Sponsored by:

Light Weight Bucket Seats - “After. Action Report”

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flynpch
For all of you that purchased the LWBS option, would you do it again? I am about to buy a T and choosing between two cars on with 4 way and one with LWBS.
First of all - congrats on deciding to get a T Great car - you'll love it.

I've owned Porsches with 4ways ("SportPlus"), with foldable buckets ("GT2"), with leather, Alcantara, Nomex, SportTex....and I still own one with the LWBS and Alcantara inserts (981Spyder). Wifey and me are no young pups anymore but we still manage to get in and out of the LWBS with some "dignity" - once we are seated the verdict is very clear for us: best seats ever in terms of ergonomics and (surprise!) comfort ! 10 hours a day spirited drive on alpine passroads with an endless string of corners ? No problems at all - we get out fresh with minimal back fatigue even after such "extreme" driving experiences. And of course the LWBS are no race seats - far from it: nicely padded and electrical height adjustment (important for us as the Mrs is less tall than me). So I agree 100% with Archimedes' assessment, but....or should I say butt? everyone has a different body shape / weight etc. hence the only way to find out whether the LWBS are the right choice for YOU is obtaining some seat time in a LWBS equipped car (I have friends who sold their Spyder because the LWBS were causing them back ache on longer trips...)

Having said that now with our T we got the 4ways only due to a frequent rear passenger (though our T still is not equipped with rear seats) similar to Archimedes' avatar And of course you can't get the SportTex inserts with the T-stripes when speccing the LWBS (not a deal killer IMHO though I love the T interior package). I cannot say anything bad about the SportTex 4ways - obviously comfy for daily driving but still supportive enough for spirited (non track) spins in the Alps, you feel just not that integrated in the car compared to the LWBS experience and - for me and the Mrs - back fatigue kicks in earlier on long drives (say > 4 hours) though not by a huge margin (definitely not enough to spoil the drive). Bottom line: the 4ways are very good seats which I like a lot - the LWBS seats are best in class which I love Good luck with your decision - and as said, sharing experiences is nice but forget any peer group majority opinion on seats: it's your butt and the seat has to fit you !

Old 11-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Love my LWBS in my T.

Pros for LWBS
  • Solid. (I have grown to dislike the adjustable lumber support in my other cars. Everytime I sit back I feel the thing pop. The LWB are solid.)
  • Sit straight (no slouching, posture is good)
  • Grippy (fits my body 6'-3", 215 lbs with broad shoulders) for the twistys
  • Have driven 4+ hours no issues
  • Look great
  • Wife loves it
  • Feels like a sports car, part of the ethos... I would never buy a P without. GT3/GT3RS/GT4 on my list because of the LWBS
Con's against LWBS
  • Getting in and out, so I've heard... no issue here. As I've said before, if I am not fit / agile / limber enough to have LWBS, I'll sell the P and hit the gym and yoga studio.
  • Just a little more lumbar support might be nice - I might take a look at a small pad under the velcro backs - I'd be very happy if it is solid /fixed.
You forgot a con: deletes rear seat. Yes, some crazy people shove their kids back there and enjoy the car 4 up.

Also, this thread is highly amusing in that some people seem to be confusing their opinion with "fact".
Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You forgot a con: deletes rear seat. Yes, some crazy people shove their kids back there and enjoy the car 4 up.

Also, this thread is highly amusing in that some people seem to be confusing their opinion with "fact".
At 6’-3” My default seat position is all the way back. 2+2 cars are never considered back-seat-realistic.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:33 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Seems to be the same particular poster that imposes their opinion/facts on everything. My son loves riding in the back so couldn't even consider the buckets.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by dchang81
Seems to be the same particular poster that imposes their opinion/facts on everything. My son loves riding in the back so couldn't even consider the buckets.
Ignore list is useful. Although it still shows that a post was made.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:34 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Besides the fact the buckets don't fit my body shape, that's a good point. My GT3 doesn't have back seats, but Porsche specifically states that booster seats aren't allowed in bucket seats, so that's another reason for me not to get it. I get a lot of enjoyment from sharing my passion for cars with my family. They love riding in my GTS cab, I can take all tree of them in it and they have a blast going to and from school in it. With 18-ways in my GT3 I can take them for individual rides as well.

I'd love to have buckets but I'm too wide for them to be comfortable even for a little bit, and I like to go for multi-hour drives. Even my 18 ways are tight. With the bolsters spread all the way out, they feel too narrow around my shoulders/arms and push my shoulder blades forward. My Huracan had the same issue with the regular seats, really uncomfortable because they were so narrow.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Passive aggressive much?

This whole thread is opinion, the nonsense starts when people claim as fact that LWBS are just track seats.

Quick Reply: Light Weight Bucket Seats - “After. Action Report”