CPO is out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:57 PM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO is out of warranty

Guys.

I hope I can learn from you as this is my first Porsche.

My Carrera is going to be out of warranty in Feb 2019. It currently has 30k and it is running just fine. I got it CPO with 10k. During the warranty period I got the door panels replaced and a new PCI, as the previous one was not connecting on Bluetooth. Nothing done on powertrain.

So what is the wisdom? Should I keep an out of warranty Carrera? I'm afraid, very afraid. I kept my Audi S4 beyond its warranty years and got burned badly. I guess that is why I'm concerned.

Previously I took a Golf to 100k miles and zero problems. My Toyota has 90k and is as solid as when new. Love how reliable these Toyotas are.

So what do you guys, that know more that I do, would say? No reason to be concerned? Or should. I trade the car?

Any input would be immensely appreciated.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If you're that risk adverse, buy an extended warranty. One your current shop accepts and is familiar with.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2013 C4 will go out of CPO October, 2019 with about 40,000 miles (at current rate). Plan to get an extended warranty so I won't worry about the possibility of a $25,000 PDK replacement. Going to keep on driving my daily grin machine.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:39 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

IMO the “ trick” to owning an older car out of warranty is having a place you trust to do the work affordably. If you have that, you are golden, without it you are fleeced.

I still have my RS4 from 2007 and never had an issue with repairs...but it won’t go to a dealer. Same with my Porsche.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Curious what gen/year S4 you had.

My typical advice is if you have PDK, then warranty. If not, you are fine. I dont think most warranties would cover the door panels.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:41 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Fidelity Platinum Plan and rest easy. It's essentially like a continuation of CPO, and a reasonable price for this car.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:51 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr

My typical advice is if you have PDK, then warranty. If not, you are fine. I dont think most warranties would cover the door panels.
My 2014 S4 is approaching 78k and, remarkably, the only thing I've ever done is regular maintenance, which I do religiously every 10k. (But I had a 2000 A6 2.7T that I was glad when the lease ran out at 56k, as I was beginning to worry, but I believe Audi's are made much better now. I also had a 1991 90 20v that ran to 240k.)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:59 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I have a 2015 C2 with PDK and 54k miles. After pricing all the options I could find when it went over 50k, I decided to self-insure. It's not impossible but vanishingly unlikely that my 991 engine melts down or the PDK needs replacement while I own this car over any reasonable period of additional warranty coverage. Think about it - that's how these companies can afford to sell you insurance in the first place.

Basically, you're paying money "in case" the PDK goes **** up and needs replacement, or you have an engine rebuild/replace scenario. I'll save the money up front & take my chances. And if it does need replacement in the future, I'll evaluate the options in front of me.

I put a lot of thought and analysis into this, being an engineer and a bit of a math nerd - you may come to your own conclusion.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:23 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

For peace of mind have an independent or Porsche go over it before warranty period. Have considered doing this just prior to my warranty running out. However no pdk here.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:37 AM
pprj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bxstr
B8/2012 S4. Took good care of it. All done by the book. Kept it stock.

At 25k it started to drink oil. A quart every 4k miles. I managed it, again, by the book. Software, valves, followed all tech bulletins. I could live with a quart evert 4k, no problem. But I was not aware it was going to get much worse.

Car then went out of warranty (due to age, not mileage) and the situation deteriorated. By 35k it was drinking a quart every 1500 miles. By 42k miles it was at a qt/350 miles. I was driving with a box of oil in the trunk. No leaks. I did all I could, new valves, new software (to reduce pressure), everything they told me to do I did, all but new rings. And Audi refused to help me - car was out of warranty. So it got expensive.

Next move would be new rings. I decided not to do it. I traded it in and left the brand. It will be difficult to come back.

This was my daily - a wonderful daily car, oh that engine! - but I work from home mostly - so I don't drive lots of miles. 7k per year, give or take? I wanted to take that car to 70/80k miles. That was the plan. But it could not last even 45k miles.

And I don't know about you all, but at this day and age, when even very low cost vehicles reach 100k easily - and the really good ones get to 300k miles -, to have this kind of trouble and hear from Audi USA that they won't help me is unacceptable. Not from a financial standpoint. Luckily I can afford a few hiccups here and there and get a new car. And yes, I know the car was out of warrant - less than an year out of warranty, but still out. But from the standpoint of a company that does not stand by their product. I would be ashamed if my product could not last more than 45k miles - considering all the service was done by the book by dealers and fully documented. I would say - come here Mr Customer, let us look into this and see what is going on, we will find a way as this is not right.

But they didn't even engage on a conversation. No special offer on a new S4. No offer to cover some of the cost to replace rings. Nothing. They basically said, sorry, you are on your own, these things happen and since you don't have warranty we can't help you. Audi said that. Not the dealer. So I left.

That is the story. I wish you all the luck with your Audis. My neighbour still rocks his S5 and has zero issues.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 AM
pprj
Advanced

Originally Posted by K-A
Fidelity Platinum Plan and rest easy. It's essentially like a continuation of CPO, and a reasonable price for this car.
Thanks. I'm looking into this right now!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:51 AM
pprj
Advanced

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
My 2014 S4 is approaching 78k and, remarkably, the only thing I've ever done is regular maintenance, which I do religiously every 10k. (But I had a 2000 A6 2.7T that I was glad when the lease ran out at 56k, as I was beginning to worry, but I believe Audi's are made much better now. I also had a 1991 90 20v that ran to 240k.)
Just for the record, my car is PDK. I don't track it. Rarely rev up to redline - would not do on a regular street anyway - so I don't load or stress the drivetrain.

I appreciate all the replies here. I'm already looking into the extended warranty option. Thanks much!
Old 11-21-2018, 11:44 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I bought a 56k mile PDK s2 last month and slapped a 48 month/60k mile on it for a little over $4k as I plan to have it share DD duties at about 12k a year.
SoSfar the sharing isn't working, M5 has been parked since I got it.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:50 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

I had a B8 S4 and it was amazing. That engine sound...............!! Never had the (known) oil issue but I traded it at warranty end. I've had 6-7 Audis (SQ5 currently) and have had great success. I did have one out of warranty issue years ago and Dealer went to bat for me as I'd dealt with them for 20+ years at the time. All brands are going to hiccup from time to time.
I'd get aftermarket warranty with the possibility of $25,000 issue.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:18 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by pprj
B8/2012 S4. Took good care of it. All done by the book. Kept it stock.

At 25k it started to drink oil. A quart every 4k miles. I managed it, again, by the book. Software, valves, followed all tech bulletins. I could live with a quart evert 4k, no problem. But I was not aware it was going to get much worse.

Car then went out of warranty (due to age, not mileage) and the situation deteriorated. By 35k it was drinking a quart every 1500 miles. By 42k miles it was at a qt/350 miles. I was driving with a box of oil in the trunk. No leaks. I did all I could, new valves, new software (to reduce pressure), everything they told me to do I did, all but new rings. And Audi refused to help me - car was out of warranty. So it got expensive.

Next move would be new rings. I decided not to do it. I traded it in and left the brand. It will be difficult to come back.

This was my daily - a wonderful daily car, oh that engine! - but I work from home mostly - so I don't drive lots of miles. 7k per year, give or take? I wanted to take that car to 70/80k miles. That was the plan. But it could not last even 45k miles.

And I don't know about you all, but at this day and age, when even very low cost vehicles reach 100k easily - and the really good ones get to 300k miles -, to have this kind of trouble and hear from Audi USA that they won't help me is unacceptable. Not from a financial standpoint. Luckily I can afford a few hiccups here and there and get a new car. And yes, I know the car was out of warrant - less than an year out of warranty, but still out. But from the standpoint of a company that does not stand by their product. I would be ashamed if my product could not last more than 45k miles - considering all the service was done by the book by dealers and fully documented. I would say - come here Mr Customer, let us look into this and see what is going on, we will find a way as this is not right.

But they didn't even engage on a conversation. No special offer on a new S4. No offer to cover some of the cost to replace rings. Nothing. They basically said, sorry, you are on your own, these things happen and since you don't have warranty we can't help you. Audi said that. Not the dealer. So I left.

That is the story. I wish you all the luck with your Audis. My neighbour still rocks his S5 and has zero issues.
Had the same issue (and much, much more) with my 2012 A4. Worst vehicle I ever owned. Owned it less than two years.

Quick Reply: CPO is out of warranty