Carrera T vs Base Carrera C2

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 01:58 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by doc993
I think we posted at the same time, check out my spec...we may have similar tastes?!
We do, I should add I have a 993 too.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:56 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by doc993
I have links below to the two specs I was/am debating between. As similar as the C2 and T theoretically are, I ended up with two pretty different cars.

The C2 spec (to me) has way more elegance and aesthetic appeal than the T. I will never tire of looking at this car in my garage and the smells and textures of the natural leather, along with the two tone look of the interior with deviated leather seats will really make a unique experience in the cabin. Plus, overall the C2 spec is significantly less money than my T build.

With the T, the drive is what it is all about, so I went all in with everything but the bucket seats (my back needs the 18 way seats). Other than that, the options are limited, not a lot that one can personalize too much. My main problem is that I really do not like the Grey accents. I found that my goal when specing the T was less directed toward finding a look I really loved and more on how to find a look that made the Grey accents look the least bad. At best I can feel neutral about them with a Black or Silver exterior. All the other colors seems to clash (just my opinion). I do think the Grey accents look ok with the Miami Blue, which complements very well with the yellow calipers and yellow T interior, but I really don't want colors that loud (been there, done that). So, my spec on the T is mainly to max out the driving options and keep the look (inside and out) more subdued and clinical (i.e. lets just focus on driving). With that said, I certainly didn't hold back on certain upgrades (leather interior, sunroof, Bose system, etc). So, i'm under no illusion that I'm making the ultimate drive focused car.

So similar, yet, so different....

C2: http://www.porsche-code.com/PK9599N2
T: http://www.porsche-code.com/PKL3HEM8
Both specs look very nice. So you are going PCCBs on the T but base brakes on the C2? I'd add PCCBs on the C2 and place the order.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:28 PM
doc993
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Update...

Yesterday I placed a deposit and submitted a build on a 911 T. After driving the T once, I thought I still wanted a base C2 and the perfect interior and exterior that I wanted, but over time I was nagged by the memory of an intangible 'something' that I felt when driving the T. Even in stop in go traffic, it was fun. I ended up driving the T again and, obviously, changed my mind. I was able to spend about 30 minutes with it in various driving conditions (in traffic, highway, twisty backroads) and then did the same exact route in my 2017 C2 (PDK) back-to-back. It really is mind-boggling how the T feels like the same car and at the same time feels so much different. In the end, it wasn't even a choice, because the T is just so damn fun to drive. There is just an extra level of fun, sportiness, "it factor," whatever you want to call it. It seems way more than the sum of its differences to the base model.

Anyway, I love the 991 and I have be able to drive almost every variation of this generation (I have not driven any of the R/RS models) and I think the T can undoubtedly be considered to be one of the best all around cars and certainly one of the most fun of the 991s. After spending more time in the T, there was no way I was going to choose upgraded leather and a more preferred color/paint scheme that I can get in a C2/C2S/GTS over the difference in driving pleasure that comes with the T (especially when you can still spec a pretty sweet interior!). I loved my 2017 PDK C2 (sold yesterday as an early trade in, I hope you find a good home!) but I really missed driving a manual. I'm not interested in the 992 (at least not now), so my quest was to get the best 991 with a manual. Strangely enough my preferences came down to a GT3 vs base C2 vs T. A GT3 would be stretching me financially a little more than I am comfortable with right now and I wouldn't be able to custom build, but I do think, having driven the GT3, that a GT3 touring would be my ultimate 991. So, realistically (for me) it came down to C2 vs T in the quest for the best 991. I would be happy with either, but I just know I would be nagged by regret if I chose the C2 over the T, because, after all, the fun of the drive is what is paramount.

I have some time before my build is locked in. I plan to keep the car for good, so I don't want to leave any options on the table that I would later regret not adding. The last option I am debating on is the SportDesign Package. I am getting FAL, but I am still wondering if ground clearance may be an issue (especially because the whole front bottom lip is painted and will really show scratches). It would add another level of uniqueness to the car and I do think the look is an overall upgrade. But, I could say the same thing about adding leather to the fuse box cover. Any thoughts? I'd be open to other critiques/suggestions of the build. It all comes down to personal taste/use, but it is nice to hear what others think.

I am going to take delivery in LA and plan to break the car in over a two week road trip through the great state of CA! Pumped to join the T Club!!!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PK947GX1
Old 11-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Haliax
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the T Club!

One standard feature I am loving on my T that was an expensive upgrade on the base Carrera are the SportTex seats.

They are great and look even better with the pinstriping with the Carrera T interior package.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:26 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

Welcome to the bliss of T ownership. The shortened shifts, different gear ratios, sound and feel of the Sport-tex interior make this car special.

Smart choice...
Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Welcome to the bliss of T ownership. The shortened shifts, different gear ratios, sound and feel of the Sport-tex interior make this car special.

Smart choice...
Very well said!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
No, at least not to me.

Wanting to get to the bottom of exactly your question, a friend and I did a 30+ page road test with the T and C2 over 600~ miles for 000:
https://www.000magazine.com/shop/006
Dang, thought the link was to the article, lol.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy

It is! It's just a $75 link. lol

I know I'm a little late here, but for me, getting the T was the shorter shift ratio (MT), PASM, PTV, and RAS. I don't need buckets. I need a rear seat. But, I get why people spec those.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:55 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Surprised there are any copies of Issue #006 left.

Originally Posted by bonn72
for me, getting the T was the shorter shift ratio (MT), PASM, PTV, and RAS. I don't need buckets. I need a rear seat.
Same here!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by bonn72
It is! It's just a $75 link. lol
Sorry, gents! We burned through a lot more than $75 in fuel alone to create that story.

Then you add the cost of the photos, writing, research, etc and printing the story on 30 interior pages on paper thicker than most cover stock and…it ain't cheap. 000's model won't be for everyone, but I don't know a better way to get to the bottom of parsing two 911s like these (and a bit of GT3T), or how to publish the results in a better format. Hopefully, it creates a fun experience for the reader.

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
Surprised there are any copies of Issue #006 left.
Soft-cover issues 0, 2, 3, 4 are sold out, but I think 006 levels are still ok...

Last edited by stout; 02-06-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a .2 base C2 which is highly speced to my preferences of available options. Love my car and its 7-speed manual. I also had attended a couple Porsche event which gave me chances to try 911s with PTV, RAS.PDCC options. If I know the T model was going to release a year after my 17 .2 order, I’d probably wait for the T. The other thing I really want to have is the carbon bucket seat. However, I am very happy with my .2 base and have no intention to replace it.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:54 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Sorry, gents! We burned through a lot more than $75 in fuel alone to create that story.

Then you add the cost of the photos, writing, research, etc and printing the story on 30 interior pages on paper thicker than most cover stock and…it ain't cheap. 000's model won't be for everyone, but I don't know a better way to get to the bottom of parsing two 911s like these (and a bit of GT3T), or how to publish the results in a better format. Hopefully, it creates a fun experience for the reader.Soft-cover issues 0, 2, 3, 4 are sold out, but I think 006 levels are still ok...
Thanks Pete, I just placed an order for the issue online, so 006 levels just got a little lower

Looking forward to it!
Old 02-07-2019, 12:20 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Soft-cover issues 0, 2, 3, 4 are sold out, but I think 006 levels are still ok...
I'm very happy to own issues 000 through 008. I imagine issues 001 (not sold out? really?) and 006 (Carrera T issue!) will be gone soon. Each issue (or book) is loaded with tremendous writing and photography. There is really nothing else like it.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:42 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

i drove both. loved the T, but Ill probably never track my car. it had the carbon seats which looked amazing but i nearly had to turn sideways to sit in... could be a reason.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Thanks Pete, I just placed an order for the issue online, so 006 levels just got a little lower

Looking forward to it!
Sweet. Hope it meets you well, and if it does what it's supposed to, it should provide several hours of enjoyment on your terms and leave you with something nice to put out somewhere in your home. If you don't find that to be the case, please let me know!

Originally Posted by FORENN
I'm very happy to own issues 000 through 008. I imagine issues 001 (not sold out? really?) and 006 (Carrera T issue!) will be gone soon. Each issue (or book) is loaded with tremendous writing and photography. There is really nothing else like it.
Nice nice—all nine so far. Thank you for your business!

We only have some 001 because we had to do a second printing after guessing demand for that one incorrectly. So the first edition is sold out, and the second printing has an issue circle on the spine split into two blues if you look closely, as well as a "second printing + date" line on the inside front cover. I won't say we'll never do another second printing, but I wouldn't bet on it as the cost to fire up the presses for an issue isn't cheap (the cover alone is a very complicated deal).

Quick Reply: Carrera T vs Base Carrera C2