Sponsored by:

911T success?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 11:41 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
No. GT4 and Spyder were never parts bin cars. .
Not correct. The GT4 is very much a parts bin car. Born as a cayman, got a Carrera S motor, GT3 suspensjon bits and a terribly long geared transmission.
The GT4 has good adjustability in set up for the track and it was 1/3 cost of a 991.1 GT3 when new. The GT4 have 5 lug and smaller wheels so more cost effective to track. Why it is a popular car and good track car but it is not a good city or cruise car.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

All 911s are a treat to drive. T, S, GTS, Turbo, GT, etc.
Just different flavours depending on what you are looking for.

To add, most of us have dreamt about the 911s since childhood and it’s basically a life goal to own one....after that build up and forking out our hard earned dollars there aren’t many that regret it. (Of course part of that is because the cars are so awesome!)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:41 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
All 911s are a treat to drive. T, S, GTS, Turbo, GT, etc.
Just different flavours depending on what you are looking for.

To add, most of us have dreamt about the 911s since childhood and it’s basically a life goal to own one....after that build up and forking out our hard earned dollars there aren’t many that regret it. (Of course part of that is because the cars are so awesome!)
Truth!!!
Old 10-10-2018, 01:51 AM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, they're going to keep building em once the 992 comes along and August loves em!!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...carrera-t-992/
Old 10-10-2018, 04:36 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I've ordered a T for my daily driver and its in production as I type this. There's demand for this car from purists who want features that aren't on normal Carrera's...RAS, carbon buckets, lightweight GT2 glass, improved gear ratios with short shifter, etc. so the one guy who said above that no GT car parts are included is wrong. I bought it to drive it...

There's a few 911T's sitting on dealer lots that are bloated cars. This isn't supposed to be a bloated car.
This, for me at least, is completely accurate. Had I liked the T I test drove, I would have jumped on it. But it had a bunch of things on it that I didn't want to pay for and didn't have several things on it I did. Looking at many on lots, it's the same thing.

My ability to spec this with things I've always wanted, and not having to pay some crazy ADM or have some relationship with a GM based on financial interests was great to me. Thank you Porsche. Maybe THAT is what is so threatening to some... Other than paying a lot less money for the smiles, the big cost is the wait. Totally worth it.

Deriding someone else's joy says a lot more about the person writing than who they are writing about. If you've driven one, then you are entitled to say whatever you like, IMO. If not... What you are writing sounds unfounded and snotty. Porsche HAS figured out a way to sell more Carreras. Gloriously. And by giving many of us the ability to get just what we want without a bunch of hype. But they've also figured out a way to sell many many more GTs. Why is that ok, but this is not?

Back to the beginning. As this is in addition to your Spyder, do it! You won't regret it. That is a lot of allocations left. But that gives you flexibility and bargaining power. Good for 100ish more people to get on the T rain!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:11 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem

Not correct. The GT4 is very much a parts bin car. Born as a cayman, got a Carrera S motor, GT3 suspensjon bits and a terribly long geared transmission.
The GT4 has good adjustability in set up for the track and it was 1/3 cost of a 991.1 GT3 when new. The GT4 have 5 lug and smaller wheels so more cost effective to track. Why it is a popular car and good track car but it is not a good city or cruise car.
Yes correct.

A parts bin car is like a Black Edition, or a GTS. Add parts that are already available for the model and make them as a standard package into a special model. 911T follows the same pattern with parts already available. We can argue on the margin about the transmission and gearing that had to be redesigned. We can also argue on the margin that the GTS gets the power kit etc.

Placing a 991.1S engine in a Cayman is totally different and does not follow this pattern. More importunately, Porsche made a huge departure from their strategy which was to protect the iconic 911 from the other models. They decided to allow the Cayman/Boxster chassis to fulfill it's potential and made it faster than the Carrera - something that pundits had been claiming Porsche would never do. The cars were game changers. Not a parts bin marketing exercise.

Wait till the 718 comes out with a 4.0L GT3 engine. Another game changer. Not another parts bin car. 911 is becoming a two door Panamera (especially with the 992). The Cayman/Boxster will be left as the last Porsche true sports car. Just saying.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
The T is obviously a threat to some. I don't get why that is. I have yet to hear a negative opinion from anyone who has been behind the wheel of one; but plenty from those who own other 911 models. They're all great, choose the one you want.
Why would anyone be threatened by a car? Its just a base carrera with the availability of a few options. Nothing more nothing less. The weight savings is miniscule to the point of being undetectable and aside from those options, the only benefit is gearing. If you option it without these few items (buckets, ras, etc) then its basically just a base car, which is a fine car.

Some people, including me, don't view it as being anything special....but given that its a 911, its already a very good car.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Why would anyone be threatened by a car? Its just a base carrera with the availability of a few options. Nothing more nothing less. The weight savings is miniscule to the point of being undetectable and aside from those options, the only benefit is gearing. If you option it without these few items (buckets, ras, etc) then its basically just a base car, which is a fine car.

Some people, including me, don't view it as being anything special....but given that its a 911, its already a very good car.
Because it may cause them to question their purchase. Then they post comments such as yours...
Old 10-10-2018, 02:05 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m not sure threatened is the right word but it seems that those who don’t think the T is that special may feel annoyed about the T hype. People who own the Carrera, S, or GTS are constantly reminded that the T is the “pure” 911 and that any other variant except
the GT cars will not be as highly regarded in the future as the T. This is of course rubbish. The best Porsche for me is the one I love driving not the one that I think will be worth the most in the future.

Personally, I like the T but not enough to buy one. My biggest gripe is with the manual transmission. I wish it were a 6 speed with shorter gearing. In my previous C4S, I couldn’t go over 4000 rpm’s in 2nd gear without getting a ticket in my town.

To the OP, whatever you do, don’t get rid of the Spyder. I have a 987 Spyder and I wouldn’t trade mine for a 911, except maybe a water cooler. If you can swing it, add the T. It would be a nice garage mate to the Spyder.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I think the T is a good car, but I don't see them as a replacement for the specialness of the Spyder or the GT4. Now if they had put a 6 speed manual in it rather than a 7 speed and put more performance options in the base car for the base price, I'd have a different opinion. For me, both the 7 speed and the fact that it easily pushes $130k+ with some good performance options, puts a damper on the excitement. Offer an option package with LWBs, 6 speed, RAS, SPASM, PCCB and the 5 spoke wheels for around $105k and I'd be in.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by crossroads
To the OP, whatever you do, don’t get rid of the Spyder. I have a 987 Spyder and I wouldn’t trade mine for a 911, except maybe a water cooler. If you can swing it, add the T. It would be a nice garage mate to the Spyder.
Everyone has opinions, and I agree on the above with re: to a 987 Spyder, but I wouldn't hesitate trading a 981 Spyder for a Carrera T or even a "mere" 991.2 Carrera 7MT. I prefer the GT4 to the 981 Spyder (but prefer the 987 Spyder to the GT4...), yet I don't miss my GT4 *at all* after making the switch to a .2 Carrera. If I was tracking the car regularly (and a lot), I might feel differently, but the 911 is more fun more of the time. Engine and gearbox are vastly superior for spirited driving as well as cruising and touring, though the shifter is just a bit less sweet. Handling is more interesting/demanding/rewarding, and it's nice to have back seats. YMMV, of course, and there is no doubting that the Spyder and GT4 have a certain "it factor" that a Carrera T or Carrera just don't...but I care more about driving than "it-ing", and the 370-hp cars represent a rare ultra sweet spot from Porsche IMO. Did I mention YMMV?

As for success of the Carrera T, I don't care for its name or its marketing plan, but it's a success in my book if only for sweetening an already great model and significantly increasing the number of 7MT cars in North America. Last I spoke to someone at PCNA, the take rate on ordered Ts was something like 80%...no bad thing for manual gearbox enthusiasts in the years to come.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,177 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Got a call today from a dealer re a T allocation......
So, now that the T has been out for awhile, what's the verdict? When the GT4 and 981 Spyder were released, there was some concern that they were parts bin cars and might not be so good. We all know how that turned out. So what's the final feeling about the T? Is it as desirable as the GT4 and 981 Spyder?
Hi. I collected my Carrera T on April 6th. In the last 6 months I’ve already covered 7,872 miles, so I’m under no false impression that my car will retain value anything like a GT car or Spyder. I bought my T to be a daily driver and it’s my sole car. It’s my 4th Porsche, following on from a Macan 2.0, a 991.1 C2 and a 2017 Panamera 4. To me, the T feels the most special out of the 4, by a country mile!

However, in my view, as a T owner, I don’t think it’s as ‘special’ as say a GT3 or GT4, but for me, as a brilliant daily driver, the T suits my needs better than a GT car would.

Having said all this, I was very interested to read recently about the T ‘upgrades’ being offered by a company (Litchfield) here in the UK.

Such changes could potentially take my daily driver closer to a junior GT3 (with Touring Pack) but with back seats and greater daily usability.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, no way it's taking the place of my 981 Spyder. The only thing that might take the place of my 981 Spyder is - maybe- a 718 Spyder.
This car would be an addition.
I was on the list for a GT3 but passed, as I wouldn't be tracking it and it's become such a 'UGE investment. Heaven forbid it gets a scratch or ding! Also on the list for a Speedster but fat chance of that, and again, the investment could buy a vacation home.
GTS? Super nice car, but costs like a GT car yet depreciation is much worse.
Seems like the T is kind of hitting a sweet spot. Sure, I also wish it were a 6MT instead of 7, and I really wish it had a cab variant, but.....seems like a super nice package nonetheless. I'd be thinking RAS as the only real unique option vs the base. I'm not a LWB guy, and I definitely want real glass in my windows.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

There's a really nice one at Porsche Monterey for the low, low price of only $139,740...
Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I traded my base 981 cayman in on my T. I was well on the path to making my 981 the ultimate drivers car. I added the x73 sport suspension, gt3 sway bars, S brakes, gt3 master cylinder, techart wing II, and the complete OEMpart number GT4 front clip. Through out this process what I learned was the car was great to drive rite up until I put the GT4 nose on it. Don’t get me wrong the down force was outstanding but I was constantly having to swerve,stop, slow down to prevent ripping it off when driving on the street. This ruined my driving experience.
My research tells me that when the GT4 and spider were released the Porsche market was an inflating bubble. Most of those cars were brokered,speculated and flipped. I personally don’t put to much credence on the quick selling of those cars to mean they were great due to the flipping market of those type of Porsche models. I have seen several GT4’s in the body shop with broken strut towers. (Poor design in the suspension setup)
After Driving a properly optioned T I experienced the pure driving experience that I was looking for without the worry of pulling into a gas station and ripping the nose off. (Like some kid in a stanced ricer)
I have also learned thru various sources that Porsche has been systematically ruducing allocations as we get closer to the release of the 992 the dealers are currently being force fed T’s that is why there are so many on lots. The dealers will spec them for what they think they can sell the fastest. That is why so many are spec with sun roofs, PDK’s and other nonsense that should not be on a T.
All 911s are great cars but each model does resonate with a particular driver focus. The T is a purist focus 911 and the one I felt met my expectations. If you are looking for a great driving car. The T is worth looking at. If you are looking to drive for a year for free and flip the car good luck.

Quick Reply: 911T success?