Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 991.1S loud enough to get you a ticket at high RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 03:41 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is a 991.1S loud enough to get you a ticket at high RPMs?

There are very few places I can drive my 991.1 C4s hard where I live and I feel like just as I'm enjoying the acceleration and sound inside from getting over 5k rpm in 2nd gear I'm afraid a cop or someone will hear the high rpm and assume I'm going much faster than I am. When I had a non sports car loaner car that was quiet I noticed I was driving faster than in the 911 and could hardly tell since it was so quiet. Do you think revving close to red line is loud enough to get me in trouble in a 45 mph zone? Just seems like I can never really use the engine in the car since it has such tall gears
Old 10-13-2018, 04:34 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'd be more concerned about a "display of speed" violation than an exceeding decibel ticket on an unmodified DOT USA car. Like a cop is going to have a decibel meter?
Old 10-13-2018, 05:43 PM
maxpowers
Pro

It's not that I'm afraid of a ticket specifically for exceeding a certain decibel, but that the engine sound will draw unwanted attention. Sometimes you can hear a car coming from a mile away because of the sound. So I'm afraid if I'm revving the engine a cop that wouldn't even glance in my direction if I were in a luxury car will be on guard.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:05 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

In my town, the cops actually do have decibel meters as lots of loud motorcycles rip down Pacific Coast Highway and are exceedingly loud. They have signs warning people as you drive into town. I have noticed that when our cars are in sport mode the sound seems louder due to the piped in intake noise into the cabin. 911's are relatively quiet compared to some Mustangs and certainly Ferrari's and Lamborghinis of which there are many of each here in Orange County.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:15 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Where do you live? Around Chicagoland, a lot of folks have loud cars. You can drive as loud as you want and cops are easy to spot. And of course, we have highways here that allows folks to redline in 2nd gear and still be near the speed limit. You can hear race bikes on Interstate 290 from miles away. One thing I like about Chicago - the cops don’t bother folks for fast driving on the highways too much. There are too many cars anyway.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:03 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Cant tell if this is a serious question or a troll. If serious what a ridiculous thread. lol

Besides that fact that no unmodified car is ever going to get a noise violation in 2nd gear., if you are approaching redline in 2nd in a 45 you will be exceeding the speed limit by so much worrying about a noise violation is the least of your concern.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:41 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Cant tell if this is a serious question or a troll. If serious what a ridiculous thread. lol

Besides that fact that no unmodified car is ever going to get a noise violation in 2nd gear., if you are approaching redline in 2nd in a 45 you will be exceeding the speed limit by so much worrying about a noise violation is the least of your concern.
I didn't know there was such a thing as a noise violation. I'm simply asking if the car is extremely loud on the outside when you get to high RPMs as I don't want to draw attention to myself. Maybe not redline, but I'd like to actually be able to use some of the NA engine. The highway speeds around me are 55. So are the cars geared to make it impossible to use without excessive speeding?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:54 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

[QUOTE=murphyslaw1978;15358375]
Where do you live? Around Chicagoland, a lot of folks have loud cars. You can drive as loud as you want and cops are easy to spot. And of course, we have highways here that allows folks to redline in 2nd gear and still be near the speed limit. You can hear race bikes on Interstate 290 from miles away. One thing I like about Chicago - the cops don’t bother folks for fast driving on the highways too much. There are too many cars anyway.
[/QUOTE

SHHHHHHHH......I love the Edens and Kennedy Autobahns.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:56 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I didn't know there was such a thing as a noise violation. I'm simply asking if the car is extremely loud on the outside when you get to high RPMs as I don't want to draw attention to myself. Maybe not redline, but I'd like to actually be able to use some of the NA engine. The highway speeds around me are 55. So are the cars geared to make it impossible to use without excessive speeding?
Sport...enjoy the music..who gives a crap what anyone else thinks.

And if you don't want the attention...go buy a Honda.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:39 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I was going to test out one of these fancy devices in Edmonton, but apparently I wasn't the only one with this idea

https://globalnews.ca/news/4446261/edmonton-vehicle-noise-lcd-displays-complaints/
Old 10-14-2018, 08:52 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Stock Porsche’s are not loud ...at any rpm. To me the car in stock form sounds horrible.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:11 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott

Exactly right.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:24 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

On the outside, a 991 with stock exhaust (PSE or otherwise) isn't nearly as loud as it sounds like it is from the inside. I've tested this with both stock and aftermarket exhausts by having my son do drive-bys on-throttle at high RPMs, off-throttle (to get pops), etc. I was quite surprised how docile it was when heard from the road side.

During autocross, I've asked friends about how the car sounded to them from the side of the course. The answer was always that the car was rather quiet... until I switched to an aftermarket exhaust on the prior 991.1.

Just get someone you trust to do some drive-bys on a safe isolated back road somewhere, you'll see what I mean. Or listen to other similar cars in a PCA group drive if you do those.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:32 AM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My 991.1 GTS just passed 96 dB sound check at a local race track WITH the sharkwerks side muffler delete pipes. FYI
Old 10-14-2018, 02:16 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by phefner
Sport...enjoy the music..who gives a crap what anyone else thinks.

And if you don't want the attention...go buy a Honda.
I enjoy the sound, but not getting tickets.

Quick Reply: Is a 991.1S loud enough to get you a ticket at high RPMs?