Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vektor Headers on .2 GTS, install and quick review

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:29 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

I thought my post was clear... The Vektors sit 1/2 inch lower than the rear cross member which means it WILL hit first. I said it was lower from day 1 and was told by Vektor that I am making things up. You DO lose clearance and I was chastised like a child that I wasn't telling the truth. No one attacks Vektor for flat out lying about losing clearance do they?

So, now it has been proven and I didnt make it up. As far as my post on losing "inches of clearance", I again stated and will continue to support the fact that the Vektor headers sit 3 INCHES lower than the factory headers do.
If someone wants to go and take a picture of a tape measure under the factory headers go right ahead and prove me wrong.

With regards to the clearance not being an issue.. What about guys who lower their suspension? So many forum members on here talking about lowering the car, for them it now becomes a real issue. What about 21" wheels with lower sidewalls? Perhaps they might scrape or even guys who track with 19" wheels.

In the end it is a fact and something that needs to be considered. Especially guys who plan on modifying ride height from any number of ways...
Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I thought my post was clear... The Vektors sit 1/2 inch lower than the rear cross member which means it WILL hit first. I said it was lower from day 1 and was told by Vektor that I am making things up. You DO lose clearance and I was chastised like a child that I wasn't telling the truth. No one attacks Vektor for flat out lying about losing clearance do they?

So, now it has been proven and I didnt make it up. As far as my post on losing "inches of clearance", I again stated and will continue to support the fact that the Vektor headers sit 3 INCHES lower than the factory headers do.
If someone wants to go and take a picture of a tape measure under the factory headers go right ahead and prove me wrong.

With regards to the clearance not being an issue.. What about guys who lower their suspension? So many forum members on here talking about lowering the car, for them it now becomes a real issue. What about 21" wheels with lower sidewalls? Perhaps they might scrape or even guys who track with 19" wheels.

In the end it is a fact and something that needs to be considered. Especially guys who plan on modifying ride height from any number of ways...
Well in that case maybe some can retro a rear axle lift....
Old 10-10-2018, 08:41 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

On a side note.. did Porsche change the actuator's on the 2018 models?

They look different on the 2017 to 2018, although they both appear to vacuum actuated
Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Well in that case maybe some can retro a rear axle lift....
looool sign me up, i think instead of the sport cats that will be my next mod...

@PTS-BRG , i think those are fair concerns. I think there are definitely some misunderstanding around your wording of "lower the clearance by a few inches" vs "a few inches taller than stock headers", which makes a big difference. I would not be comfortable if the headers actually lowered my rear clearance by a few inches. Realistically, the GTS already has SPASM, none of the off the shelf springs get the car much lower than what it already is. We can play around with a lot of "what if"s, but i can't think of any realistic ones that would impact 90% of the target audience.

At the same time, I think it would fair for Vektor to indicate the headers does lower the "behind the wheel road clearance" by 10mms or so.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:53 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
looool sign me up, i think instead of the sport cats that will be my next mod...

@PTS-BRG , i think those are fair concerns. I think there are definitely some misunderstanding around your wording of "lower the clearance by a few inches" vs "a few inches taller than stock headers", which makes a big difference. I would not be comfortable if the headers actually lowered my rear clearance by a few inches. Realistically, the GTS already has SPASM, none of the off the shelf springs get the car much lower than what it already is. We can play around with a lot of "what if"s, but i can't think of any realistic ones that would impact 90% of the target audience.

At the same time, I think it would fair for Vektor to indicate the headers does lower the "behind the wheel road clearance" by 10mms or so.
I do agree that PTS-BRG has made some fair points and vektor should more accurately address potential clearance concerns.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:01 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

You know what.. its nice to at least see a couple of guys sticking their necks out to at least support some of what I said. So many PM's, but I guess I can understand not wanting to get flamed, but thank you.

For my part, I will agree that my wording of the car losing inches of clearance was somewhat misleading, but not intentionally. The Vektors are 3 inches lower than the factory headers, but with the crossmember in the way much of that extra distance wont be of much concern because the crossmember would take the hit before the 2 1/2 inches of drop from the Vektor headers would. However, the Vektors STILL sit 1/2 inch lower than the crossmember does which now becomes the lowest part of the rear of the car.

I would like to add that neither the Kline or the Fabspeed headers sit lower than the rear crossmember. If lowering the car is a possibility for you then keep that in mind.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You know what.. its nice to at least see a couple of guys sticking their necks out to at least support some of what I said. So many PM's, but I guess I can understand not wanting to get flamed, but thank you.

For my part, I will agree that my wording of the car losing inches of clearance was somewhat misleading, but not intentionally. The Vektors are 3 inches lower than the factory headers, but with the crossmember in the way much of that extra distance wont be of much concern because the crossmember would take the hit before the 2 1/2 inches of drop from the Vektor headers would. However, the Vektors STILL sit 1/2 inch lower than the crossmember does which now becomes the lowest part of the rear of the car.

I would like to add that neither the Kline or the Fabspeed headers sit lower than the rear crossmember. If lowering the car is a possibility for you then keep that in mind.
I think that’s a super fair statement. And I will keep people posted if I ever scrape over anything lol

now have anyone installed just the headers from another brand? Would love to compare sound impressions. I might also look for a dyno shop before I do my sport cats. Any recs for the sf Bay Area?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 369 Posts

There are always design compromises. Vektor chose to compromise some clearance for better flow performance. Same deal with people choosing PASM or any aftermarket suspension which lowers a car preferring improved handling performance over clearance. In the tuner community, a 2" drop is common. The picture from MotoIQ shows everything and that article came out in July and Vektor's own post directs everyone to review that article.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:15 AM
Marc D Gonsalves
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone confirm Kline headers don’t hang below the cross beam? Ideally it would be nice to see a photo like the ones the OP posted. That was a huge help.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:47 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

spdracerut: Are we going to go through this again? Are you jumping on the "my eyes can see" bandwagon? If your eyes can see that the Vektors hang 10mm from ANY photo then you need to get a job at the circus.
It is a measurement that can only be made on an actual car with a ruler or tape measure. IMPOSSIBLE to know or see from photos as different angles show the part higher or lower based on how it is photographed.
To suggest that we should have been able to see a 10mm drop from the pictures in the MotoIQ article is just absurd.

"a 2" drop is common in the tuner community".
Good to know as I have never dropped/lowered a car. Certainly something to consider especially if you plan on lowering the car. Then that 1/2" becomes a real concern.

"There are always design compromises. Vektor chose to compromise some clearance for better flow performance"
Interesting comment considering Vektor not only EVER made those claims, but they went so far as to state on record that their headers DO NOT sit any lower than factory or compromise on clearance.

If this was a court room and Vektor was a witness, their credibility would now be compromised based on inconsistencies in their testimony. If you catch someone in a lie then it is safe to assume that there are other statements they have made that are also lies.

If Vektors position is that they chose to have the header hang 1/2 inch below the crossmember because it allowed for even pipe lengths, better flow characteristics, better performance, or for any other reason, then they should have come out and said that. To claim they are the best flowing and do not hang any lower than stock is an outright lie and neither claim can be or has been supported.

I will also say that even if the Vektors produce 20hp (something I do not believe) and the Klines produce 15hp (also something I have no proof of), I would personally choose the trade off of losing 5hp and buying the Klines rather than have the car have a 1/2 inch pipe hanging lower than the rest of the car. That's my position. Of course if it was 20hp vs 5hp then my position might change..
Old 10-11-2018, 07:56 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Here are 2 pics. One is of the Kline and the other Fabspeed. Impossible to know for certain if they hang below the crossmember from pics alone, but based on what it looks like and from reports I have received, neither the Kline or Fabspeed appear to hang below the crossmember. Measurements on actual cars need to be made to be certain.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:51 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

PTS, you're a madman... and I mean that in the nicest way. This thread got me going over my old development notes. I know early on we had a revision just to address clearance, and you've got me thinking I'd made a mistake? My notes are pretty clear in regards to the adjustments we made for clearance, but I went out to the R&D room with a laser level just to verify what I thought I already knew.

So we set the laser level to two positions. Bottom of the rear sub-frame, to see how much lower the header hangs, and then off the bottom of the header to see if it is in fact the lowest point (or at least the lowest point that really matters.. who cares about brake vents, right?).

So here is the laser level on the bottom edge of the subframe support. Low and behold the header is lower. I did not try to measure as the surfaces are too irregular to get a decent scientific result with the time I had available this morning, but I can follow up if there's interest. I would estimate it to be a hair over a 1/4"

Old 10-11-2018, 08:54 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Then I lowered it to just kiss the bottom of the Vektor Header to see if anything else important is lower. You can see something in front, but not well, so I followed up with a couple more pics.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Here is the close up, and I think what you also see here is the reason for the front lift option...

Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

If anyone wants anymore info, please don't hesitate to ask.... and sorry for the multiple posts pics kept kicking me out of the 'reply' box for some reason this morning.

Quick Reply: Vektor Headers on .2 GTS, install and quick review