Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911T success?

Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Sounds like Porsche failed in their internal marketing/communications to dealer if even their own dealers apparently did not understand the T at the time they spec'd the cars sitting on the lot.
To say they didn't understand is putting a positive spin on things . I'm more of a cynic, I guess . I think the Porsche dealers as a group tend to be greedy, and didn't really care what the car was intended for. They saw it as another way to load it up with options their customers didn't care about, and believed the Lemmings would buy whatever they fed us, especially if it had a "special model" endorsement stamped on it. They also assumed that because most of their SUV buying Lemming customers prefer PDK, the same would hold true for the T . Never occurred to them we might actually have a strong preference for manual. Keep in mind, most car salesman, Porsche or otherwise, are not car guys. They just sell cars.

Last edited by Selo; 10-12-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
To say they didn't understand is putting a positive spin on things . I'm more if of a cynic, I guess . I think the Porsche dealers as a group tend to be greedy, and didn't really care what the car was intended for. They saw it as another way to load it up with options their customers didn't care about, and believed the Lemmings would buy whatever they fed us, especially if it had a "special model" endorsement stamped on it. They also assumed that because most of their SUV buying Lemming customers prefer PDK, the same would hold true for the T . Never occurred to them we might actually have a strong preference for manual. Keep in mind, most car salesman, Porsche or otherwise, are not car guys. They just sell cars.
A sad waste of allocations for sure.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

When I was shopping for my old GT3 I dropped by the dealer to take a look at the then new 991.1. No manual on the lot at the time. The sales guy (who is the sale mgr now) told me that Porsche doesn't make many manuals and that the manual is effectively dead. That mentality is a consideration when you think of how dealers order cars.

For the majority the T needs a manual or it's not a T. The PDK cars will sit because of this.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
I've added this thread to the growing debate list on the T... found here.
Come on BlackOptic, you forgot my thread, the grand daddy of all T threads:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1036...t-ordered.html

Old 10-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy M
When I was shopping for my old GT3 I dropped by the dealer to take a look at the then new 991.1. No manual on the lot at the time. The sales guy (who is the sale mgr now) told me that Porsche doesn't make many manuals and that the manual is effectively dead. That mentality is a consideration when you think of how dealers order cars.

For the majority the T needs a manual or it's not a T. The PDK cars will sit because of this.
I have been told all kinds of variations of this. The manual is dead. The manual is no good. They don't make it anymore. Everybody wants pdk. The pdk is much faster and better. Once you try pdk you won't care about a manual anymore. The PDK is more fun. the pdk lets you have the best of both worlds, automatic when you want it to be and manual when you want it to be.
I've had it stuffed down my throat in every way you can imagine. The thing is, I've tried it, and the bottom line is, to me, it still feels like a slushbox. Don't get me wrong, it's a really good slushbox, but the bottom line is I still prefer to shift on my own. I don't understand if the salesmen just truly don't understand that, or if they're just doing their job and trying to sell what's on their lot. Either way, it gets old.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:22 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by k997
Come on BlackOptic, you forgot my thread, the grand daddy of all T threads:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1036...t-ordered.html

Nope, it was there. One of the classic early-era "what options" and occasional naturally hashberated T-bashing threads. (Third after "And other thoughts on the T" section... I hadn't got around to changing the title back.) We've matured since then, and the T-bashing threads are shorter-lived. Until the next one.

Back on topic tho... I'm in the camp that I'm driving my T. It's my first Poorsche, and it's got to last me until 2027 when my youngest finishes college. Said that way... This T will be a classic by then, and be worth much more!!!

Last edited by BlackOptic; 10-12-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:23 PM
dcottam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
""Porsche doesn't make many manuals and that the manual is effectively dead.""
Strangely enough, if you look at the Ferrari market, F360s, F430s and F599s with stick trade at a hefty premium over those with paddles. That is a limited market of course, and Porsche and the dealers are not stupid so you have to assume that what they say about new car sales demand with the different transmissions is true - if there was more demand for MT than PDK they would build more and carry them as dealer stock.

Perhaps the Ferrari thing is due to the fact that (sweeping generalization to follow) most people who can afford Ferraris are older, and older people are more likely to be able to drive MT???? - I know that there are rich young capable people out there before anyone makes that point.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by dcottam
Strangely enough, if you look at the Ferrari market, F360s, F430s and F599s with stick trade at a hefty premium over those with paddles. That is a limited market of course, and Porsche and the dealers are not stupid so you have to assume that what they say about new car sales demand with the different transmissions is true - if there was more demand for MT than PDK they would build more and carry them as dealer stock.

Perhaps the Ferrari thing is due to the fact that (sweeping generalization to follow) most people who can afford Ferraris are older, and older people are more likely to be able to drive MT???? - I know that there are rich young capable people out there before anyone makes that point.
^ Hard to know with Ferrari, but I know this: I'm 44 and my interest in Ferrari largely died when they did away with the gated manual. Have driven a few since then, and they were fantastic cars but not all that interesting to me in terms of actually wanting to own one.

I think something the carmakers get very wrong is that there isn't anyone out there who wants a simpler, more mechanical experience in a modern car with modern safety, a warranty, etc. They build half-hearted affairs out of existing (and well targeted) luxury sports cars, and then wonder why those cars flounder. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'd love to see Porsche do something more like the Fiat 500 Abarth (too bad it's FWD) or Alfa 4C (too bad it's big scrill and saddled with an automatic), yet thoroughly Porsche. Low. Small. Timeless. A new giant killer, one to go alongside a 911 or Macan in the garage. It would be brilliant with an NA flat four or tiny flat six, but a rear-motored EV with Taycan components could also be interesting if the car itself is elemental enough. Straight cut gears could even add RSR/Cup noises, which are arguably more intoxicating than flat six noises judging by my experience in Porsche's modern race cars. An EV wouldn't solve my fixation with manual gearboxes, but perhaps it could be sexy enough (and useful enough in the real world) to make it irresistible.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:34 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
...An EV wouldn't solve my fixation with manual gearboxes, but perhaps it could be sexy enough (and useful enough in the real world) to make it irresistible.
I'm in. All these EV SUV's pi$$ me off. (I need ~250 mile range though.)

Back on the T. It's sunny here, and the neighbor P club is headed our way! Gonna be a great fall weekend to celebrate the T.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:36 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

Prior to the T, R and the Touring and now the Speedster Porsche dealers could not give away an MT. Not long ago there were 5-6 MT Carrera's in the DC area that sat forever. Several dealers I have bought cars from said they would never spec an MT for inventory. As someone here said they just sell cars and the T to them was just another PDK 911.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think some of it has to do with the demographic of the dealership as well. I am in Orlando but I drove 2 and half hours away to a dealer out in the country to by my T. I did this because in Orlando the only dealer currently is a huge corporation. They sell a lot of cars and refuse to negotiate or discount. The dealer 2 1/2 hours away is in the middle of a huge retirement section of the state and they primarily sell to a demographic that is older. They don’t sell as many cars so they are more willing to work with you to earn your business. They also don’t have huge waiting list for allocations.. however the cars they spec always have PDK because the customer base they cater to only wants PDK. this dealer has to manual T’s on the lot now that have been sitting for a couple months. The problem with the cars is the dealer spec them half way between what either enthusiast would want. They have manual trans. So the older customers don’t want them. They also have sun roofs, 18 way seats and a bunch of other luxuries that a T purist doesn’t want.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:06 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Perfect example of a dealer not knowing what their customers or the market want. Those 2 options kill the demand for the purists that buy the T. And they will most likely assume they screwed up and never order an MT for inventory again.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
If the T were as desirable as those cars, there wouldn't be so many sitting unsold on dealer lots. It may have happened somewhere, but I never saw a GT4 or Spyder unspoken for when it hit a dealer. I'm not trying to compare them in any way other than the desirability scale you asked about.
I think problem with dealer cars is that they loaded t up with options that defeat purpose of car and jack up price. Cars at my dealer had sunroofs, standard seats , pdk. ...argh. I ordered bare bones for $20k less than my dealers optioned cars . To me it makes no sense to get this car with pdk or with rear seats.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:04 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Well, I was able to take a 7MT for a test drive today. I thought it was great, and applaud Porsche for continuing to make cars like this available. I decided to pass on my allocation, though, for a few reasons ....bottom line is it doesn't fill the niche my family and I need right now. If all one needs is a toy, though, it's a blast.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:21 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

A high end dealer friend of mine used to say you never wanted a car with a "story" I.e color, options, model etc. I would suggest most if not all dealer inventory T's have a story and that is why they are not sold and sitting on a lot. Imagine a Mary K GT3 PTS in their pink, it would still be on the lot at dealer cost. Lots of comments about this car but many ordered a correct car and love them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911T success?