Carrera T vs Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by S S
Great responses so far, but yours is the only one I have felt the need to respond to. Check your data. In order to get as close to a COMPARABLE build it's USD 142K and change... A great argument could be made, as it always is for a GTS car, that it is a great cost benefit ratio for what you gain. In this case, "only" 19ish K more (4ish K more than a S...) for 450 HP and 405 ft-lb and brakes and a badge and... But you still can't get all the bespoke goodies a T has from the factory. And never will... Maybe you value the GTS bits more, and maybe you don't.

Carrera GTS Build for USD 142,340

I value your opinion, and hope you spec a car just the way you want it and go grab it. I did and am doing so. The T above is mine and should be in my hot little hands in a few weeks. But I'm trying to make sure we keep it real and everyone is on the same, level playing field here, Bro. Thanks...

Your initial post and this one comes across as very condescending and as desperately trying to justify your purchase. And you must have not searched very hard, because this very topic has been debated many times. If you didn’t mean it to come off that way, I apologize, but it definitely does with the “daring” language and the popcorn.

Youve laid out one comparison, but you’ve fattened that S up quite a bit with some extras that don’t need to be there like deviated stitching and alcantara inserts, and the RWS which I do not believe you added to the T build. Take those out and the difference is more like $10k. I’ve done the builds too, in several ways, and that is a more realistic delta.

Youve also loaded that T up quite high. Which, IMO, is not really the mission of the T.

Here is the thing; there is no right or wrong answer. No one needs any of these cars. Now that the base car has turbos, it’s no longer the weak sibling. It’s a wonderful car, as is the T, as is the S, as is the GTS. Everyine’s priorities are different. I would not have my 911 with the rubber dash. Others see that as needless $ spent. Some want all the performance of the S or GTS, and are ok with manual sliding 4 ways. Others can’t stand the thought of a $120k plus car with manual seats.

There is is no wrong answer. It’s your money and your priorities. Crapping on someone else spending $ You didn’t is uncalled for and not a good look. You might want to rethink that.

Your T looks awesome. I’d love to have a super sport spec with carbons and buckets. Ultimate essential 911 performance. I hope you enjoy it in good health. It should be super fun. No need to justif your purchase.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

If the T came in a drop top I would have given it some serious thought but I have had so many verts over the years it was time for another Targa but with a power top this time. In some ways I wish there were not so many choices.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
^ First time I drove an E60, I worried my love affair with BMW was coming to an end. Every version of the E60 that I tested after that was a disappointment in one way or another—and all of them felt cheap and "unspecial" compared to the E39s. First time I drove an F30 6MT—and on my favorite roads, roads where almost anything is fun to drive—I knew the 3 Series, and BMW, was dead to me. There might be a few bright spots left, but gone are the days when the every model line had something interesting in it, and when every BMW that passed by was something special—even an 528e. Now they're just cars (and trucks), and less interesting than some recent offerings from Japan, Korea, and America.

BMW sales, on the other hand, are the envy of many. The resulting problem should be keeping Porsche product planners up at night...

As for this thread, I'd take a Carrera S in a spec appealing to me (e.g. 7MT with SPASM) over a Carrera T in one that isn't (e.g. PDK + moonroof). And vice versa. Configured the same way, more or less? Then it would be down to price and my slight preference for the character of the 370hp engine. If ordering new, I'd probably rather have PCCB on a T than a more powerful S without PCCB. Your mileage may vary...which is why it's great that these choices exist.

The F Chassis BMW’s were / are Marshmallows. I owned an F10 535 with the Dynamic Handling Package. It was a mess. Drove many versions of the F30 3 series....all a mess and nasty cheap inside. F80 M3 and M4 something of a redemption but the farting engine and the hideously stiff ride ultimately lead me to the 911.

I have read that the G chassis cars are a turnaround. Have not driven a fiver but looking forward to checking it out as well as the X5 and new 3 series.

My Lexus GS350 drove much better than my 5 series, but the powertrain was somewhat lethargic. But the chassis and steering were WAY better. The newer Mercs are better too. Waiting to see BMW’s response.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If the T came in a drop top I would have given it some serious thought but I have had so many verts over the years it was time for another Targa but with a power top this time. In some ways I wish there were not so many choices.
Yeah, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the T.

I hear you on the droptop. I kind of begrudgingly got mine as a Cab. Not sure how I can go back to a coupe. Might have to have one of each!
Old 10-14-2018, 02:53 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I would likely get a base and not a T, but if I had to choose between the S and the T I'd likely go for the T. I really don't see the point of the S for 991.2. If I'm using it as DD/track combo I'd likely just step up to the GTS or add bits to the base (fluid/pads/tires). I know people will disagree with me but that was my take away when looking at buying a brand new one.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I love how the T just drives everyone crazy. It’s as though everyone just busts out their spreadsheets and SCCA licenses and suddenly they become finance and performance experts when the T is the topic.

1% of drivers can actually handle more horsepower than the T has. FWIW, i agree with the OP.
The following users liked this post:
Jeahbladejeah (01-08-2020)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:28 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Your initial post and this one comes across as very condescending and as desperately trying to justify your purchase. And you must have not searched very hard, because this very topic has been debated many times. If you didn’t mean it to come off that way, I apologize, but it definitely does with the “daring” language and the popcorn.

Youve laid out one comparison, but you’ve fattened that S up quite a bit with some extras that don’t need to be there like deviated stitching and alcantara inserts, and the RWS which I do not believe you added to the T build. Take those out and the difference is more like $10k. I’ve done the builds too, in several ways, and that is a more realistic delta.

Youve also loaded that T up quite high. Which, IMO, is not really the mission of the T.

Here is the thing; there is no right or wrong answer. No one needs any of these cars. Now that the base car has turbos, it’s no longer the weak sibling. It’s a wonderful car, as is the T, as is the S, as is the GTS. Everyine’s priorities are different. I would not have my 911 with the rubber dash. Others see that as needless $ spent. Some want all the performance of the S or GTS, and are ok with manual sliding 4 ways. Others can’t stand the thought of a $120k plus car with manual seats.
There is is no wrong answer. It’s your money and your priorities. Crapping on someone else spending $ You didn’t is uncalled for and not a good look. You might want to rethink that.
Your T looks awesome. I’d love to have a super sport spec with carbons and buckets. Ultimate essential 911 performance. I hope you enjoy it in good health. It should be super fun. No need to justif your purchase.
The F Chassis BMW’s were / are Marshmallows... It was a mess. Drove many versions of the F30 3 series....all a mess and nasty cheap inside. F80 M3 and M4 something of a redemption but the farting engine and the hideously stiff ride ultimately lead me to the 911...
Yeah, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the T.
I hear you on the droptop. I kind of begrudgingly got mine as a Cab. Not sure how I can go back to a coupe. Might have to have one of each!
Oh, did I hurt your feelings? I am sorry my sarcasm came across as condescending... but you should probably buckle up now. We could also probably meet somewhere between Houston and Austin and get it all sorted, partner... The interesting thing to me is, you label me condescending (which I'll admit is better than some of the other titles tossed around by the internet warriors on here...) and then literally within the next few minutes, post up the things above in the very same thread, let alone some of your others. I'd like for you and the rest of the entitled to get over yourselves. It won't happen, of course, but I'll state it. Some idiot on here actually called someone a fascist the other day... What the hell is wrong with you people? It's a car and the internet and they only matter as much as we want them to.

This thread was an experiment. The only people who have posted negatively or questioned it are owners of S, GTS, or Targa builds. Most folks didn't even read it before they provided their opinions, thinking this was somehow a build decision thread. You halfway read it, and I was hopeful, until you decided to get preachy. It's Rear Axle Steering, not RWS, that may be why you missed it in my build. It's a comparable build, that is why the deviated stitching and alcantara and the like. If you think that only optioning black headlight rings, PCCB, RAS, Full Buckets, the T Interior, a clock with a half-azzed track app, and a cargo net is loading up the T, then I can't help ya, my man. Was that condescending enough for you?

As I said in one of my subsequent posts, which you either didn't read, or you did and found it condescending or hurtful and couldn't handle it, I expressly stated the opposite of what you tried to foist on me above with regard to "crapping" on someone else and their decisions and spending. Again, based on your posts, I find it really ironic. The entire purpose of this thread was to have people share their views, using the often mistaken monetary comparisons of 102.1K vs 105.1K between the two builds as a vehicle for that. This wasn't a justification. It was a mirror to throw back out some of the things posted by people here on RL regarding these cars. Either you can see that, or you can't. Or you don't want to...

For most everyone else, thanks very much (truly) for your thoughts and opinions. I value them and appreciate you taking the time to read and contribute.

S
Old 10-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Settle down Beavis.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:52 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL

What is up with the t owners? Did they have a special promotion for people who r still in high school? We r “taking it outside” on the internet now LOL

Props to the Porsche marketing team for getting people so excited about a end of the line trim put together from the spare parts bin. That’s right I said it. Since apparently showing proper respect to the t owners weren’t enough and they had to feel extra special.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

We need a Carrera T apologists club.

Carrera T vs the world.
The following users liked this post:
Jeahbladejeah (01-08-2020)
Old 10-14-2018, 04:41 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by S S
Oh, did I hurt your feelings? I am sorry my sarcasm came across as condescending... but you should probably buckle up now. We could also probably meet somewhere between Houston and Austin and get it all sorted, partner... The interesting thing to me is, you label me condescending (which I'll admit is better than some of the other titles tossed around by the internet warriors on here...) and then literally within the next few minutes, post up the things above in the very same thread, let alone some of your others. I'd like for you and the rest of the entitled to get over yourselves. It won't happen, of course, but I'll state it. Some idiot on here actually called someone a fascist the other day... What the hell is wrong with you people? It's a car and the internet and they only matter as much as we want them to.

This thread was an experiment. The only people who have posted negatively or questioned it are owners of S, GTS, or Targa builds. Most folks didn't even read it before they provided their opinions, thinking this was somehow a build decision thread. You halfway read it, and I was hopeful, until you decided to get preachy. It's Rear Axle Steering, not RWS, that may be why you missed it in my build. It's a comparable build, that is why the deviated stitching and alcantara and the like. If you think that only optioning black headlight rings, PCCB, RAS, Full Buckets, the T Interior, a clock with a half-azzed track app, and a cargo net is loading up the T, then I can't help ya, my man. Was that condescending enough for you?

As I said in one of my subsequent posts, which you either didn't read, or you did and found it condescending or hurtful and couldn't handle it, I expressly stated the opposite of what you tried to foist on me above with regard to "crapping" on someone else and their decisions and spending. Again, based on your posts, I find it really ironic. The entire purpose of this thread was to have people share their views, using the often mistaken monetary comparisons of 102.1K vs 105.1K between the two builds as a vehicle for that. This wasn't a justification. It was a mirror to throw back out some of the things posted by people here on RL regarding these cars. Either you can see that, or you can't. Or you don't want to...

For most everyone else, thanks very much (truly) for your thoughts and opinions. I value them and appreciate you taking the time to read and contribute.

S
Are you calling someone out on the street over a car forum? Are you 12 years old? So who got their feelings hurt, sure it wasn't you? You're running social experiments on a car forum? Is this a school project?
This T vs the world stuff is childish and unnecessary on the forum.
No one I've seen is bashing the car until some T owners keep trying to convince everyone they have purchased a rare black diamond.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
We need a Carrera T apologists club.

Carrera T vs the world.
Haha. This made me chuckle. It's the new 914, 912, .2, etc.

Lighten up, folks. There ain't a one of us on here who isn't driving a plain wonderful car.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, after reading this hilarious thread (in a good way, also entertaining and educational in spots) I think the choice is clear - we all need at least two Porsches in the garage at any given time. Having just one is too confusing and stressful.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porscheholic:
Drtsk (09-07-2019), Jeahbladejeah (01-08-2020)
Old 10-14-2018, 05:08 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Haha. This made me chuckle. It's the new 914, 912, .2, etc.
Lighten up, folks. There ain't a one of us on here who isn't driving a plain wonderful car.
Originally Posted by Porscheholic
OK, after reading this hilarious thread (in a good way, also entertaining and educational in spots) I think the choice is clear - we all need at least two Porsches in the garage at any given time. Having just one is too confusing and stressful.
Thank you, Gentlemen. You truly, truly get it.

S
Old 10-14-2018, 05:08 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

I think the T is awesome. If I didnt want the wide body I would of got one (I got a manual gts instead). I wish I could get the t seats in my gts....

Quick Reply: Carrera T vs Carrera S