Sponsored by:

2016 GTS/2018GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:34 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

People who bought .1’s a year or two ago have sold them for little to no loss. 997.2’s are also performing very well. 911’s never depreciate or get revered in the future according to performance. “Last of,” more connective, “classic” elements are always what determined well performing 911’s on the market.

When taking equal models and specs into consideration, the .1 and .2 base certainly isn’t a 5 MPH difference. It’s consistently 3-4 MPH. Not as sure about the S comparison as maybe that’s slightly wider. Shorter tracks will always favor torquer cars. What I like about the Ring times is it reflects the cars being truly pushed to their limits on long track. Also, both cars have videos (.1 and .2) so you can really see for yourself how they compare. The difference simply isn’t as large as some would like to believe.

Now, of course, in an all out race. Every tenth and second counts. But as you sort of mention; in the real world these translate to little gains. To me, a 10+ MPH trap speed advantage truly separates classes of performance. The 991.2 GTS felt a lot faster than my car. Which makes sense as it probably traps at least 8 MPH more. The .2 base I drove didn’t feel much faster, as my .1 with S/C, x pipe and HRE wheels that probably equal 50+ lbs of non-rotating mass weight savings, probably would only trap a couple or few MPH less than a bog standard .2 base. To me, aside from their vast difference in how they put the power down, the actual performance felt fairly negligible.

Personally, the sound advantage is worth more, and much more oftenly noticeable than the few MPH trap speed difference, or even a couple second track difference. But that’s me.
K-A- total appreciation for your love of the NA cars. They do have a nice exhaust note.
After 6 test drives in various .1 cars - 2 base and 4 S variants, I was left disappointed with the power of all of them. Sorry, but I felt for the price, they should be effortless fast. Not wind me up, make some noise, then get going fast. I didn't really appreciate the noise coming from the NA engines from inside the car, it sounded loud and intrusive, but that is a personal opinion.
The .2 cars are effortless fast. Shift gears if you want to or let the turbos produce the extra power. If you like quiet, use higher gears, you can usually get all the speed you need and stay under 4,000 rpm. My base has the standard exhaust, but makes some really neat sounds around 3k, and then over 4k rpm. Not intrusive, and I rarely have the need or room to run past 5k. The base .2 accelerates on par with a .1 GTS, a remarkable achievement for both vehicles.
As far as resale is concerned, you are absolutely correct, NAs are holding values. It seems like.1S cars are on par with newer .2 base 911s.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:14 AM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After test driving both 4 months ago, I bought 15 PDK GTS over 17 Manual S, despite the 17 had only 3k miles and the 15 had 22k miles, I just enjoyed driving the 991.1 GTS much more than the 991.2 S besides it looked much better with the Aerokit, I did not think that either was faster or accelerate better but I did not push the cars to the limit. At the end of the day it is what makes you more satisfied and that Exhaust sound of the GTS sealed the deal for me. And yes the price was the almost the same for both. And hey the 992 is coming soon and let us see how much the 991.2 depreciate at that time.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:35 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
K-A- total appreciation for your love of the NA cars. They do have a nice exhaust note.
After 6 test drives in various .1 cars - 2 base and 4 S variants, I was left disappointed with the power of all of them. Sorry, but I felt for the price, they should be effortless fast. Not wind me up, make some noise, then get going fast. I didn't really appreciate the noise coming from the NA engines from inside the car, it sounded loud and intrusive, but that is a personal opinion.
The .2 cars are effortless fast. Shift gears if you want to or let the turbos produce the extra power. If you like quiet, use higher gears, you can usually get all the speed you need and stay under 4,000 rpm. My base has the standard exhaust, but makes some really neat sounds around 3k, and then over 4k rpm. Not intrusive, and I rarely have the need or room to run past 5k. The base .2 accelerates on par with a .1 GTS, a remarkable achievement for both vehicles.
As far as resale is concerned, you are absolutely correct, NAs are holding values. It seems like.1S cars are on par with newer .2 base 911s.
All good! To each their own. I love the loud and intrusive sound, haha. I wish it were even more. I appreciate the effortless torque of the .2, I really do. I just happen to have a different impression where I find the lesser torque/on-cam revier “ascending pull” more rewording and invigorating. I feel like allll cars these days have that same “down low” boosted feeling, therefore the more “classical” N/A pull feels more exotic and “special” to me. But I can understand how less down low can feel more strenuous to some. I just live for that 4K RPM rush, necessity to really sing for its pull, and accompanying sound. It’s my definition of a “911 experience.” It brings me a certain connection to the car. To me it gets boring to go fast without the engine really tickling your senses by notifying you. If I can go 15 MPH and feel invigorated, sign me up (go kart? Lol).

I think both cars are masterpieces. What Porsche did with a 3.0 turbo is amazing. And what they did with street car N/A flat six engine is also remarkable. 3.5 0-60 out of a naturally aspirated non-race spec 6 (what one mag got out of a 2012.5 S) is pretty astonishing.

And considering how tribalist we get toward these cars, I appreciate your candor in acknowledging the resale factor (seems many refuse to see any merit to the “enemy model,” even if said merit is cold, hard figures). It is pretty nuts to see some .1 prices reaching .2 prices indeed. I think the resale market is really signifying that the 997.2 and 991.1’s will be sort of 993-esque in water cooled N/A terms. Especially with the 992 being completely digital inside. When I looked at 991.1 prices last year (when I bought mine), I was shocked to see them not any lower than they were 2-3 years before that, and actually HIGHER than they were the year prior. Then when I looked at prices recently, it’s like they have barely if even depreciated since last year. As a .1 enthusiast, it’s a great testament. As a 911 owner, good resale and higher values on any model, really benefit us all in terms of keeping that 911 cachet at unreachably high levels.

Originally Posted by ragabnh
After test driving both 4 months ago, I bought 15 PDK GTS over 17 Manual S, despite the 17 had only 3k miles and the 15 had 22k miles, I just enjoyed driving the 991.1 GTS much more than the 991.2 S besides it looked much better with the Aerokit, I did not think that either was faster or accelerate better but I did not push the cars to the limit. At the end of the day it is what makes you more satisfied and that Exhaust sound of the GTS sealed the deal for me. And yes the price was the almost the same for both. And hey the 992 is coming soon and let us see how much the 991.2 depreciate at that time.
Well said.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
Your post just shows how different we all are: if I could only get a Porsche with a PDK I would not get one, and I like the torque with the turbos. So it seems Porsche has a car for all of us it seems and that is all that really matters.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:50 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A

And considering how tribalist we get toward these cars, I appreciate your candor in acknowledging the resale factor (seems many refuse to see any merit to the “enemy model,” even if said merit is cold, hard figures). It is pretty nuts to see some .1 prices reaching .2 prices indeed. I think the resale market is really signifying that the 997.2 and 991.1’s will be sort of 993-esque in water cooled N/A terms. Especially with the 992 being completely digital inside. When I looked at 991.1 prices last year (when I bought mine), I was shocked to see them not any lower than they were 2-3 years before that, and actually HIGHER than they were the year prior. Then when I looked at prices recently, it’s like they have barely if even depreciated since last year. As a .1 enthusiast, it’s a great testament. As a 911 owner, good resale and higher values on any model, really benefit us all in terms of keeping that 911 cachet at unreachably high levels.

Just remember, we are comparing .1S with .2 base for pricing. I don't believe the .1 base is doing as well with resale as the .1S. Personally, when I compared the .1S pricing to a new .2 base, it was new car all the way. I think the 991.2 will eventually hold its' own with respect to pricing. It is new, higher on the depreciation curve and is not yet fully appreciated. It will be known as "the quieter, faster 991". In the end, they are all great Porsches.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:10 PM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

We will see what the future holds, but I suspect the .1 GTS will be thought of as the very best sounding NA Porsche road car without Turbo Lag (and I do notice the Lag). The .2 is likely to be compared with the 992 since it will have a similar but less powerful engine. Buyers willing to accept the Lag compromise will make a buying decision based on aesthetic comparison of the .2 and the 2.
The .1 is the last development of the NA motor and it is amazing what power Porsche has made with it. That is demonstrated by how little tuners can do for it. The .2 is a tuners dream in that there is a huge amount of power to be had at a relatively low cost. To some degree, that divides buyers into two groups, those who want to drive cars as designed by Porsche, and those interested in hot-rodding. When buying a .2 some people will wonder if the engine was stressed by performance tuning. It will be hard to know for sure!
Porsche changed to Turbo power when they were forced to by Euro emission requirements. Porsche's response is the .2 engine and, as usual Porsche has built a fantastic car.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I've have had several turbo cars tuned in the past but based on the limited amount of driving my .2 GTS I do not think that I will be getting this one tuned since 450/405 is enough for me in the performance category and the high-flow cats will take care of the sound category. I may change my mind in a year or two but as of right now I have no desire for more, especially based on the steps to do such as removing the ECU, etc. And as far as what the future resale value will be, IDGAF.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:14 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by BLAM
We will see what the future holds, but I suspect the .1 GTS will be thought of as the very best sounding NA Porsche road car without Turbo Lag (and I do notice the Lag). The .2 is likely to be compared with the 992 since it will have a similar but less powerful engine. Buyers willing to accept the Lag compromise will make a buying decision based on aesthetic comparison of the .2 and the 2.
The .1 is the last development of the NA motor and it is amazing what power Porsche has made with it. That is demonstrated by how little tuners can do for it. The .2 is a tuners dream in that there is a huge amount of power to be had at a relatively low cost. To some degree, that divides buyers into two groups, those who want to drive cars as designed by Porsche, and those interested in hot-rodding. When buying a .2 some people will wonder if the engine was stressed by performance tuning. It will be hard to know for sure!
Porsche changed to Turbo power when they were forced to by Euro emission requirements. Porsche's response is the .2 engine and, as usual Porsche has built a fantastic car.
Well said. Turning 350 HP out of an N/A 6 and 400-420 HP out of a slightly larger N/A 6, with them NOT being fussy race spec engines, that can likely go hundreds of thousands of miles, is remarkable indeed. They only make 20 HP less than their respective counterparts, with no power adders. It’s a remarkable achievement. The 991.1’s are in the highest echolon of N/A cars performance. There aren’t many N/A cars in the world that will turn an 11 second 1/4, 3.5 0-60, and go around a track that fast. And certainly none with the full package, non-scarcity, and relative value of the 911.

I notice the lag too. I also will say that those who want to make their GTS’s more powerful, more power to you but seems nuts. Because the .2 GTS is already so powerful, I found it nearly impossible to not want to fish the tail out and roast the tires at every slight steering angle. I already would burn through tires constantly. More power and I feel the chassis would start to feel challenged.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:23 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Just remember, we are comparing .1S with .2 base for pricing. I don't believe the .1 base is doing as well with resale as the .1S. Personally, when I compared the .1S pricing to a new .2 base, it was new car all the way. I think the 991.2 will eventually hold its' own with respect to pricing. It is new, higher on the depreciation curve and is not yet fully appreciated. It will be known as "the quieter, faster 991". In the end, they are all great Porsches.
On a percentage (from brand new) scale, actually the .1 base is doing as well, if not better. There are .1 S’s selling for $10-$15K more now, that were almost $30K more in MSRP. Both are doing very well in resale since the 2017 came out. They truly haven’t really depreciated on a meaningful scale in years.

Power has never been the determining factor for 911 resale. And “the quieter version” has always been a recipe for a less revered 911 (or sports car in general). As these cars age, as always, it’ll be more “classic” and communicative elements that determine desirability. The .2 won’t be the exception, and I can say that as confidently as the market has already spoken on said .1. The 997.2 will also be highly valued. As it too hasn’t gone down since the .2 came out.

.1 sold more in the U.S as well, especially now that we’ve seen figures revealed that the GT3 has been OUTSELLING the entire line of Carreras in 2018 and the latter half of 2017. A GT model has never outsdold its Carrera counterpart for a full year until now. Which means even in the .2 age, an N/A 911 is still selling the most. Simply yet another example of the market already signaling to you where it will go.

When it comes to 911’s, “last of” of something that is considered a purist hallmark (air cooled, N/A, manual, one day steering wheel) is equal to gold. The only option for N/A now is the GT cars. And they don’t go down in price at all, due to being N/A.

I’d bet on a .1 selling for considerably more than an equal .2 once they’re all out of warranty, as much as I’d bet a .2 beating a .1 in a drag race.

BTW, I’m NOT suggesting the .2 will be “in the tank” in resale. It’ll do as well as 911’s always do. But the .1 just gets “lucky” by having a special *asterisk placed next to it, which always bodes well for 911’s.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:12 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Wishful thinking imho.

If only this was true when my friend traded in his 991.1 C2S for a (used) 991.2 C2S last month.
Now I understand that he should have been in the US instead of Europe.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

The 993 is revered and coveted by many because it is the last of the 911 Carrera air-cooled engines. Time will tell, but I anticipate that 911 Carreras with the last of the NA engines will be coveted as well. Maybe it is just me, but changing from NA to FI seems like an even bigger paradigm shift than changing from air-cooled to water-cooled engines. As K-A noted, the "early returns from New Hampshire" support the appeal of the NA Carreras because the 997.2 and 991.1 generations are holding their value very well.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsche has produced way to much 996, 997 and 991 for them to become collectors items or appreciate in value.
Except maybe for a very small amount of special limited cars.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:07 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

I am not sure I will ever regret moving up to a 2018 because my previous 2016 might be worth a few more dollars in a few years. I really don’t think people purchase a car for that reason. Who knows what or where we will be in 5 years. Living in the future is not for me. I like to live in the present and enjoy what I have now! This topic has snow balled. I love my .2 and maybe the exhaust is not as loud, but I am also 57 and don’t hear as well!
Old 11-18-2018, 08:24 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by woodranch
I am not sure I will ever regret moving up to a 2018 because my previous 2016 might be worth a few more dollars in a few years. I really don’t think people purchase a car for that reason. Who knows what or where we will be in 5 years. Living in the future is not for me. I like to live in the present and enjoy what I have now! This topic has snow balled. I love my .2 and maybe the exhaust is not as loud, but I am also 57 and don’t hear as well!
Well said. The new GTS is a monster. I had one for a full day in Stuttgart this past summer, was so hard to return it. I agree on your outlook, we are the same age. Live for now, enjoy everyday and if we are lucky, we'll get to see what they are worth in 20 to 30 years.

Quick Reply: 2016 GTS/2018GTS