Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I think PCCB is worth the upgrade on a 911T

Old 11-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Stone scoring on the barrels and chipped calipers both due to the minimal clearance. I'm out.
3800 Miles on mine so far - several Autocrosses and the occasional dirt or gravel road...zero chips or scoring.

Last edited by Hurricane; 11-07-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Skip.

I would put that money into the wheel and tire budget.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:21 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Skip.

I would put that money into the wheel and tire budget.
Agreed. Doubt anyone here would notice change in unsprung weight or overall weight saving. Randy Probst(?) couldnt tell the difference. Cool looking car...your Wife will love it.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:27 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

My last sports car had carbon ceramic brakes. When I ordered my new Porsche, I select PCCB. They are incredible. Cost was not an issue for me, it was a question of whats the best. PCCB.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:32 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Love my PCCBs.
But if I was going to track my car, I would go with the steel brakes. Ceramics are just too costly as a consumable for heavy track use.
On the subject of PCCB's and track, I was shopping for a CPO two or three years ago and a potential car had just been in-processed at the dealer. However, the sales person I had come to know through a prior purchase gave me a warning Apparently the car had been tracked heavily during its 13k mile life since they were going to have to replace the PCCBs. They were already beyond CPO'able specs! However, I understand the newer PCCBs are much better with track life, but it would still give me pause IF that was my intended use since my pockets aren't quite that deep.

I wouldn't be concerned myself since I only autocross and avoid real high-speed track use, but it was an interesting problem to see. I could certainly use less dust as the dusting on my current brakes against my gloss black wheels is the only thing that annoys me about my current car. I would certainly be more open to PCCBs after this.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I have no hard evidence of this but I recall reading somewhere around here ... there is no weight difference between the BASE brakes (standard on the T) and the PCCBs. I believe they weigh the same or very close to each other. So the real difference is perhaps no brake dust, greater stopping power, etc ... but not sure weight is an advantage? On the other hand, the S brakes (RED) are heavier.

Any one know for sure if this is true or not? FWIW I didn't spec them on my T as I couldn't rationalize spending nearly 10% of the cost of the car on brakes alone.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:46 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

PCCB 's will return some % on resell but even if they did not they are worth it for dust alone. I regret not having them on my Macan but bought it off the dealer lot. Never buy another Porsche without them. Time is worth something and 45 minutes to clean steel is not worth it.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by StormRune
On the subject of PCCB's and track, I was shopping for a CPO two or three years ago and a potential car had just been in-processed at the dealer. However, the sales person I had come to know through a prior purchase gave me a warning Apparently the car had been tracked heavily during its 13k mile life since they were going to have to replace the PCCBs. They were already beyond CPO'able specs! However, I understand the newer PCCBs are much better with track life, but it would still give me pause IF that was my intended use since my pockets aren't quite that deep.

I wouldn't be concerned myself since I only autocross and avoid real high-speed track use, but it was an interesting problem to see. I could certainly use less dust as the dusting on my current brakes against my gloss black wheels is the only thing that annoys me about my current car. I would certainly be more open to PCCBs after this.
I do autocross and they don't worry me. But for exactly the reasons you mentioned, I won't do DEs with PCCBs. I would rather have cheaper steels to replace. For day to day driving, love the feel, the looks, and the lack of brake dust.

The new "white" Porsche’s Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB), which will apparently be an option on the upcoming 992, are an interesting development, though. Lasts 30 percent longer than steel, reduced brake dust, and cheaper than PCCBs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/in...-coated-brakes
Old 11-06-2018, 12:22 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

I do autocross and they don't worry me. But for exactly the reasons you mentioned, I won't do DEs with PCCBs. I would rather have cheaper steels to replace. For day to day driving, love the feel, the looks, and the lack of brake dust.

The new "white" Porsche’s Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB), which will apparently be an option on the upcoming 992, are an interesting development, though. Lasts 30 percent longer than steel, reduced brake dust, and cheaper than PCCBs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/in...-coated-brakes

Hopefully after PSCB launch PCCB after market price will drop...

Old 11-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by nilaz
That would be nice!

(I have read that they are very expensive to make so my hopes are not up that high, though...)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Stone scoring on the barrels and chipped calipers both due to the minimal clearance. I'm out.

I have to say I do not have that issue and I have over 10k on mine. I absolutely love the "no brake dust" aspect of the PCCB's and find them unbelievable in performance after having several Pcars with normal steel brakes. I would do it again. .
Old 11-06-2018, 12:50 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
If I ever decide to order a 992, I will spec the PSCB. They seem like such a good compromise.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:20 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

That would be nice!

(I have read that they are very expensive to make so my hopes are not up that high, though...)
The problem that I realised recently is that although when you spec a new car PCCB cost is around 10K USD if you take a decision to install afterwards OEM Porsche PCCBs you need at least double price.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:35 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
If I ever decide to order a 992, I will spec the PSCB. They seem like such a good compromise.
Agreed. You get the massive rotor size at a lower cost. Love PCCB, but I am definitely intrigued by PSCB.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

PCCB on my 5 year old 991.1. No issues. No stone chips. Service guy says they look brand new. I don't track the car at all. Very happy with my choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why I think PCCB is worth the upgrade on a 911T