Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T vs Base Carrera C2

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

OP - It sounds like you are trying to create the "best experience" kind of car based on what you want in an experience. That's an awesome quest..I wish more enthusiasts thought this way instead of simply the more is better mentality. ( Which was me for many years by the way. I had an '18 GT3 before my T).

The question isn't Base vs T as the T is a base with a few more options available. The question is what's the combination of options, feel and sound you want in your 911 to give you that "best experience". I love my T and it's my 14th and favorite Porsche. But my perfect combo will be different from yours.

I would say that you should think hard about:
RAS - For me this is a must have as it makes the car feel much smaller and more nimble in daily driving - feels like my older, smaller 911's
Sport PASM - I like the lower look
Sport Buckets - I love them but opted for the 18 way since my passengers often didn't love getting in and out of them in my GT3
Sound - The sound is different in the T. If it's the right sound for you than its a big part of the experience.

No right or wrong answers both cars are amazing, but my advice is don't skimp, get exactly what you want. It'll be cheaper to do it completely right the first time, if not you'll rationalize doing it again.

Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:06 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
It'll be cheaper to do it completely right the first time, if not you'll rationalize doing it again.
Says the guy on his 14th Porsche!

No matter what, we all do it again, and again, and again.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:08 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Touche!!!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I wanted the base engine but extra options. PTS was not on the list so T made sense or a S

you probably won't get an allocation for a base any more, you may still get an allocation for a T or may be 4S or something.

in a few weeks no more allocations other than 992 ---- its coming
Old 11-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

BTW - no CXX on T of any type...none. you can only pick whats in the configuration - big Ps logic is that its a special model and no customization is allowed
Old 11-08-2018, 07:56 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
I had an '18 GT3 before my T).!
Me too. You're the second person I know who's done the same...
Old 11-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

^^^Good stuff right there^^^
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Talked to a top sale guy in FL Monday and he said the only 991.2 allocations our there were for 4S, GTS, and 4GTS. I locked in my T build with my dealership in NJ Wednesday for late January/early February delivery.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:16 PM
aaa335
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
BTW - no CXX on T of any type...none. you can only pick whats in the configuration - big Ps logic is that its a special model and no customization is allowed
yes, I asked for orange gauges to match paint and got the same response...ordered last week but was given same expected delivery date as you (2/8) Do you think that is accurate?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 PM
aaa335
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by doc993
Thank you for the replies. I did get a chance to test drive a T today. It definitely is a more spirited drive and I get the hype. I really love the short shifter and the gear ratios, but other than that I didn't see a huge difference in sound and weight, etc. I think I'm going to spec a base to my exact wants and add a short shift kit for $250. I'm probably leaving a little more driving enjoyment on the table, but having the rest of the car exactly how I want will more than make up for it.

What is your spec??
Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 AM
doc993
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stumil
Talked to a top sale guy in FL Monday and he said the only 991.2 allocations our there were for 4S, GTS, and 4GTS. I locked in my T build with my dealership in NJ Wednesday for late January/early February delivery.
I was told an allocation for a C2 or a T was limited, but available. I emailed the dealers in my area today, but no replies yet, will update when I get some new info. So, there are no T allocations left in Florida?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:44 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Not only paint to sample, but leather to sample is available on the C2. To me, that is the most interesting option on the configurator, especially now that PTS is ~$12k. $5600. To get the same or at least similar on a GT car s $30k and up.

Before I got a GT3 allocation I had on order a PTS/LTS C2 with wood trim and wheel.

I do love the LWB in the T (but I hate that they make you get alcantara steering wheel and gear shift with LWB) and I guess the slight package discount is nice (especially the free leather dash trim and console trim option as the C2 silver plastic is not great) as is the 7MT limited slip/S gear ratio, but if put to it, I’d probably get a C2 over a T. I don’t think I would spring for PTS on a C2 since the price bump (however, I fault no one who does), but something like a night blue metallic C2 over ascot brown leather to sample with leather extended dash and vents or maybe a black C2 with dark green or dark oxblood red leather would be a killer and unique car for T money so long as you did not tick too many option boxes. Even a NBM over the espresso leather would be awesome. To me, the better color and leather options would trump the LWBs and marginal performance options on the T (and the T interior package option colored thread and accents styling is not to my tastes, nor are the grey exterior accents and stickers).

It seems porsche offers so many models and options, but won’t quite let you get exactly what you want.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:45 AM
doc993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aaa335
What is your spec??
I have links below to the two specs I was/am debating between. As similar as the C2 and T theoretically are, I ended up with two pretty different cars.

The C2 spec (to me) has way more elegance and aesthetic appeal than the T. I will never tire of looking at this car in my garage and the smells and textures of the natural leather, along with the two tone look of the interior with deviated leather seats will really make a unique experience in the cabin. Plus, overall the C2 spec is significantly less money than my T build.

With the T, the drive is what it is all about, so I went all in with everything but the bucket seats (my back needs the 18 way seats). Other than that, the options are limited, not a lot that one can personalize too much. My main problem is that I really do not like the Grey accents. I found that my goal when specing the T was less directed toward finding a look I really loved and more on how to find a look that made the Grey accents look the least bad. At best I can feel neutral about them with a Black or Silver exterior. All the other colors seems to clash (just my opinion). I do think the Grey accents look ok with the Miami Blue, which complements very well with the yellow calipers and yellow T interior, but I really don't want colors that loud (been there, done that). So, my spec on the T is mainly to max out the driving options and keep the look (inside and out) more subdued and clinical (i.e. lets just focus on driving). With that said, I certainly didn't hold back on certain upgrades (leather interior, sunroof, Bose system, etc). So, i'm under no illusion that I'm making the ultimate drive focused car.

So similar, yet, so different....

C2: http://www.porsche-code.com/PK9599N2
T: http://www.porsche-code.com/PKL3HEM8
The following users liked this post:
Hop (06-04-2023)
Old 11-09-2018, 01:54 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

doc993

You and I seem to have similar tastes. I was writing up my post just as you were doing yours. That C2 build is amazing. NBM over two tone natural leather.

If I can offer a couple suggestions, rather than spending $660 on the wood steering ****, spend ~$1400 from tech equipment to get the the **** and the dash trim package in wood to add it to the wood to the dash but leave the leather on the door trims. The 1,000,000 911 did that. I’d also spring for the leather vents and slats over the steering colum as no matter what you do the back of the wheel is still black. Oh, and unless you are street parking, the sport design mirrors over the power folding as with sport design, the mirror bottoms are exterior color rather than black plastic.

If you are getting 18way, I would definitely go C2.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:55 AM
doc993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by evilfij
Not only paint to sample, but leather to sample is available on the C2. To me, that is the most interesting option on the configurator, especially now that PTS is ~$12k. $5600. To get the same or at least similar on a GT car s $30k and up.

Before I got a GT3 allocation I had on order a PTS/LTS C2 with wood trim and wheel.

I do love the LWB in the T (but I hate that they make you get alcantara steering wheel and gear shift with LWB) and I guess the slight package discount is nice (especially the free leather dash trim and console trim option as the C2 silver plastic is not great) as is the 7MT limited slip/S gear ratio, but if put to it, I’d probably get a C2 over a T. I don’t think I would spring for PTS on a C2 since the price bump (however, I fault no one who does), but something like a night blue metallic C2 over ascot brown leather to sample with leather extended dash and vents or maybe a black C2 with dark green or dark oxblood red leather would be a killer and unique car for T money so long as you did not tick too many option boxes. Even a NBM over the espresso leather would be awesome. To me, the better color and leather options would trump the LWBs and marginal performance options on the T (and the T interior package option colored thread and accents styling is not to my tastes, nor are the grey exterior accents and stickers).

It seems porsche offers so many models and options, but won’t quite let you get exactly what you want.
I think we posted at the same time, check out my spec...we may have similar tastes?!

Quick Reply: Carrera T vs Base Carrera C2