Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

How to install new PORSCHE rear bumper badging without template?

Notices
Sponsored by:

How to install new PORSCHE rear bumper badging without template?

Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 PM
edkwon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default How to install new PORSCHE rear bumper badging without template?

Hi, I'm getting my 2015 car cleaned, ceramic coated and the rear debadged. I don't care for the busy chrome badging in the rear:

And I purchased gloss black PORSCHE rear bumper badging from SunCoast, but it is not spaced appropriately on the backing paper. Any suggestions on how to apply it so its lined up pretty accurately without a factory template?

I am going for this look (minus the 911 badge)

Any good DIY suggestions are helpful.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:39 PM
natman316
User

going through this myself, would be interested in solutions. apparently there is a paper template available on eBay. I ordered it, will revert back with results
Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 PM
okbarnett
Super User

measure, measure, measure
Old 10-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Pointbye
User

Just pay to have it done right.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 PM
4pipes
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^this. Find a Porsche certified body shop with a template. It’s the only accurate method.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:05 PM
pfbz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porsche makes an (expensive) fixture for fitting the badges. Hadn't heard about (nor can I find) an ebay template, but that sounds like a good idea as well.

And while a template would be nice, if you haven't removed the previous chrome badging yet, you could use this method:

Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 PM
wareaglescott
User

Make your own template before you take the original one off. Would be very easy.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 PM
kuma1416
User

The human eye is extremely sensitive to even minor asymmetries in spacing and leveling. If you're set on replacing the chrome lettering, I would bite the bullet and pay to have the dealer do it. Otherwise it will gall you every time you look at it in the future.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Bob Z.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kuma1416 View Post
The human eye is extremely sensitive to even minor asymmetries in spacing and leveling. If you're set on replacing the chrome lettering, I would bite the bullet and pay to have the dealer do it. Otherwise it will gall you every time you look at it in the future.
I agree since there have been posts where people have tried do it on their own and they were not right, which is noticeable. Others did a great job but it took them a long time. The dealer may only charge an hour labor, a cheap price to pay to get it done right, and since they have the templates it is one job that can probably not screw up.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:23 PM
oolor13
User

If you’re not going to include the model description below the Porsche badge, you should definitely consider having a shop with a template do it right. When the Porsche lettering badge is on its own, it will be lower than when it’s with the model description.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 PM
///M3THOD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Theres 2 different heights for the PORSCHE lettering depending on whether you have your model also included in the badging.

The PORSCHE without the model variation sits lower on the bumper. I would check with your dealer otherwise it will look like you just removed the lower model badging and left the PORSCHE lettering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: