Carrera T vs Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Well said! If youre tracking why not a used S or GTS for less dough than T? To each his own but I sure don't get it.
If you're tracking and willing to gut your car, that is. That's a sacrifice not everyone is willing to make.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:55 PM
991.two
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
And 1% of drivers can feel the weight reduction of a T. Most won't even spec LWBs. It drives everyone crazy because people are playing it up like its some return to small lightweight drivers cars, when its nothing of the sort.
Weight played a little part in my thoughts about a T. If ordered with the LWB w/ rear seat delete that will loose 45 lbs. Add the PCCB and that will loose 40 lbs. So with 85 lbs off the 3142 lbs of the manual T it ends up @ 3057 lbs. the 911R weights in at 3020 lbs and the GT3 is 3116 lbs. The 2018 Turbo weights in @ 3517 lbs. The GT2 RS is 3241 lbs. and the GT3 RS @ 3153 lbs. So the T starts off fairly light and can still loose more. All these weights are for the MT cars.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Beside lighter unstrung weight and better braking the PCCB’s have been reported by drives of all different versions of the 911 that have them, to noticeably improve handling. The lighter unstrung weight allows the suspension to react quicker according to several different people on this site. I am strongly considering adding carbon revolution wheels as well.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

I once asked Walter Röhrl if he could feel handling differences with PCCB (mainly because I could not), this in the bad old days of the 996 when PCCB dropped 44 pounds in unsprung weight (which it doesn't in a lot of applications when the standard brakes are small to begin with and PCCBs are noticeably bigger). His take: No.My take, fwiw, all these years later: I can't either. Maybe PCCB + forged wheels that drop more weight still, when driven back to back with big reds + cast factory wheels. Would like to try that. Meantime, I wonder if some of the high praise to handling improvement with PCCB should be filed under Handling Improvements Perceived with Lightweight Headlights and no Front Axle Lift?

PCCB is good for response/initial bite if you like their feeling (I do), and great when it comes to resisting fade (this was noticeable in 996 days, particularly)—aaaaand great when it comes to brake dust (calculate hours saved per year spent cleaning wheels, now add value of hours of viewing enjoyment with clean wheels). Also great as a wear item on the street. As a handling improvement? No question they make life easier on other components, and no question they are technically superior. But, can I feel their benefit to handling? Nope. Not so far, anyway...and I have driven a loooooooot of cars, sometimes with pretty good comparisons between iron and ceramic rotors on similar cars. I have yet to be hit with the feeling that the PCCB were making the difference between great and greater handling. YMMV/just my take...
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (01-22-2023)
Old 10-17-2018, 01:34 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
If you're tracking and willing to gut your car, that is. That's a sacrifice not everyone is willing to make.
Think you missed the point. Guy was talking about taking things out of a T.....I suggested buying a used S or GTS and you wouldnt have to do anything to get a faster car
Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Think you missed the point. Guy was talking about taking things out of a T.....I suggested buying a used S or GTS and you wouldnt have to do anything to get a faster car
For track - torque wins (or specifically torque converted into rear wheel force at the contact patches maximised by gearing) - hence you'd go with the GTS with PDK, PTV plus, SC, PASM-S and RAS every time (in the Carrera line up and next up the S) - if you feel you're short of horses, add Cobb tune and gain100RWHP (those big turbos just keep on givin').

Brakes, stick with the steelies and change out pads to an endurance pad e.g. RSL29 (and race fluid obviously). Tires in the first instance MPSC2 N1.

The "base" and T are great street cars and will be fun track toys for HPDE but for anything more serious they are outgunned by a fair margin (and an even greater margin without RAS).

In the land of Porsche you pay for incremental performance and the increments add up - particularly round a track.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-17-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:01 PM
caciquemd
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I went for the HUGE discount on a CPO C2S!

I was on the fence on a T, but could not help myself from the discount that I was able to negotiate on a MT 2017 C2S with RAS, PDCC and several other options with only 825 miles!!!!

I think there is no wrong or right with the decision on which car to get. It really depends on personal choice, wants, perceived needs, opportunity, etc.

The only option that I wanted/miss was the ventilated seat!!!

Old 10-17-2018, 11:54 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
For track - torque wins (or specifically torque converted into rear wheel force at the contact patches maximised by gearing)
That's another way of describing horsepower. In the end power always wins, more so than torque.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:58 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
That's another way of describing horsepower. In the end power always wins, more so than torque.
(1) you are presented with two identical engines with 1 exception - one has mildly skimmed heads. (a) The non-skimmed engine has a compression ratio of 12.5:1 and (b) the skimmed engine has a compression ratio of 13:1 - both engines rev to 8000RPM.

(Q) which engine will deliver the best performance and why?

(2) you are presented with two identical cars with PDK gear boxes both capable of 250kmh - there is one exception car (a) has slightly shorter gearing than car (b)

(Q) which car will get to 100kmh in the shortest time and why is that the case?

Last edited by groundhog; 10-19-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:39 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by caciquemd
I went for the HUGE discount on a CPO C2S!

I was on the fence on a T, but could not help myself from the discount that I was able to negotiate on a MT 2017 C2S with RAS, PDCC and several other options with only 825 miles!!!!

I think there is no wrong or right with the decision on which car to get. It really depends on personal choice, wants, perceived needs, opportunity, etc.

The only option that I wanted/miss was the ventilated seat!!!

congrats, pics?
Old 10-18-2018, 03:31 PM
gartzspeed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
OK, after reading this hilarious thread (in a good way, also entertaining and educational in spots) I think the choice is clear - we all need at least two Porsches in the garage at any given time. Having just one is too confusing and stressful.
I can get behind this, but do I still count if neither is a 911?
My ideal duo would be the 987.2 Boxster Spyder and a Pana GTS.

Nothing else to contribute, but I really like this idea. Can the Pana pull a 31' trailer?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:33 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by gartzspeed
Can the Pana pull a 31' trailer?
No, Pana has dismal tow rating and low tongue weight capacity. Also, GVWR is around 52-5800lb pending on model so with 3-4 passengers and loaded trunk, no capacity left for tongue weight and trailer. Why I have a Cayenne instead of a Pana
Old 10-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 83 Posts

Truly if making track car is sole intent I might argue getting used 991.2 base might be smartest thing and then gut it slap GT3 suspension bits under the car and turn up the boost. But again I think some really miss beauty of the T. If optioned properly it is much lighter than any other model and comes with some pretty cool enthusiast options you cant get on other 991.2 models in same way. Would love to see a Manual S, With LSD, RWS, PCCB, can you get sport buckets in an S? , weight and cost verses a T weight and cost with Manual, RWS, PCCB, Sport buckets and rear seat delete. I was able to easily order my T direct from factory to my specs no problem. Delivery in Dec. Id argue the weight difference is noticeable when T is optioned properly ....Then slap a tune on the T and quickly you are entering territory occupied by GT cars. Throw a couple GT3 suspension bits under car with some Ohlin coilovers and well things are going to get a bit funny for GT cars that occupy same track as a T. ....Hmmmm a GT car with torque. Might I dare say some GT cars might find themselves behind what appears to be mild mannered lightweight poser "marketing exercise" T on track.

And while one can always "de-content" a car, trust me I have lots of experience doing that! Its a drag pulling stuff out of a newer car and never is as cool as a factory light weight model. As silly as it seems to some, GT3 RS lightweight glass, less insulation, no rear seats, door pulls, sport buckets, standard LSD, shorter ratio gears all in affordable package from factory is just plain cool. With a few things like light weight battery, lighter muffler, super lightweight wheels the T will dip under 3000 lbs. ...Yes all achievable with S or base car but not with slick lightweight factory interior options. Also all manually adjusted things in the T are just fabulous - I almost crapped myself with excitement when learned the Ts steering wheel is all manually adjusted - no electric motors! Seats move around manually too. ...Hell they could have got some mileage out of me by drilling a couple holes in windshield wiper arms. But then I'm a little eccentric about these things.

Funny thing is I couldn't find a T spec'd like mine anywhere on lots. Trying to find a Lava car with my options impossible. Dealers had so many useless options on their cars prices were inflated or Ts were also optioned with heavy PDK, sunroofs or full leather interiors with 18 way adjustable seats! Boo! I suspect with little time my little bare bones Orange T might be desirable. Perhaps even more than an S

One thing I will say I'm a big fan of the entire 991.2 model range . There is definitely something for everyone as long as you are willing to spend the dough.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

More people like "useless" options than those that don't and I would rather be comfortable in my leather 18 way seats and those that I cannot even adjust. Yeah!

Quick Reply: Carrera T vs Carrera S