Giving Dealer Spec for first Porsche in the Morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:47 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Giving Dealer Spec for first Porsche in the Morning

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum. I've just worked out a deal for a new build-to-order 911 Carrera GTS. My first Porsche, so pretty excited, obviously.

I've been reading and researching here for a couple weeks, and have test-driven various Porsche models. Settled on the GTS as something that is reasonably performance oriented while still being something I can drive a lot as well as take on reasonably long trips. I test-drove an AWD GTS, and found that I liked the driving feel of the RWD 911 better. So I'm trading outright acceleration time for having a somewhat livelier front-end.

I'm trying to cap my budget for this car around 135K plus or minus a couple K (in pre-discount terms). I'm no kind of wealthy guy, at least not by my definition. Otherwise, I'd be looking for an GT2 RS or a 918.

Before I send the dealer my competed configurator code in the morning, I wanted to ask those of you who've been driving 911's for any opinions about options you feel strongly are must haves, or that should be skipped entirely. I don't mean purely aesthetic stuff. More like performance of comfort-related options.

Here's a configuration I'm leaning towards: http://www.porsche-code.com/PK4S8HF5

Also, should I ask the dealer for the commission code prior to handing over a deposit just to be certain there's an actual allocation? The agreement was worked with a nice enough SA. But we've never met in person, so I'm thinking I should trust, but verify.

I'd appreciate any advice, tips, feedback, or even insults if they are creative, as that's always good fun.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:28 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the Premium Plus package. And I would do something other than a all black interior, though that's popular.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. Here's a good read about options:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1029...e-options.html
Old 11-07-2018, 01:46 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would add this - PDCC with PASM Sport Suspension i.c.w. Rear Axle Steering

Remove FAL

Personal opinion if I built mine I would not get the sliding roof but it's a popular option and hard to find pre-owned without it.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

In the morning. That's funny. Keep reading. Are you confused yet?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...fied-with.html
Old 11-07-2018, 02:54 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I've modified some stuff and sent to the dealer: http://www.porsche-code.com/PKPTWJC1

It's not quite yet set in stone, and I realize I have some time, after the order is submitted, to make changes. But I think the above is pretty close to everything I feel I really want.

I think.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:57 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsaviano
I like the Premium Plus package. And I would do something other than a all black interior, though that's popular.
I can understand that. But for me, I mostly don't care about the interior all that much.

My first priority is performance and handling, second is exterior appearance, third is interior comfort, and last is interior appearance.

Having said that, I do like the all black. And this would be my first car purchase that's not a black exterior too. Although that could change.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:58 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Welcome to Rennlist. Here's a good read about options:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1029...e-options.html
Thanks. But wow! LOL

I have more reading to do, but the opinions run the gamut. I did notice that people deleted sunroofs a lot. But I tend to really like them.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by V999
and last is interior appearance.
Be careful. As this, being the driver and all, will be what you see and touch the most.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:03 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the updated build is better. Good choice removing the leather interior and going with PDCC/RAS. Also, I like the idea of Front Axle Lift, personally, as I have to park in the garage across the street from where I live due to the angle of the exit of the garage where I live, lol...

Here's how I would configure a car along the lines of yours, a bit cheaper at $137k: http://www.porsche-code.com/PK5SB850

GT Silver is, perhaps, my favorite color. Congrats!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:05 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAK GTS

Remove FAL

Personal opinion if I built mine I would not get the sliding roof but it's a popular option and hard to find pre-owned without it.
I did add the PDCC w/PASM Sport Suspension to my latest build (linked up a few posts). Read more about it last night here and, since I plan to drive it mostly on roads and take it on a few trips, the additional comfort it appears to afford will be appreciated.

I also tend to like flatter rides. Although, depending on how it actually works, I suppose it's possible it could potentially lead to an understeer-to-snap-oversteer issue given the RWD config. Once the car is broken in, I will take it to an empty parking lot somewhere (or a track if I can work that out) in wet and dry conditions to learn the car's tendencies, limits and warning signs. Impossible to do that on a test-drive on roads.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:21 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

In the morning. That's funny. Keep reading. Are you confused yet?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...fied-with.html
I was a little confused for sure. But I read into the evening and more this morning and am feeling more comfortable with my choices. I'll keep reading though. I wouldn't mind trimming some of the cost off, as it seems to keep creeping upwards.

As it turned out, I had more time today than I expected to keep tweaking it. Just sent the deposit and should get the paperwork back in a bit.

Thanks for the links.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:27 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAK GTS

Remove FAL

Forgot to ask, but why don't you like the FAL? Weight? Is there a big impact on handling?

My concern is that my driveway entrance is kind of steep and it's easy to scrape on it. I could have the entry apron redone, but that wouldn't help me with parking decks or other driveways/entryways.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:39 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
Forgot to ask, but why don't you like the FAL? Weight? Is there a big impact on handling?

My concern is that my driveway entrance is kind of steep and it's easy to scrape on it. I could have the entry apron redone, but that wouldn't help me with parking decks or other driveways/entryways.
I've gone over speed bumps with my GTS and havn't had a problem. However, if you have that steep of a driveway then it might be a requirement. It's additional complexity to the front suspension struts and is an expense that could be spent somewhere else.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:39 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Be careful. As this, being the driver and all, will be what you see and touch the most.
I hear you. That's why I got the upgraded 18-way seats, which I wasn't going to do originally. Will be more comfortable from everything I've read, especially the lumbar support.

I'm coming from a 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 and a '97 GMC Suburban that had duct-taped front seats. So even with the alcantera interior, absent additional aesthetic improvements, I am likely to be very satisfied with the 911 interior. I hope.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, I'm keeping the MS3 which is, even after 8 years, unbelievably fun to drive. With nothing more than coilovers and a stiffer rear motor mount, it has been just enormous, raw, wild fun the whole time. It vastly exceeded my expectations when I bought it. Not a bit of polish to it, which is where the magic comes from. I have tentative plans to eventually turn it into a trailerable, track-day-only car.

Quick Reply: Giving Dealer Spec for first Porsche in the Morning