Sponsored by:

CarPlay - Failure to Connect

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 03:23 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts
Default CarPlay - Failure to Connect

Most of the time CarPlay in my 991.2 works fairly nicely. However from time to time (seemingly randomly) it simply doesn't start up. Phone is connected but CarPlay never shows up. I know the connection is good because the phone beeps/charges. Sometimes rebooting the phone fixes it, sometimes restarting the car but occasionally I have to delete the car from phone and the phone from the PCM and reinitialize.

Does anyone else experience this? Do you have a better fix than deleting everything and starting fresh?

Thanks.
Tim
Old 06-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have faced the same problem with my 991.2 cabrio once. Tried to connect the phone several times with no luck. I forgot about it and next time I drove the car (couple of hours later....), the phone connected with no problem. Haven’t had that problem since then.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:34 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Same issue here. Works like a charm on my 2017 VW Tiguan. Spotty on the 911.
By the way, so much easier telling Apple Maps where you want to go versus entering the address into the PCM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

Try a different cord. The contacts are so tiny (like what, 16?) that a little speck of lint can block one while it still charges or appears to be connected. Might also blow out the female end of the phone to clean it out.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:05 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Norsk
Try a different cord. The contacts are so tiny (like what, 16?) that a little speck of lint can block one while it still charges or appears to be connected. Might also blow out the female end of the phone to clean it out.
I'll give that a try. I have a spare one from an Apple product, maybe that will be better.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:14 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

I have the same problem once every few weeks. I have to reboot the phone to get it to work. It's mildly annoying, but not enough so to bring the car into the dealership to have it addressed.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:43 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

The problem is not limited to the 911 - my 2017 Cayenne S has the sam problem. Unfortunately as mentioned earlier it is very intermittent and impossible to predict. What fails completely one time can work without a problem when trying to replicate the problem. My problems are - not connecting, having the music still play while placing a call, SIRI not asking who to call when pressing the phone button. However I have never had to reboot the phone -- usually just disconnect and reconnect seems to fix it but a couple of times this past year I had to shut off the car and restart it.

I'd love to figure out how to make these gremlins go away forever but since I have not been able to replicate a single failure I haven't bothered to try to tackle it nor to mention it to the dealer.....
Old 06-17-2018, 08:02 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer told me to use only real Apple cable. I did and found that it worked reliably. Unfortunately, the shortest Apple USB-Lightning cable is a half-meter long which is annoying to store in the center console box area.

I have recently ordered a short cable from Amazon that sounds like it might work:

CableCreation 0.5 Feet Short Lightning to USB Data Sync Cable [MFi Certified] Compatible with iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, iPad, 15CM,

I am currently away from home and have not yet been able to test it out but it looks to me as though it should. Unlike many cables, it supports both the data and charging functions and is MFI certified. We'll see but it looks promising. Otherwise, all I can suggest is that you follow my dealer's advice which will fairly certainly work.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:06 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

For me, with the car running, disconnect and reconnect the center console cord at the phone.

Last edited by Gary JR; 06-17-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:17 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
My dealer told me to use only real Apple cable. I did and found that it worked reliably. Unfortunately, the shortest Apple USB-Lightning cable is a half-meter long which is annoying to store in the center console box area.

I have recently ordered a short cable from Amazon that sounds like it might work:

CableCreation 0.5 Feet Short Lightning to USB Data Sync Cable [MFi Certified] Compatible with iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, iPad, 15CM,

I am currently away from home and have not yet been able to test it out but it looks to me as though it should. Unlike many cables, it supports both the data and charging functions and is MFI certified. We'll see but it looks promising. Otherwise, all I can suggest is that you follow my dealer's advice which will fairly certainly work.
I use a 6" cable and it works great. No issues with car play.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Norsk
Might also blow out the female end of the phone to clean it out.
That is great advice. In fact, anyone with an iPhone should do it now. Connection and charging issues are often caused by lint inside the female port on the phone. Take a paperclip and dig gently around (ahem). I came up with enough lint and fluff to weave a matching scarf and sweater-vest. Which I then proceeded to create. It’s simply stunning by the way.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:38 PM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

That is great advice. In fact, anyone with an iPhone should do it now. Connection and charging issues are often caused by lint inside the female port on the phone. Take a paperclip and dig gently around (ahem). I came up with enough lint and fluff to weave a matching scarf and sweater-vest. Which I then proceeded to create. It’s simply stunning by the way.

anything but the metal paper clip is good... toothpick would be a much better choice
Old 06-17-2018, 08:48 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Very good advice on the cleaning ^^^. If you carry your phone in your pocket at times a lot of lint accumulation is guaranteed over time.

One thing to remember is that getting power isn't by itself a good indication that the connection is clean since the data and bandwidth used to verify cable certification and then supply power isn't significant. However, the high bandwidth required for CarPlay is very high and requires all of the connections to be robust.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:06 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

All of a sudden Spotify won't show up on screen . can play through phone but not screen..................
Old 10-13-2018, 03:12 AM
grasmere
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amet

anything but the metal paper clip is good... toothpick would be a much better choice
agree with al posts, have same issue in my 2018 Cayman S, I’m going to clean the socket and hoping for a new pair socks 😂

Quick Reply: CarPlay - Failure to Connect