Sponsored by:

Help me pick my first porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by WestlakeHorn
As someone who has really started to autocross and track cars in the last few years, I agree that the best way to learn is to buy a slower car and learn to drive it fast — early generation Cayman is a good choice. It may be sacrilege on this forum, but I think your best bet is a second generation (NB) Miata. Leave the 911 at home until you learn how to drive well. Just my opinion.
I did exactly that. Bought an NB2 with 18K miles in 2016. Has 34K now. About to go up on Bring a Trailer. Just waiting to get the all-season tires for my 911. Should arrive next week. My 981 Boxster GTS is now my weekend, autocross, and track car.

I’m going to hate myself and regret it the second my Miata is out of my hands. Killing me that it is just sitting in starage only being driven for an hour every other Sunday. Hoping whoever buys it will love it as much as I do.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:09 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

It has been my experience that I could not talk someone who really wants a 911 into a Cayman/Boxster even when I know that the latter suits better.

With that out of the way, I would try to find a low Mileage base 991.1 with SC, PSE and PASM. They are rare but do exist. I remember posting one in the HFS thread
Old 11-16-2018, 02:57 AM
PorscheK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
It has been my experience that I could not talk someone who really wants a 911 into a Cayman/Boxster even when I know that the latter suits better.

With that out of the way, I would try to find a low Mileage base 991.1 with SC, PSE and PASM. They are rare but do exist. I remember posting one in the HFS thread
That’s exactly what happened to me...I went from considering an used 718 Boxster S to a new Cayman GTS and eventually a low mileage 991.2 base with 9k miles, SC and PSE.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:03 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmag911
I've been lurking on the forums for a while (and dreaming of a porsche for longer) and now am in a position to buy my first Porsche. I wanted to get thoughts on my options.

First, here's a little about what I intend to use it for. It'll technically be a daily driver, but I pretty much only drive to the office, which is close by. I also travel a fair amount for work, so I only end up putting about 7k miles per year on my cars. With this purchase, I'd like to get into track driving as a hobby.

My budget: Preferably under $50,000, but I can go up to 55-60 if I really needed to.

Options:
1) 997.2 c2s with around 30-40k miles. I've seen quite a few in the market for around $45-50k. Here's one I am considering.
2) 991.1 c2s with around 60-70k miles. I've seen a few for around $55k. Here is an example I am considering https://bit.ly/2zUYmb7
3) 991.1 base carrera with around 30k miles. I've seen a few for around $50-55k.

My initial inclination is to go with the 997.2. While the base 991 seems comparable in performance to the 997 c2s, I think the stiffer ride from the PASM in the 997 would be better for the track. And I'm worried about the miles on the 991 c2s.

Am I overestimating the mileage issue on the 991 c2s? Would a base 991 Carrera be sufficient for getting into track driving?

thanks!
​​​​​​I was recently looking for a DD 911 and it seemed like people we're asking almost as much for lower mile, say 20-40k 997 vs. 991 with over 40k. I put 12k a year on my main DD car, so I figure the lower miles ones were not worth the extra cost. But I did pay $4k to put a 48mo/60k mi warranty on a 56k mile 2012 991 C2s to alleviate the worry you mentioned. Agate coupe with a $127k sticker and paid $52k last month for it.

I've already put 2k on it and went to the track once in the rain on summer tires to see what the limits are at a slower pace. Was a fun outing but so easy to go fast with a PDK, I felt like it's cheating. Can see where divers could get overconfident quick with the newer hardware out there.

A slower car for your first track ride is solid advice, but if you're not going much just get what you use it for the majority of the time. The newer ones have so much capability and advanced nannies to keep you safe from yourself while you learn. You can always get a more track focused car if you find you like the hobby enough.

If you plan to keep the same car for more than a year or two, spend the extra up front and get what you really want so you're not wishing you had.
​​​
Old 11-16-2018, 03:10 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I started shopping for a Boxster as a third car. Drove a bunch, then drove a Cabriolet 911. Oh, had to have the 911. Wait, does this have to be a third car? I could drive this every day! I better get the coupe, much better daily driver. Well, since it's going to be the daily, let's get something newer!
So, ya, ended up with a 2015 991.1. I love it. I couldn't get away with it as a daily if my wife didn't have a Tahoe, but she does, and it has "enough" room to fit both of my kids in it for the rare occasion they're both in my car. Perfect solution!

My wife still thinks I'm nuts, but she's coming around. Kids LOVE the car, maybe more than I do.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:16 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
​​​​​​I was recently looking for a DD 911 and it seemed like people we're asking almost as much for lower mile, say 20-40k 997 vs. 991 with over 40k. I put 12k a year on my main DD car, so I figure the lower miles ones were not worth the extra cost. But I did pay $4k to put a 48mo/60k mi warranty on a 56k mile 2012 991 C2s to alleviate the worry you mentioned. Agate coupe with a $127k sticker and paid $52k last month for it.

I've already put 2k on it and went to the track once in the rain on summer tires to see what the limits are at a slower pace. Was a fun outing but so easy to go fast with a PDK, I felt like it's cheating. Can see where divers could get overconfident quick with the newer hardware out there.

A slower car for your first track ride is solid advice, but if you're not going much just get what you use it for the majority of the time. The newer ones have so much capability and advanced nannies to keep you safe from yourself while you learn. You can always get a more track focused car if you find you like the hobby enough.

If you plan to keep the same car for more than a year or two, spend the extra up front and get what you really want so you're not wishing you had.
​​​
I went into this doing pretty much the same thing. I didn't care about the mileage as long as it was in good shape & had been maintained well. I plan on driving this thing, a lot.
I ended up with a 2015 C2 with 52k miles, and paid a shade under $56k. Sticker price was $103k. I just didn't see a reason to go for an S as a DD, as I loved the "base" with PDK and it's still silly fast and fun for a road car.
IMO the 2014-2015 NA cars coming off lease right now, are just a super sweet deal, if you can find what you want in the price range you're comfortable with, with a decent maintenance record.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:30 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Out of those, I would go .1 base with the lower mileage (which is what I did). But the key is finding one with the right options. I don't think I'd be as content in a bone stock, base performance optioned base .1. I was fortunate to find one with PASM, lowered, S/C, PTV+, and a Sharkwerks exhaust (to make up for not having PSE). I've never seen another base 911 optioned like that, but I would say at the very least, be sure you get one with PASM, and PSE (or get an aftermarket exhaust to let that atmospheric Flat 6 sing).

Otherwise, I'd go 997.2 with even lower miles, or Cayman GTS (excellent car).

Quick Reply: Help me pick my first porsche