-2021)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:59 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

What kind of difference did you notice with DSC box? I have a set of KW V3's inbound.

Also, what kind of difference do you feel in the pedal with the new fluid and braided lines? Did you reuse the OEM pads?
Tom at TPC make two files for me, stiff and extra stiff to prevent some dive during heavy breaking. Worked really well. Hardly any dip during heave braking. Rest of the track, kept the car smooth and handled very well and kept if flat through corners and transitions. I think it makes great improv,ents wo increasing spring stiffness.

The brakes feel better and very grippy with stock pads, a small improvement with regular driving but slows the car very efficiently from 100+. I have not tried the pagid yet. Maybe next week.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:43 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tgavem

Tom at TPC make two files for me, stiff and extra stiff to prevent some dive during heavy breaking. Worked really well. Hardly any dip during heave braking. Rest of the track, kept the car smooth and handled very well and kept if flat through corners and transitions. I think it makes great improv,ents wo increasing spring stiffness.

The brakes feel better and very grippy with stock pads, a small improvement with regular driving but slows the car very efficiently from 100+. I have not tried the pagid yet. Maybe next week.
I've heard really great things about the DSC box. Have friends that have used it on their Vipers with great success too.

Would be curious to try one out sometime.

Anyone have any track days coming up soon?

Bulldawgfan1000 (11-30-2021)
Old 11-24-2018, 08:57 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
As you know, I bought the 991.2 GTS with the intention of developing power mods for it AND showing that it could run on track with the GT cars. I did bolt-on power mods and only bits that would be equal to what either comes on a GT car or what would be added by a GT car owner going on track.

I’m so happy with the balance and performance of the car, it’'s awesome. Make no mistake though; no .1 or .2 GT3 or RS owner will ever ever give this car the credit it deserves. I troll them when I sneak out on track and it's awesome because they point you by anxiously but it’s not fair because they’'re HPDE drivers so it’ is a bit like picking on little leaguers. They're greener and they're younger and still learning so it's not totally fair but I'm in it for the marketing. (Side note: a lot of those red group guys can hustle!) I think the car needs 1 additional item to outrun the GT3s and RSs and then it will be complete. I challenged Dalziel to a 1 lap shootout with him driving both cars at PBIR because I want to be on record proving the performance of this platform. If CJ would come and do it, he can have the gig instead! I love the car. i wanted to find rear grip again and if you look at this photo you will see it!

Happy Thanksgiving folks!
I'm down!

I track my C2GTS stock with PDCC and have had a lot of fun in the car. like arya said- a great thing about the turbos on these cars is being able to pass sound stations with 6-10dB less than a GT3RS
Old 11-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Randall 991.2
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
Hey, he wasn't holding anybody up ... they were just taking advantage of drafting behind him!

Does look like a lot of fun.
He's a track god.... def not holding anyone up!
Old 11-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Randall 991.2
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the honor of having Awesome Arya of Fresno Porsche guide me through my first track day at Laguna Seca. Definitely won't be my last...

Thank you Fresno Porsche for a fabulous experience!
Dutch One (11-27-2021)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera as a Track Day / DE Car. Anyone else?