Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who does OR doesn’t have PPF on corner of rear bumper (behind rear wheels)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:42 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Who does OR doesn’t have PPF on corner of rear bumper (behind rear wheels)?

Got my wrap redone on the corners of my rear bumper. Only issue is I noticed he didn’t wrap it ALL the way around the little curve like my previous pre-cut piece (new one is custom cut). If you look closely, you can see it (the seam) ends right before said curve.

Only pro I can see to this is that I won’t see the peeling and bubbling the previous wrap got as I’m sure the installer will say “it’s such a small area, it won’t be able to bite hard enough” when I contact him. That bubbling probably looks worse than tiny rock chips in an area always covered in dirt anyways.

Anyone think this little exposed area will get trashed, or too small an area so no worries and forget about it? If any of you don’t have this area covered, would be curious as to how it’s held up.

Gracias.

Name:  YwWhhwK.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  273.7 KB
Old 10-04-2018, 11:07 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The exposed area will get trashed. A good installer can cover that edge and not have issues.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:31 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
The exposed area will get trashed. A good installer can cover that edge and not have issues.
Grr. Yeah I guess there's no getting around that. Especially with my HRE's having a wider offset than stock. Instead of removing it all together, I would be ok with him just adding a super thin and long PPF to cover that area. So thin I'm almost wondering if it's possible, but I don't see why not. Would make bubbling less of an issue in that corner area I'd think as well.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Just went out and looked at mine. Other than a spot of tar I need to clean off and a small nick at the very bottom edge of the PPF, it seems to be holding up well and was wrapped under all the way around like you see here. The speckling is the GT Silver metal flakes.

You might also notice a second line at the lower left. Its the second layer of PPF I had the installer add right along the edge of the rocker panel... with the top of the extra piece aligned with the top of the bumpy coating done by the factory. We're hoping that if it gets too badly beaten up over time we can peel that off and have a fresher layer underneath. Its an experiment, sort of like tear-off-sheets on a motorcycle racer's visor.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:09 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by StormRune
Just went out and looked at mine. Other than a spot of tar I need to clean off and a small nick at the very bottom edge of the PPF, it seems to be holding up well and was wrapped under all the way around like you see here. The speckling is the GT Silver metal flakes.

You might also notice a second line at the lower left. Its the second layer of PPF I had the installer add right along the edge of the rocker panel... with the top of the extra piece aligned with the top of the bumpy coating done by the factory. We're hoping that if it gets too badly beaten up over time we can peel that off and have a fresher layer underneath. Its an experiment, sort of like tear-off-sheets on a motorcycle racer's visor.
Nice, thanks. Is that the side that’s facing the door (along the fender)? I was actually speaking of the edges/corners of the bumper itself (not as thick of an area). But you got me to check that same area on my car and low and behind, it’s pretty chewed up (no protection). We often forget that tires can throw debris forward too. I’m not too concerned as you can’t really see those areas, but protecting them certainly doesn’t hurt.

With the exposed corners of my rear bumper PPF (re: the O/P picture), I think I’m just gonna have the guy put some super thin pieces to cover it. There will be a slight seam, but again, so low and hidden that I can deal with it.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

I had just the rear wheel arch done in addition to front half of car. Made sure to do this because i have RAS. The piece ends 1 mm from the inner most edge because the bumped edge is jagged from the factory, and this way it wont dehisce when it gets pounded with rocks and elements. Front arches were wrapped in continuity with front quarter pannel piece. The ppf is alrrady doing its job with 2600 miles. Even the 1mm exposed area that you cant see unless u stick your head in the wheel wells looks messed up compared to the ppf'ed part.
if u wanna see in better detail how they wrapped it check my ppf video on the channel, i do a walk around towards the end.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:38 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Ah, you did say "behind" rear wheels. Here's a shot of the back edge. It doesn't quite cover all of the paint but wraps under too.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:58 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

I use colour matched gaffer tape.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:20 PM
K-A
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. Now what I’m really curious of is who does not have that area wrapped (according to my wrap guy, he’s never seen another 911 with it wrapped) as I’d be curious to see how they look.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Risley
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my last 4 Porsche cars wrapped in the wheel well areas. I have three layers of clear Gorilla Tape surrounding the wheel well lips until I can bring it in to my Xpel installer. I'm more concerned about the wheel wells and rockers than I am the front end. I NEVER tail gate and I avoid getting anywhere near dump trucks, landscaper trucks, etc...
Old 10-06-2018, 11:02 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Risley
I've had my last 4 Porsche cars wrapped in the wheel well areas. I have three layers of clear Gorilla Tape surrounding the wheel well lips until I can bring it in to my Xpel installer. I'm more concerned about the wheel wells and rockers than I am the front end. I NEVER tail gate and I avoid getting anywhere near dump trucks, landscaper trucks, etc...
That actually sounds like a pretty easy and cheap solution. Does gorilla tape risk pulling actual clearcoat or paint off, if left on for a long time? I wouldn't mind throwing some on the inner wheel linings since I don't need it to look perfect there, as it's simply not noticeable enough.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Risley
Advanced

Originally Posted by K-A
That actually sounds like a pretty easy and cheap solution. Does gorilla tape risk pulling actual clearcoat or paint off, if left on for a long time? I wouldn't mind throwing some on the inner wheel linings since I don't need it to look perfect there, as it's simply not noticeable enough.
Hi KA,
I have two coats of Collinite 476S wax topped with Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer so the Gorilla clear tape doesn't stick that bad at all, it pulls off easily with little resistance. Having said that I wouldn't leave it on for more than a few weeks. Its just a temporary solution.

Note: I'm using the Gorilla Clear tape not the Gorilla Duct Tape. The Gorilla Clear tape looks just like 3M packing tape only thicker.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:53 PM
K-A
Drifting

Hi KA,
I have two coats of Collinite 476S wax topped with Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer so the Gorilla clear tape doesn't stick that bad at all, it pulls off easily with little resistance. Having said that I wouldn't leave it on for more than a few weeks. Its just a temporary solution.

Note: I'm using the Gorilla Clear tape not the Gorilla Duct Tape. The Gorilla Clear tape looks just like 3M packing tape only thicker.
Interesting. Considering how insanely sticky 3M PPF tape is, honestly I wouldn't imagine it should or could be much or any worse in regards to leaving it on. But yeah, in that case you can prob just buy a bit of clear PPF and do it yourself in those key spots. Shouldn't be that hard I'd think.... though I don't trust my hands with a razor near my car, so there's that.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:19 AM
K-A
Drifting

Hi KA,

Hey Risley, just to be clear, you’re using the Gorilla Clear Repair tape, yeah? I noticed I have Gorilla “Crystal Clear Duct” tape, but the adhesive is probably too sticky on that.

I might try your method on the portion of the inner wheel well closest to the door. I guess why not. How did you fit it btw? Cut with razor?
Old 10-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Risley
Advanced

Hi KA,

Don't cut or trim it on the car. Just use about a 15" long piece on the wheel well behind each wheel. Make sure the paint is clean before installing, remember its just temporary protection and as much a perfectionist as I am this doesn't need to be perfect.

Quick Reply: Who does OR doesn’t have PPF on corner of rear bumper (behind rear wheels)?