Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T vs Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In 1968 the Carrera T won the first Monte Carlo race for Porsche. 35 cars were holmuligated by Porsche for privateer race teams. Those cars came with the R (rally kit option) though it was never officially badged on the car. This option from Porsche gave the T a 50 kg reduction in weight by removing sound deadening, removing back seats, adding LSD, light weight door panels and door pulls, upgraded Koni suspension and up rated front and rear sway bars. Among other things like bigger oil coolers, and roll bar.
Compare the old T to the new T and you recognize and understand the design and build philosophy.
The last year of the T Porsche changed the car and gave it a new fuel injection system, exhaust, and a slight horsepower boost. The same thing they are doing to the proposed 992 version.
I do not see a plot or conspiracy by Porsche to dupe it’s loyal purist enthusiasts. I see a return to Porsche’s past reviving a great model design that was highly successful both on and off the track. FORD, CHEVY, AND DODGE have all done similar things with throw back cars of there own. Modern versions of past performance models.
The corvette grand sport is a lower HP cheaper priced version of there top tier car. Every review of the grand sport has said that it is actually a better all around car to drive and enjoy.
I agree with SS ANALYSES ultimately with the 3.0 cars the safe reliable ceiling for HP and TQ is the same across the line up. It doesn’t matter what body the engine is in. If the 3.0 is capable of safely and reliably producing (hypothetical value) 600 hp the question becomes what’s the cheapest way to get to 600 horsepower wth the best chassis setup. I would say the T offers the best chassis setup for the best price and the ease of HP increase demonstrated by Cobb and BGB and others would lend to the T being a cheaper build. Resulting in a overall lighter finished product. This is the same philosophy Porsche used in 1968 and why they chose the T over the S to holmuligate and send to Monte Carlo.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:14 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
I think it was Walter Rohrl who said that 350 hp is enough for a street car.
Sorry- Off Topic- But this is Walter's best saying:

The following users liked this post:
Jeahbladejeah (01-08-2020)
Old 10-13-2018, 03:19 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

^^^ Both these above. Geez. Maybe threads like this are worthwhile after all... Thanks for that info, guys.Much I didn't know and greatly appreciate!

To be clear, I am not bashing anyone's decisions. Anyone that can afford one of these cars, in any stripe, is a lucky person. But when I see some of the stuff slung around here, I like to comment. Whether it's useful or not is up to you...

And just for grins:

Carrera Targa 4 GTS Build at USD 159,540

S
Old 10-13-2018, 06:24 PM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2017 Carrera S - PDK RWS and traded it for a 2019 Carrera T - MT RWS

The manual T, at least in my opinion, is hands down a much more fun and engaging road car. 50 more hp on any road in the country simply isn't necessary or noticeable for the everyday driving and enjoyment that the T provides in engaging you in the overall driving experience. It is the closest I've come to returning to the engaging experience that my original 84 Carrera provided. Porsche got this one nearly perfect.

The PDK, while spectacular in how fast it shifts, just isn't as much fun for everyday driving. On the street in auto mode it goes through the gears to 6th and 7th gear so fast in normal driving that you're constantly clicking the paddles back to lower gears if you don't have the ability to put your foot into it due to traffic, and driving in manual mode shifting with paddles for everyday driving just doesn't seem to be what these cars are all about.

The S with PDK compared to the T with MT to me seemed to be more of a luxury sports car, quieter, more comfortable ride and not as engaging - great car if you drive in a lot of traffic but no more engaging than a BMW or any other comparable car after you put a few hours in it.

They are both great cars, but from having both in the last year to compare with the kind of driving I do, the T is by far the more overall enjoyable experience.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:19 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I went for the s drove both and speced them out for me difference was about 9k.
Pdk for me so it was a no brainer s makes more sense.

About 9k gives me:
More power and torque with warranty
PTV+
E diff
Larger brakes/ more pistons

I lose out on some trim pieces and sound deadening and gorilla glass

I think if it were the manual tranny on both cars the t makes good sense.

As far as mods, you would lose warranty as well as cpo or 3rd party extended warranty and with the expense of replacing the pdk etc, not sure I would even risk losing that for a bit more power.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a thread like this and I ended up with the T.

you may not be able to get an S allocation any more.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:03 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
What is the point of this thread? I have read many that are similar, which are usually started by the T folks for what it is worth.
hahaha,

The .1 v .2 threads have dried up (thank goodness) so I guess it makes sense for some .2 folks who want to get back in the game.

The choice to buy a particular variant is typically decided by one's financial resources, hopefully by personal experience via test drive(s), google searches and the biased opinions from those in the 991 forum on RL (if I bought a T/S, I'm gonna tell you to buy a T/S to validate my decision).

Carry on people!!!
Old 10-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

True, everyone has their own criteria and only they can decide. I don’t think anyone can change anyone’s mind.

i just spending time on the forum since its a long wait

every 911 is unique there is no one better or less than another. Just a car...just enjoy what you have
Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
What is the point of this thread? I have read many that are similar, which are usually started by the T folks for what it is worth.
People needs to stroke their egos and get public confirmation. Its kind of like emotional masturbation.

It's pretty interesting to see this happen here. You would think people who can afford these cars would be rather successful, confident people, who don't need to seek public confirmation and attention. But that doesn't always seem to be the case.

The T is a great car, I would get it if you have use for options like rear seat delete, clothes interior etc. The wonderful thing about porsche is they have a billion options and packaged into 20+ variations of the same car. So everyone can choose and pick what they like, and everyone can feel like a special little snowflake <3
Old 10-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Lol..emotional masturbation...

I like to play along, we all have been there at one point.

i really liked the 718 handling and rawness, cabin noise, the T definitely has more cabin noise. Also manual made more sense with T and PDK with S.

I spent weeks on Manual vs PDK, AWD vs RWD and finally ended up with T vs S

if you want To order with your choice of option hurry up allocations are running short, we should see 992 in spring on the road. Porsche is not going to wait for fall of next year
Old 10-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Hope they don’t start doing First Editions like other brands
Old 10-14-2018, 12:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

The only real shame of the T is the smaller turbos and no "official": upgrade path...

You can keep the PCCB brakes, but a version of the T that was available from Porsche with the powerkit (gts) turbos, keeping the shorter gearing, in manual with full buckets (plus aftermarket DSC sport PASM controller + Cobb tune) would be a weapon.

Of course it would likely become another unobtanium halo car if they did offer it.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:06 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Wait to spec a new 992 or buy a used 991.2 close to your specs.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:32 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ronht
I had a 2017 Carrera S - PDK RWS and traded it for a 2019 Carrera T - MT RWS

The manual T, at least in my opinion, is hands down a much more fun and engaging road car. 50 more hp on any road in the country simply isn't necessary or noticeable for the everyday driving and enjoyment that the T provides in engaging you in the overall driving experience. It is the closest I've come to returning to the engaging experience that my original 84 Carrera provided. Porsche got this one nearly perfect.

The PDK, while spectacular in how fast it shifts, just isn't as much fun for everyday driving. On the street in auto mode it goes through the gears to 6th and 7th gear so fast in normal driving that you're constantly clicking the paddles back to lower gears if you don't have the ability to put your foot into it due to traffic, and driving in manual mode shifting with paddles for everyday driving just doesn't seem to be what these cars are all about.

The S with PDK compared to the T with MT to me seemed to be more of a luxury sports car, quieter, more comfortable ride and not as engaging - great car if you drive in a lot of traffic but no more engaging than a BMW or any other comparable car after you put a few hours in it.

They are both great cars, but from having both in the last year to compare with the kind of driving I do, the T is by far the more overall enjoyable experience.
I disagree. The only time I find the PDK boring is when I want it to be. Otherwise, it is in sport mode with high revs and stupid-fast shifts. Hardly quiet. The metamorphosis that Porsches make between driving modes is astounding. Maybe you found yourself always driving your S in normal mode??

I also feel that comparing any Porsche to a BMW is simply parroting the internet. I don't know how anybody with a pulse who has actually driven a BMW can say that - and yes we have a BMW too so this is first hand. Everytime we get a maintenance loaner of a 3-4 series I'm astounded that they sell these things for $50K.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I disagree. The only time I find the PDK boring is when I want it to be. Otherwise, it is in sport mode with high revs and stupid-fast shifts. Hardly quiet. The metamorphosis that Porsches make between driving modes is astounding. Maybe you found yourself always driving your S in normal mode??

I also feel that comparing any Porsche to a BMW is simply parroting the internet. I don't know how anybody with a pulse who has actually driven a BMW can say that - and yes we have a BMW too so this is first hand. Everytime we get a maintenance loaner of a 3-4 series I'm astounded that they sell these things for $50K.
^ First time I drove an E60, I worried my love affair with BMW was coming to an end. Every version of the E60 that I tested after that was a disappointment in one way or another—and all of them felt cheap and "unspecial" compared to the E39s. First time I drove an F30 6MT—and on my favorite roads, roads where almost anything is fun to drive—I knew the 3 Series, and BMW, was dead to me. There might be a few bright spots left, but gone are the days when the every model line had something interesting in it, and when every BMW that passed by was something special—even an 528e. Now they're just cars (and trucks), and less interesting than some recent offerings from Japan, Korea, and America.

BMW sales, on the other hand, are the envy of many. The resulting problem should be keeping Porsche product planners up at night...

As for this thread, I'd take a Carrera S in a spec appealing to me (e.g. 7MT with SPASM) over a Carrera T in one that isn't (e.g. PDK + moonroof). And vice versa. Configured the same way, more or less? Then it would be down to price and my slight preference for the character of the 370hp engine. If ordering new, I'd probably rather have PCCB on a T than a more powerful S without PCCB. Your mileage may vary...which is why it's great that these choices exist.

Quick Reply: Carrera T vs Carrera S