Sponsored by:

Targa GTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Targa GTS questions

OK, since I'm going to win one of the PCA raffle cars this fall, I've got a couple of questions about options.

First, WOW!! $11K for PTS? Guess I'll stuck with Night Blue.

OK, Front Axle Lift. I never had any issues with my BS... is the 1.5" really worth the extra cost, weight and, of course, maintenance down the road?
PDCC - On the GTS 4 vehicles, what does it add?
Sport Chrono - didn't see it on the option list. I'm getting a MT anyway when I win ( ), so does SC really matter? Or is it already part of GTS package? Didn't see a Sport Plus button on the configurator image.
LED in Black - Premium Plus already has LED lights... is the black plastic really $2800 more?? That's crazy.
Rear Wheel Steering - a must? I probably won't track the car, or if I do, it'll be infrequent. But country and mountain roads will be routine!

(edit)Found the SC on the standard features list, so that one's answered!

Last edited by skiahh; 10-10-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I have a Targa GTS on order now and I did not get FAL or PDCC since I will not need the first and I will not track the car for the second. I am sure there are some will disagree with the latter but I drove one with it and without before I decided. The GTS comes with the Sport Chrono and Sport +, with a button on the console and steering wheel controller. I opted for the LED in Black since I love the way it looks and did not want to get the Black decal that makes it look similar but that is an option for you if you don't wan to pay the extra cost. My car is Miami Blue and I want as much of the car to be that color and Black. Finally. I did get RAS since I drove a car that had it and I loved the way it made the car turn so it was a must have for me, and if I track the car it will not be often, if at all.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:27 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

PDCC works but more complexity and something most drivers won’t miss or notice when not driving 10/10ths.

FAL is unnecessary unless you live in a place like San Fran. I have a C4 gts with no lift and only scrape on the sharpest of driveways. Good thing as well as the front lip is pretty cheap and what I consider a disposable part.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

You are trying to fit these options in the frame of “worth”. It ultimately comes down to what you want on the car, worth does not really have much to do with it.

FAL is one option that I wish for on a daily basis. I have looked into aftermarket solutions, which are not only costly for the parts but extensive on the labor to install.

RAS is not just a track feature. The effect at low speeds is to shorten the wheelbase 16” and that makes a big difference when driving around town. The turning radius on a RAS car is ridiculously small. At higher speeds the effect is to lengthen the wheelbase 31” and that makes the car very stable and smooth when driving at speed.

I have PDCC, Sport Chrono, PDLS in black, and more... worth it to me. I even think the $1,500 for illuminated carbon fiber sill plates was worth it.

Originally Posted by skiahh
OK, since I'm going to win one of the PCA raffle cars this fall, I've got a couple of questions about options.

First, WOW!! $11K for PTS? Guess I'll stuck with Night Blue.

OK, Front Axle Lift. I never had any issues with my BS... is the 1.5" really worth the extra cost, weight and, of course, maintenance down the road?
PDCC - On the GTS 4 vehicles, what does it add?
Sport Chrono - didn't see it on the option list. I'm getting a MT anyway when I win ( ), so does SC really matter? Or is it already part of GTS package? Didn't see a Sport Plus button on the configurator image.
LED in Black - Premium Plus already has LED lights... is the black plastic really $2800 more?? That's crazy.
Rear Wheel Steering - a must? I probably won't track the car, or if I do, it'll be infrequent. But country and mountain roads will be routine!

(edit)Found the SC on the standard features list, so that one's answered!
Old 10-10-2018, 02:35 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for reminding everyone about the raffle, that's a hit to your odds
When I win it, it will be Carmine red and definitely with RWS
Let me see, that's a $140k car + $25k cash, all income taxed at my top rate, plus the options cost. $50 per ticket.
Although it is more a thing for those bad at maths, it's still tempting.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:43 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FAL is a must IMO. Yes its a part thats rather cheap, but the pain you feel and the attention you draw (this is huge btw, people turning around just to see how you are scratching up your porsche) every time you scratch that bumper is something you don't want to deal with. Trust me, I have FAL but still ended up scratching it a few times because i figured the car might be high enough to go over certain drive ways. Now i do it every single time im about to pull up to something, regardless of perceived height. It also raises the car high enough to help you avoid most parking blocks

RAS is something i do debate about (didn't get it on mine). Would've been nice, but no real world scenario that im like "wow i wish i had RAS".

PDCC is something that i don't care about and have no regret for.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:03 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

i've got RAS and will never order another 911 without it. love it. porsche has nailed the calibration and it really is great at low speeds in the city and adds a lot more grip sensation on track.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Targa GTS is 10mm higher than a coupe GTS, right?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PKWU7UN9

anyway, I won’t win, but this is what I would do. Maybe switch to night blue over espresso with a blue roof and silver Carrera S wheels.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:02 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Headlight LED is a major expensive option that while a better light isnt necessary as Xenons are excellent. Cosmetically the black ring looks better on many combinations.
RAS is just a great option. You can parallel park more easily and making a U turn is insane. The cars turning radius is infinitely tighter when the rears turn along with the front.
PDCC is an option I didnt get and thats more of a coin toss. It makes the ride smoother over bumps and is performance oriented. I regret not getting it but, not a huge deal overall.
FAL is fantastic and everyone that has it says they use it daily. I have it and use it every time I drive the car. Mall ramps. Sharp inclines. Speed bumps, etc..
Scrape the front one time and hear that sound and you will wish you got it. Not the cost of replacing the lip, but the pain in knowing it could have been avoided with no service to dealer.

PTS prices were doubled from last year to try and lower demand. Too many people were opting for it and Porsche couldn't keep up. Double the price now. Looks like it worked

How about $3500 for deviated stitching? Changing the color of the THREAD is $3500. Thats another one I didnt opt for.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Scraping the front lip has been discussed and if it comes down to money skip the FAL and replace the lip yourself, which is cheap and you do not have to take it to the dealer for replacement - I could even do that and I basically do nothing myself.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:17 AM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
PDCC works but more complexity and something most drivers won’t miss or notice when not driving 10/10ths.

FAL is unnecessary unless you live in a place like San Fran. I have a C4 gts with no lift and only scrape on the sharpest of driveways. Good thing as well as the front lip is pretty cheap and what I consider a disposable part.
I live in Texas, NOT San Francisco by any stretch, but use my FAL nearly everytime I drive my car. *Your* driveway may not be an issue, but entries/exits, speed bumps, etc etc etc are all players. Not one regret ordering this option.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:19 AM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
Let me see, that's a $140k car + $25k cash, all income taxed at my top rate, plus the options cost. $50 per ticket.
Although it is more a thing for those bad at maths, it's still tempting.

Trust me....any tax acrobatics you may need to do are worth it.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:07 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JFerraro17

I live in Texas, NOT San Francisco by any stretch, but use my FAL nearly everytime I drive my car. *Your* driveway may not be an issue, but entries/exits, speed bumps, etc etc etc are all players. Not one regret ordering this option.
Fair enough, everybody has a different environment. 911 with spasm isn’t that low in my experience. I have yet to come across a speed bump here that I couldn’t navigate. No scrapes on even the biggest ones I’ve encountered here....can even take them head on without needing to angle.

I have scraped on super sharp curbs going into a old strip mall (you know the ones that have a big angle and then hit the flat pavement without a proper transition) but my sedan also scraped there so not sure a FAL would be any better. However looking at my front lip there is barely any perceptible damage....somebody did the math and I think one can replace their front lip something like 10x before the break even on cost of FAL. (Never mind the weight and added complexity and another part to possibly fail and be costly to fix).

It’s cool in how it functions and I still wouldn’t even think about getting the FAL option if I were to order another car (deviated stitching and sport design spoiler is another story....regret not getting those even though deviated stitch is stupid expensive). I can always replace the spoiler later but deviated stitching after the fact just doesn’t make sense.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Had PASM (which is what the Targa has) on my first 991.1S. Never scraped the front.

Had SPASM on my previous 991.1S and my current 991.2GTS. I scrape my driveway (but really no where else) unless I go at an angle. I either pull in or out at an angle and eventually I put in some temporary ramps so I never scrape now. So I don't have FAL and I wouldn't order it. I would spend that $$$ elsewhere (especially on a PASM car like the Targa which is 10mm higher).

I have had PDCC on all three of my 991's. I would order it again - great ride and it is very flat in the corners.

RWS is a game changer. I have it on my GTS and I LOVE it. Shorter turning radius at low speed, love the handling characteristics at speed. YMMV.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:29 PM
campbellbarker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

When I was speccing my 2017 GTS I went through a period of significant configurator-itis. So many great options, but how to decide? In the end, I ended up speccing very few options as I just couldn't decide between them all and wasn't prepared to pay for all of them! Manual, GTS interior package, no PDCC, no RAS, no FAL.

I'm very happy with the car. I'm sure it could have been even better, but basic is also great so no matter what you choose I'm sure you'll love it.

About FAL, I do occasionally scrape but I took the decision to treat the car as a daily so a few scratches are inevitable...

Good luck with your decision-making and I hope that you love it when you get it

Quick Reply: Targa GTS questions