Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convinced Porsches are crap, and dealer service even worse.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:56 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the cars are crap, but the dealer service is the worst out of any make car I've owned in my 30+ years of owning cars.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:28 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Wow, that’s a rough road you had (are) to take.

I’ve purchased and had service/warranty work done at Rusnak in Thousand Oaks and they have been great. Heck, they send me a text every two hours and a phone call near the end of the day with status to pick up or not. When not it’s normally been an unexpected widget that is at a warehouse a couple of hours away.

I have been in your shoes with my ex-ex AMG which was a big disappointment, but that’s another story, another beer.

Stay the course, Porsche is a great car, people, not so much sometimes.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:36 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah Pasadena Porsche is not the best dealership......actually all Rusnak isnt...sadly i bought mine at the Thousand Oaks Rusnak and my after sales experience have only been mediocre at best.......but they did have the right car at the right price for me so....i had no choice.

I would suggest going to Mckenna at Norwalk, they do a pretty decent job. I know is a drive....but if you can get to Pasadena.....might as well go another 20 mins south to Norwalk. Have been servicing both my Porsche there for the past 7 years with no complains. The Audi service isnt bad neither.......(they just been getting stingy with their loaner on the Audi side which I am not a fan of.....but that's another story)
Old 11-06-2018, 07:45 PM
phs0316
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be pissed too if I was in your shoes... HOWEVER, why don't we calm down, and start to make a good point NOT to take our car to Rusnak dealer for any service and hoping nobody from this forum buys car from them. If we can spread the words to all forums here & 6 speed plus more.... this would be a great pay back!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Sorry to hear of the hassles you've had!

I've had several Porsches over the years, and all but one proved to be VERY reliable, trouble-free cars. I wouldn't worry too much about a factory remanufactured transmission, as the GT4 guys get them all the time and the remanufactured pieces typically have the latest updates and qualify for the full factory warranty (I'd check on the latter). It's always tricky, but I try not to be "that customer" even though that isn't always easy. More and more, Porsche dealers are servicing a ton of cars…and I feel like our ranks (people who look at these cars as something to keep and enjoy in the long haul) are thinning. I think there is a different approach by all involved when they know the car is a lease to be returned for the next one—and it's a lot easier to approach the cars that way. I've had mixed results with Porsche dealers in that regard…sometimes noticing damage/scratches/etc. I am sure most of us have. The one that bugged me most was putting a new front lip on my GT4 and letting both the service advisor as well as the tech know it was new because the car was about to be sold and...wouldn't you know it. Nice scraaaaaaape on the new lip when I picked it up. Fairly minor, but there was no way they didn't hear it. What bothered me more than the damage was that no one said a thing. I chose to not say anything, either, and simply noted it when I sold the car.

What's that old phrase? Good help IS hard to find. But we can relax a bit as customers.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:05 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Rusnak, from both sales and service sides. I would never take my business to them.

This applies to all the makes they own Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, etc, in Pasadena. I would avoid them in totality.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:28 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Upscale Audio,

Sorry to hear about them. I've taken my Porsche's to Rusnack Pas but never experienced anything like that - but I always took the car and never had it towed, and never had anything other than regular maintenance done, since there was no need, except for Cam shafts once in a Turbo. However, having said that, once my service advisor left, to another dealer, I left with him. In 8 years, he always called me when promised, and I always had his cell phone. Your advisor is the one that makes sure you are satisfied. My sense is that they are selling so many cars nowadays, that they cannot give the service than an expensive car deserves. On Fiat/Alfa, I tried to schedule oil change in West LA and was told 3 weeks waiting time. Took the car to Dealer in East side with no appointment and the car was ready, and washed, in 2 hours. Plus ride to work. I guess it all depends on how the dealer is organized.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Ah, and for what it's worth: Great to hear about your Alfa. We had a 500 Abarth for two years and 18,000 miles and—but for a couple of minor things (door rattles fixed under a recall, and a shifter issue misdiagnosed and exacerbated by a dealer)—it was as reliable as a Toyota or Honda. Has been in the two years since we sold it to our nanny, too, and she loves it. I'd buy another, and may yet. If only that Alfa sedan could be had with a manual gearbox…
Old 11-06-2018, 09:24 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Didn't know if it was just me, but some of the guys at rusnak TO were complete ****** in both sales and service. Then again good service/integrity at car dealerships seems like the exception rather than the norm.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Ah, and for what it's worth: Great to hear about your Alfa. We had a 500 Abarth for two years and 18,000 miles and—but for a couple of minor things (door rattles fixed under a recall, and a shifter issue misdiagnosed and exacerbated by a dealer)—it was as reliable as a Toyota or Honda. Has been in the two years since we sold it to our nanny, too, and she loves it. I'd buy another, and may yet. If only that Alfa sedan could be had with a manual gearbox…
Let me be clear about this: My Alfa Quadrifoglio is the most exciting car I've ever driven. I've driven the Bugattti Veyron, McLaren's, I've owned Ferrari's including a Challenge Stradale, BMW M3's, M5, AMG cars, nothing is more fun. The 8 speed ZF tranny is fabulous....and if you read about its design you can see why.

It has a lightness that my previous favorite, the BMW E46 M3 had, but with so much more torque and power. And light years ahead in handling. In fact the handling makes my GTS seem a little uninteresting. And yes....as much as I can't help but punch it almost every day, it's been perfect. I had my first service at Ontario Alfa Romeo, and told them I was short on time. They did it while I waited, in less than 2 hours. And as much as they had some early software niggles for the first ones shipped, there's no buzz about transmission failures. Or IMS bearings.

Jalopnik cracks me up by pounding on Alfa for having 10 TSB's (Technical Service Bulletin) in the first production year. The Porsche Panamera, another "new" platform, had an average of well over 30 TSB's each year. 37 in 2010, 39 in 2011 and 39 in 2012.

At my age I've learned to not be wowed by any brand. I look at the reality. I sell high end electronics. The biggest names in high end audio are built like sh*t. I know. I'm a parts guy. But they charge twice or even four times what they should, so people assume "Oh my GOD it MUST be good at those prices!"

Panamera TSB list
Old 11-06-2018, 11:20 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the brand and the dealers
I personally am on Porsche number 13. I have had the opposite experience that you are having both in car and dealer issues. I am on my 5th TT car and they have been bullet proof daily drivers.
Sorry to hear about your issues but cannot agree with calling the cars crap. Not my experience at all.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I believe next car for the house will be a Stelvio Quadrifoglio Verde - best SUV of the year by either R&T or C&D, I don't remember well. All I read about that SUV is very positive. Good pricing on those, cheaper and more powerful than other pricey options in the segment. It should be fun.
I had 2 Fiats, both extremely reliable. Unfortunately I was rear ended driving my 500 Abarth just 100 miles after I upgraded brakes to 6 piston Wilwoods, added carbon fiber bits and enhanced front suspension, so total loss. Most fun car for the price ever. Don't get stuck on brands.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:35 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

To the OP: And you still have the car because? If you are looking for sympathy here good luck since I am expecting my just my 4th Porsche and they were all virtually trouble free and the dealer services I had were great so it seems you are in the vast minority.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:02 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

What a nightmare. Porsche really needs to try and get some uniformity in car care and customer satisfaction. My experience with my local dealer has been up and down although the repairs have always been done well. My dealer is part of Autonation and I always wonder if that had anything to do with it, as the dealership seems understaffed.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:16 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
To the OP: And you still have the car because? If you are looking for sympathy here good luck since I am expecting my just my 4th Porsche and they were all virtually trouble free and the dealer services I had were great so it seems you are in the vast minority.
Because the car is paid for, I enjoy it, and I have an 8 year Fidelity warranty for one thing.

I'm not new to Porsche. I bought my first one, a 914-6, when I was 20. Just because I had a problem and you did not doesn't mean I should not state the facts. And IF they are so dependable, weren't you recently offering advice on how to get the best price shopping for a Fidelity warranty? If they've all been trouble free why the service contract? And why do so many owners opt for them? Be honest.

I'm bitching about two things:

Getting a remanufactured transmission when the car has 10k miles

Poor service at the dealer. It's not that they are not "nice". Just chaotic and poorly organized. Here's another example: They knew well I was not pleased to have it go back after being without it a month after they couldn't order the right headlights. Now the car is supposed to get special handling by the shop foreman. I told them I had a trip planned (that I already cancelled twice with it gone) and asked them to make sure to order the illuminated door jamb light right away while they were figuring out the leak. Makes sense, right? The light is out, order a replacement. That way, if the leak is just a gasket, I'm good to go.

Nope. They waited. I had to point it out AGAIN to ORDER THE LIGHT and they said "Oh....you're right." Duh.

Quick Reply: Convinced Porsches are crap, and dealer service even worse.