Sponsored by:

Trip to PECLA

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 PM
dmourati
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trip to PECLA

I stopped in to PECLA as a gift to myself earlier this month. I had a blast.

I went in a pretty bad driver and came out a less bad driver.

Cars picked: 991 GTS PDK, 991 Carerra Manual, 991 GT3 Touring.

My best performance was on the kick plate. My worst was the skills course. But I kept at it. My instructor was pretty clearly scared a few times. I probably pushed it too hard for my skill level.

For me, I'm convinced on the manual transmission. That was kind of the whole point of the day so I feel good about that decision.

Manual shifting on the straightaway is worth the price of admission for me.

I'd love to compare notes with anyone else who's visited either this one or the one in ATL.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice! I want to go and terrorize the instructor too. Did he intervene at all?

Which was your favorite car? If you could do it again which other car would you try?

Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 PM
dmourati
Intermediate

He intervened plenty.

I liked them all. The best moment was the first going through the gears on the carrera manual, the first one I have driven in years.

I think I would do a lot better on the track in the PDK as I was overloaded just braking, steering, accelerating, navigating. I'm really happy with myself for handling that GT3. The touring is badass.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:50 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

How exactly does the instructor intervene? By grabbing the wheel?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:03 AM
dmourati
Intermediate

He grabbed the wheel 3-4 times at least. He gave instruction on top of that. Telling me what to do, where to go, when to do what, etc.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:05 AM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I love this place!! I made a video about my recent trip.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I've had an opportunity to visit Atlanta and LA. We live in ATL, so we did PEC delivery for my girlfriends 718 in May 2017. She did all the driving there as it was her experience and she had an excellent time.
For LA, we were on vacation and this year and like doing Porsche related things. So I purchased the 911 Mastering the Manual Experience. She wasn't as comfortable with her instructor in LA. They didn't have the same time to get to know each other and he didn't challenge her the same way they did in Atlanta. For me, however, it was awesome. Each instructor takes a different approach on where to start and how to progressively build skill. So we did the top speed run into the carousel first, then the low friction course, the skid plate, and lastly the track itself.
The instructor I had was excellent. He went through every experience first, explaining what he was doing, and then transitioned me to the driver's seat. He coached, corrected, encouraged, and recognized as needed.
I also had a chance to do a Porsche dealer day at Barber and I think next year I'll pay for their 2 day class.
The Smoking Tire also just did a video from PECLA on the new advanced driver program being offered that also looks solid. I'd just prefer the actual Barber Porsche School.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:57 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I did PECLA earlier this year. I enjoyed the day but would have enjoyed a track day better I feel. The road course is narrow with concrete lining, so expensive if you push too far. I understand that Porsche gets to do this on the understanding that it's not a race track, it's better for drivers who don't already own a 911. The wet handling courses are so wet/slick it's like ice or snow at best, you go so slowly that I didn't find it much fun. Turn-in understeer and lift-off oversteer is experienced on a hilly course but oh so slowly, when this happens in the real world it's very quick and scary. The big area out back with a slalom could be well used for a damp road experience. All this said, I admit to getting a little queezy after driving a number of laps of the undulating road course, I wouldn't go that quick on public roads.
So I'm not gushing about it but YMMV.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:54 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dmourati
He grabbed the wheel 3-4 times at least. He gave instruction on top of that. Telling me what to do, where to go, when to do what, etc.

Originally Posted by iammacey
I've had an opportunity to visit Atlanta and LA. We live in ATL, so we did PEC delivery for my girlfriends 718 in May 2017. She did all the driving there as it was her experience and she had an excellent time.
For LA, we were on vacation and this year and like doing Porsche related things. So I purchased the 911 Mastering the Manual Experience. She wasn't as comfortable with her instructor in LA. They didn't have the same time to get to know each other and he didn't challenge her the same way they did in Atlanta. For me, however, it was awesome. Each instructor takes a different approach on where to start and how to progressively build skill. So we did the top speed run into the carousel first, then the low friction course, the skid plate, and lastly the track itself.
The instructor I had was excellent. He went through every experience first, explaining what he was doing, and then transitioned me to the driver's seat. He coached, corrected, encouraged, and recognized as needed.
I also had a chance to do a Porsche dealer day at Barber and I think next year I'll pay for their 2 day class.
The Smoking Tire also just did a video from PECLA on the new advanced driver program being offered that also looks solid. I'd just prefer the actual Barber Porsche School.
How fast were you going through the carousel? Is it a full replica off the ring? Which car were you driving? This post sold me on this. I think I just found my other go to even during the LA auto show.

Originally Posted by _RS_
I did PECLA earlier this year. I enjoyed the day but would have enjoyed a track day better I feel. The road course is narrow with concrete lining, so expensive if you push too far. I understand that Porsche gets to do this on the understanding that it's not a race track, it's better for drivers who don't already own a 911. The wet handling courses are so wet/slick it's like ice or snow at best, you go so slowly that I didn't find it much fun. Turn-in understeer and lift-off oversteer is experienced on a hilly course but oh so slowly, when this happens in the real world it's very quick and scary. The big area out back with a slalom could be well used for a damp road experience. All this said, I admit to getting a little queezy after driving a number of laps of the undulating road course, I wouldn't go that quick on public roads.
So I'm not gushing about it but YMMV.
Were you mainly worried about wrecking their car?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:00 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Had my car delivered here with a track day (2 hours) and lunch. Was super fun. I was a little hesitant to push the car (their car, same model) too hard as it was my first time on track... Instructor was REALLY good though. Would love to go back if i lived closer...
Old 10-16-2018, 03:52 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Were you mainly worried about wrecking their car?
Not too much at the time, but they do get cars wrecked and it's on your dime, the road course is like a road so not very fast. The slidey stuff is way too slow for wrecking to be a problem.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:13 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery

How fast were you going through the carousel? Is it a full replica off the ring? Which car were you driving? This post sold me on this. I think I just found my other go to even during the LA auto show.
It was described as a direct replica of the 'Rings carousel. As for speed, I don't know. I was so excited to experience it I didn't pay attention to speed. The instructor just explained pace is important. Too slow and the electronics think the car is tipping over and all the dash lights come on. True or not, it was awesome.

I drove a Carrera S manual. Since I have a GT4 and she has a 718 we decided the 911 would be a great change of pace.

No regrets. If you sign up let me know and I'll share my instructors name. He was legit.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:32 AM
dmourati
Intermediate

I did the carousel at 40+ and sometimes a bit more in all three the GTS, Base manual, and GT3. It was pretty fun. Braking from 115 to 40 was fun too.

electronics think the car is tipping over and all the dash lights come on
This happened to me. i had to turn off the ignition, the instructor had to hold the key out of the window, and then some setting got reset and we were off again.

Quick Reply: Trip to PECLA