Sponsored by:

Carrera T vs Base Carrera C2

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 11:50 AM
doc993
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carrera T vs Base Carrera C2

I’ve looked on the forum and elsewhere and have seen the T compared to everything except its fraturnal twin the base 991.2. I currently own a 2017 991.2 base C2 with PDK. I love the car, bought it used, but I regret getting the PDK and really miss a manual transmission. Also. after buying several used cars, I really want to do a custom build and make ‘my’ car. As important as the drive is, the color, interior, wheels, etc also play a large role my overall enjoyment of the car.

I am considering a C2 or T. I’m trying to arrange test drives in both, but I was hoping some of you here had experience driving both and could offer your thoughts on the difference in the drive. The T sounds like a better driving experience, but the base model has way more options for interior and exterior customization. Overall, I’m not a huge fan of the T options in terms of color, interior, wheels, otherwise, I’d probably go straight for the T.

Thoughts? I realize there is a lot of subjective preference at play here, but is the drive of the T so much better that it outweighs the options available on a base model to really build the car how you want it from an aesthetic perspective? Why choose one over the other?
Old 11-07-2018, 12:16 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

I'd say, based on the above, just go with a C2. If you can still spec/order one. The T only makes sense if you buy into the T concept. If not, then paying less makes more sense to me. Many will challenge the notion of the reduced gearing, lighter weight, mLSD and PTV, PASM Sport, and RAS being able to make up the difference. It did for me, and many others, and voted with my wallet. Good luck in your choice!
Old 11-07-2018, 12:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by doc993
I’ve looked on the forum and elsewhere and have seen the T compared to everything except its fraturnal twin the base 991.2. I currently own a 2017 991.2 base C2 with PDK. I love the car, bought it used, but I regret getting the PDK and really miss a manual transmission. Also. after buying several used cars, I really want to do a custom build and make ‘my’ car. As important as the drive is, the color, interior, wheels, etc also play a large role my overall enjoyment of the car.

I am considering a C2 or T. I’m trying to arrange test drives in both, but I was hoping some of you here had experience driving both and could offer your thoughts on the difference in the drive. The T sounds like a better driving experience, but the base model has way more options for interior and exterior customization. Overall, I’m not a huge fan of the T options in terms of color, interior, wheels, otherwise, I’d probably go straight for the T.

Thoughts? I realize there is a lot of subjective preference at play here, but is the drive of the T so much better that it outweighs the options available on a base model to really build the car how you want it from an aesthetic perspective? Why choose one over the other?
No, at least not to me.

Wanting to get to the bottom of exactly your question, a friend and I did a 30+ page road test with the T and C2 over 600~ miles for 000:
https://www.000magazine.com/shop/006
Old 11-07-2018, 12:43 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

As SS says... Only go for the T if you want to take advantage of getting one or more of the following in the base:
  1. RAS
  2. LWBS
  3. mLSD/PTV
  4. Lighter weight/more noise.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:14 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
As SS says... Only go for the T if you want to take advantage of getting one or more of the following in the base:
  1. RAS
  2. LWBS
  3. mLSD/PTV
IMO a T needs all of these plus PCCB. If these are not part of your build list, go with a base.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:17 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

^^the only reason I didn't list PCCB is because you can spec that in the base.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:41 AM
doc993
Intermediate

Thank you for the replies. I did get a chance to test drive a T today. It definitely is a more spirited drive and I get the hype. I really love the short shifter and the gear ratios, but other than that I didn't see a huge difference in sound and weight, etc. I think I'm going to spec a base to my exact wants and add a short shift kit for $250. I'm probably leaving a little more driving enjoyment on the table, but having the rest of the car exactly how I want will more than make up for it.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:07 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doc993
Thank you for the replies. I did get a chance to test drive a T today. It definitely is a more spirited drive and I get the hype. I really love the short shifter and the gear ratios, but other than that I didn't see a huge difference in sound and weight, etc. I think I'm going to spec a base to my exact wants and add a short shift kit for $250. I'm probably leaving a little more driving enjoyment on the table, but having the rest of the car exactly how I want will more than make up for it.
This is the way I went on my second 991.2, this after having driven the T. Didn't need the PSE, and wanted silver wheels and PTS. Can you still get an allocation for a base?

Also still trying to figure out the T short shifter. My sense is that it is NOT the GT4 shifter for sale with some vendors, but rather just a shorter lever. Which I would be very interested to know more about.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
a friend and I did a 30+ page road test with the T and C2 over 600~ miles
Will you be my friend?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:00 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Will you be my friend?
But of course…

Those were good days...

The following users liked this post:
matthewlesko (12-16-2020)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

With the 991.2, the base and the T are at a level where the models above them are not as appealing as they used to be.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:43 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

For me, the main reason to take the C2 over the T is you can get PTS (although I'm not sure how many PTS takers there will be on a base 911 now that the price has been so jacked up). I wish PTS were available on the T. I'd love to see slate grey, signal yellow or cobalt blue metallic on the T.
The following users liked this post:
matthewlesko (12-16-2020)
Old 11-08-2018, 12:36 PM
crand002
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. RAS
  2. LWBS
  3. mLSD/PTV
Agreed.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:50 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

1. RAS
  2. LWBS
  3. mLSD/PTV
I'd add the shorter gear ratio to the list. But that's just me.

If I were *forced* to pick a 911 as a weekender it would unquestionably be the T. The base engine combined with mLSD/PTV and shorter gears make it a no-brainer.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:08 PM
doc993
Intermediate

@stout awesome pics! Looks like I started my subscription just a little too late and missed getting read your article, I got my first issue (#7) a few weeks ago. I will have to pick up the previous issues just to have a complete set moving forward, very impressive magazine.

Quick Reply: Carrera T vs Base Carrera C2