Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Light Weight Bucket Seats - “After. Action Report” (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1110384-light-weight-bucket-seats-iafter-action-reportn.html)

flynpch 11-08-2018 05:59 PM

Light Weight Bucket Seats - “After. Action Report”

For all of you that purchased the LWBS option, would you do it again? I am about to buy a T and choosing between two cars on with 4 way and one with LWBS. The T will be a daily driver but one of five cars I drive so I have options. Would love to know if you would buy them again...

FLGT 11-08-2018 06:40 PM

Not me. Everyones different. Would sit in each as long as you can

white6speed 11-08-2018 06:49 PM

I sold a GT3 over the LWBS. People like them or don't, not much in the middle. Most women hate them. They are great looking but really a full time track seat.

wishman44 11-08-2018 07:03 PM

I had been in 18-ways for several years, and now buckets for a few weeks. I don't think getting in and out is any problem in the buckets but I can see how some think its a little bit of a pain. I do have some lower back issues, and the buckets do start to bother my back a bit after about 20 minutes where in the 18-ways it would take a 2 hour plus ride before back started to bother me. However, I bought a foam pad to help support the lower back and now I think riding in the buckets is as comfortable if not more than the 18-ways. My wife still hates them though. :-)

As everyone else will say, find someone who has them and go for a ride in the passenger seat. I don't think just climbing in and sitting in them is enough to judge.

mdrums 11-08-2018 07:11 PM

Depends on how you use the car, your body type and the looks you like

marinb 11-08-2018 07:28 PM

It’s what makes the T special, and I think it also changes the character of the driving experience (making it more sporty rather than touring). Since you’ve got so many cars, I say do it, it’ll make the T feel more special/different.

CamsPorsche 11-08-2018 07:30 PM

Had a GT3 with buckets...won't do it again unless full track use. My T has 4 ways...

BlackOptic 11-08-2018 07:33 PM

Love my LWBS in my T.

Pros for LWBS
  • Solid. (I have grown to dislike the adjustable lumber support in my other cars. Everytime I sit back I feel the thing pop. The LWB are solid.)
  • Sit straight (no slouching, posture is good)
  • Grippy (fits my body 6'-3", 215 lbs with broad shoulders) for the twistys
  • Have driven 4+ hours no issues
  • Look great
  • Wife loves it
  • Feels like a sports car, part of the ethos... I would never buy a P without. GT3/GT3RS/GT4 on my list because of the LWBS
Con's against LWBS
  • Getting in and out, so I've heard... no issue here. As I've said before, if I am not fit / agile / limber enough to have LWBS, I'll sell the P and hit the gym and yoga studio.
  • Just a little more lumbar support might be nice - I might take a look at a small pad under the velcro backs - I'd be very happy if it is solid /fixed.

Psorcery 11-08-2018 07:36 PM

I just sat in LWB seats and fell in love. Fits me like a glove.

Bxstr 11-08-2018 07:51 PM

I have the same issue in the 4 ways as I do the buckets, lack of thigh support since the front of the seat does not raise up or down. Other than that they are perfect.

sampelligrino 11-08-2018 08:22 PM

I had 4 way sport seats in my GT3 and now LWBS - love them. Really add to the sense of occasion for the car IMO and I find comfort to be better than the 4 ways (after I added some lumbar support behind the Alcantara insert). Only issue is getting in and out but I have the bolster protectors and I have the procedure down pat now. Passengers don't :cheers:

reacher 11-08-2018 09:49 PM

You need to try them. I sat in them and I couldn't fit properly. Bodybuilding is not compatible with LWBS, it's for skinny guys, I'm too wide. Even the 18 ways are too narrow with everything spread out, but I can manage with those. I ordered my GT3 with 18 ways, even though the buckets are cool and fit the car. They just don't fit me.

Archimedes 11-08-2018 11:21 PM

I will never own a Porsche without LWBS. After owning them I could never go back to sofas.

My back loves the support of the LWBS. I can drive all day in them. I would be achy after an hour in any of the sofas, and I’ve had them all.

Randy M 11-09-2018 12:08 AM

Lwb's are for the track and are simply not needed for street duty. They sacrifice daily practicality for lateral support you'll never need for the street. For a daily, 4-ways are the way to go. They still give plenty of support for the twisties and are a more aggressive seat than most fitted in other cars. If you're buying a T for weekend fun, then they might be a consideration. Most buy them because they look racy however.

Archimedes 11-09-2018 12:21 AM

That’s just nonsense. You might not like them but they’re definitely worthwhile in a street car. The key is to drive them for a while and see if they’re right for you. I’ve had 14, 4 and 18 way seats. The LWBS are far better than any of them IMO, and I’m a street driver only.