Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I part with $90K and my '16 GTS for a GT3T?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:41 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

There are way less Tourings made so far then regular GT3's. For that fact alone and being so close to a 911R...no brainer.

In Canada I've not seen one single touring re-sold yet. I'm of the thinking those cars will hardly lose their values.

Try to get a PTS slot!

Old 11-11-2018, 01:59 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Enjoy your GTS and do something else with that money,
Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Great feedback so far guys. Thanks. Funny how they said the production run was over (in fact my sales guy told me this a few months ago) but there seem to be new ones popping up not infrequently always it seems with an ADM. I think I will probably hold out for sticker or just a little over. The carrot for the dealer is that I intend to check a lot of options boxes.

J
Old 11-11-2018, 03:11 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

If you can do so and feel good about doing so...

Yes. Emphatically yes.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:01 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Great feedback so far guys. Thanks. Funny how they said the production run was over (in fact my sales guy told me this a few months ago) but there seem to be new ones popping up not infrequently always it seems with an ADM. I think I will probably hold out for sticker or just a little over. The carrot for the dealer is that I intend to check a lot of options boxes.

J
That's exactly what I would do.. Check all the boxes I want, maybe a little more by adding something unique to you. Then back out once the car arrives.. They'll sell it at MSRP.

It's all a game. Just gotta play their game back.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:13 AM
slocumda@yahoo.com
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I just got an offer from my dealer for a '19 GT3T allocation. This is the car I was waiting for. My deal as a repeat buyer is $20K over MSRPI really love my '16 GTS Carmine with a manual tranny and 10,500 mile on the clock. I think sticker is a fair price for the new car but if I can get them down to 5 or 10 K over....it is tempting. Would you pay this delta to get an even better canyon carver or should I wait for the 992 GT3?

Jim
Before I'd make that decision I would test drive a manual 991.2 GTS. There are a lot of options you can get with that car that you cannot with the GT3T. If you do not plan on tracking the car maybe the GTS would be more pleasurable most all the time. Like PCA 1983 said, you can modify the GTS with exhaust, headers and chip it for both vastly improved sound and power. I don't know where you live but it looks like you normally put around 4,000/5,000 miles a year on your 911. If you plan to drive less than that to slow depreciation then maybe it does not matter. I think the new turbos with increased hp and torque will make depreciation speed up on NA GT3's especially considering how many have been built. And there probably will be many more GT3T's built down the road as well. All I can say is by what you want and drive it ..................... ALOT!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:56 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

As a GT3 owner who has driven the GTS I wouldn't do it. Really... why? The GTS is a phenomenal car. You know this or you wouldn't have bought yours. $90K is a lot of money to nearly everybody that could probably be spent or saved better elsewhere. However, if time is not on your side and you have money to burn then go for it. Regret of not satisfying your passion is not the best way to check out.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:04 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

my lesson learned is never to ask for buying advice on these forums- so many conflicting opinions(except the 'what about this one' threads on used cars where the experts here are awesome at uncovering issues) ....but since you asked I think its 2 questions

1) if the money is no object then do it
2) if you are going to think about it every time you get in your current car then do it...because the downward slope has started and you will now find reasons not to be satisfied

if neither of the above is true then whats the point? you have an awesome car and when you do get to the #2 above there will be yet a newer model you can get into like the 992 GT3
Old 11-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I also have a '16 GTS (which I just bought at the end of its lease). I am getting a '19 GT3T (arrives in late March). I am keeping my GTS because I love that car. It is PDK and a cab. Perfect daily driver and grand tourer. If you can swing it financially, consider keeping both as they are very different cars. The GT3 is always in "beast mode." My adrenaline starts pumping just looking at the car, let alone driving it. The GTS can be a beast in its own right - not a GT3 beast, but a beast of a different stripe, but it has a docile side where it can feel like a very sporty luxury sedan. The GTS has a real Jekyll and Hyde character. The GT3T is a race car - a wolf in sheep skin, if you will.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:38 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I also have a '16 GTS (which I just bought at the end of its lease). I am getting a '19 GT3T (arrives in late March). I am keeping my GTS because I love that car. It is PDK and a cab. Perfect daily driver and grand tourer. If you can swing it financially, consider keeping both as they are very different cars. The GT3 is always in "beast mode." My adrenaline starts pumping just looking at the car, let alone driving it. The GTS can be a beast in its own right - not a GT3 beast, but a beast of a different stripe, but it has a docile side where it can feel like a very sporty luxury sedan. The GTS has a real Jekyll and Hyde character. The GT3T is a race car - a wolf in sheep skin, if you will.
Agreed. I have a 991.2 GTS and a 991.2 GT3, and they are definitely different enough to warrant keeping both if feasible. The GT3 is always anxious to go faster, and while the GTS is an extremely capable and fast car, it is much more relaxed when you want it to be. They are very different driving experiences.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:29 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I could never pay MSRP for a car, let alone over MSRP. I know that'd be a deal-breaker for me.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:10 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psorcery
That's exactly what I would do.. Check all the boxes I want, maybe a little more by adding something unique to you. Then back out once the car arrives.. They'll sell it at MSRP.

It's all a game. Just gotta play their game back.

Good luck!
That's what I was thinking about doing....signal yellow with 18 way seats, which would make it a harder sell to the hard care GT guys. I wonder if they would charge me an extra deposit.
J
Old 11-11-2018, 02:17 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KM1959
As a GT3 owner who has driven the GTS I wouldn't do it. Really... why? The GTS is a phenomenal car. You know this or you wouldn't have bought yours. $90K is a lot of money to nearly everybody that could probably be spent or saved better elsewhere. However, if time is not on your side and you have money to burn then go for it. Regret of not satisfying your passion is not the best way to check out.
Thats just it....I love this forum b/c you can hear the experience of people who have a lot of seat time in both. I have another car for daily commute purposes. Porsche is the fun weekend, warm up the oil an enjoy the canyons, car. If I can get the dealer down to sticker, or just a little over, I think the GT3 is better for these purposes, but not twice the car.
J
Old 11-11-2018, 03:04 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having driven both, they are both excellent but the new gt3 is a completely different animal! The GTS feels pedestrian in comparison IMHO and I love that build. If you get a chance to build from scratch and can pay the difference, I would think hard about it for just over MSRP.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I would do it.

Quick Reply: Should I part with $90K and my '16 GTS for a GT3T?