Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated steering wheel ? Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:54 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

My 911 doesn't have heated steering. When I took it for service recently, I got a Macan as a loaner. I had ordered my 991.2 as analog as possible. The Macan on the other hand was totally loaded. After a few miles, I noticed the wheel was warm. Total confusion 'til I noted the symbol on the dash. Now the problem, how do you turn the darn thing off. Spent about ten minutes looking a every logical spot for the off button - nothing. Finally resorted to the interweb. Whoever decided to hide that innocuous little button in that invisible spot used a logic I'll never understand.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:06 PM
J**2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It’s all good FUNNY

ok to make a long story short my heated wheel works fine !!
why the confusion ??

well when I bought my car I asked the salesman how to turn on the heated wheel. He pointed to a button on the console with an A on it and a circle. Ok kinda looks like a steering wheel. So when I wanted to turn the heating on I pushed it. Now I noticed the stop start feature was disabled but I figured this just ment the heated steering wheel was drawing too much power heating so the engine stayed on. For several days I pushed repeatedly all the while getting no heat. I even sat there pushing the button for ten seconds. (See above note re pushing for a second or two. Nothing. Must be defective huh ?

so I called Porsche service today and a polite gentleman called me back and explained where the button was :-). I’m going to kill that salesman 😁

by now now you are probably laughing so hard you are crying.

God if I feel like such a neube.

Have a a great evening !
Old 10-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by J**2
why the confusion ??

well when I bought my car I asked the salesman how to turn on the heated wheel. He pointed to a button on the console with an A on it and a circle. Ok kinda looks like a steering wheel. So when I wanted to turn the heating on I pushed it. Now I noticed the stop start feature was disabled but I figured this just ment the heated steering wheel was drawing too much power heating so the engine stayed on. For several days I pushed repeatedly all the while getting no heat. I even sat there pushing the button for ten seconds. (See above note re pushing for a second or two. Nothing. Must be defective huh ?

so I called Porsche service today and a polite gentleman called me back and explained where the button was :-). I’m going to kill that salesman 😁

Have a a great evening !

Glad it works for you now!
Old 10-17-2018, 11:29 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Lol, J**2, that's funny. Aren't you an Engineer?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 PM
J**2
Instructor

Default Shrink

Originally Posted by _RS_
Lol, J**2, that's funny. Aren't you an Engineer?
not an engineer although my college degree was in physics

im actually a 60yo psychiatrist
Old 10-18-2018, 01:05 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

why the confusion ??

Have a a great evening !

oh boy.....LOL....this is a new low for SA knowledge about the car they sell....unforgivable
Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

For future reference for those searching for where the switch is:

Switching the heated steering wheel on and off

Fig. 220: Heated steering wheel button

1. Engine is running.
  • Press the button in the central steering wheel spoke (Fig. 220), until the message Heated steering wheel on or Heated steering wheel off appears briefly on the multifunction display.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

And for the 991.1: (note - it's behind the bottom of the steering wheel versus at the base of the steering wheel on the 991.2)

Steering Wheel Heating
The steering wheel heating can be switched on and off using the button on the rear of the steering wheel when the ignition is switched on.

Switching steering wheel heating on/off
  • Press button.
    The message "Steering wheel heating switched on" or "Steering wheel heating switched off" appears on the multi-function display for 2 seconds.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

By the way, you might want to let your salesman know that the button that looks like a pair of binoculars does NOT activate a hidden pair of binoculars - it is for the PSE!

Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Note to self - never ask a Porsche salesman anything about the operation of a Porsche (really applies to all car salesmen)
Old 10-18-2018, 01:24 PM
J**2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Note to self - never ask a Porsche salesman anything about the operation of a Porsche (really applies to all car salesmen)
amen to that
Old 10-18-2018, 01:27 PM
J**2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hurricane
By the way, you might want to let your salesman know that the button that looks like a pair of binoculars does NOT activate a hidden pair of binoculars - it is for the PSE!

funny alas I do not have this 😞
Old 10-18-2018, 03:20 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

why the confusion ??

so I called Porsche service today and a polite gentleman called me back and explained where the button was :-). I’m going to kill that salesman ��

Have a a great evening !

Please see earlier post!

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
You definitely feel it, it gets warm very quickly. Are you seeing the heated steering wheel message on your gauge display screen confirming you've activated it on the bottom between the bottom spoke of the wheel?
Glad you figured it out though!
Old 06-05-2019, 10:21 AM
pishter
Intermediate

Can can anyone tell me which fuse to check? Looking in the manual at the fuse diagram, there is not one labeled “heated steering wheel”.

Yesterday, mine stopped working. No message when pressed.

Thanks.

will check fuse tonight
Old 06-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe it's because my BMW had a crappy heated wheel, but the Porsche heated wheel feels very nice and warm.

Quick Reply: Heated steering wheel ? Problem