Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 *base model* suspension discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:19 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
... flying to ATL next week for business and will take a 718 Base out for 90 minutes on their track. Can't wait.
OT: very interested in your impressions of how a base 718 compares to a 981[BC]S. I drove a 718CS a while back and liked it. Better “drivability” as compared to our 981CS.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:00 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Porsche actually doesn't break models within the 911 range down by sales, and a lot of newer 911 sales are GT3's (and GT2's trickling in there now). In U.S market, it's selling better than last year, but still not better than the .1. If you're talking about the 997 gen, then yeah the 991 as a whole is selling better (but the 997 was hampered by the recession, so not really a fair comparison).
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1100...it-thread.html
Old 10-05-2018, 07:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
My experience in the .2 base was similar. I felt it was too soft, actually way too soft. However, very compliant and balanced. It felt confident and like it can handle corners very well, but the sensation and feeling it gave was a bit too disconnected and smooth/soft compared to my .1 with PASM, H&R's and PTV+, which just feels stiffer (though still plenty soft during normal driving as 991's in general are) and more "direct" to the road. It makes me wonder which will actually technically handle better on backroads, as .2's obviously have chassis tweaks to refine it overall, be it handling and comfort, but lacks the PTV+ and lower center of gravity/what I assume is stiffer spring rate. The .2 definitely felt more compliant, but not as sporty.
Trouble is, you're off the reservation with H&R springs...comparisons to stock 991.1 and stock 991.2 suspension just aren't useful to others unless they're seen as a data point. (Don't worry, I just joined you off the reservation with TechArt springs.)

I logged about 12,000-14,000 miles with stock 991.2 Carrera suspension—and probably 1,500-3,000 miles with stock 991.1 Carrera suspension—and really don't get the "it's too soft" comments unless someone is looking for a Carrera to feel like a GT4 or a GT3. Nothing wrong with that, as those cars are brilliant, but the Carrera's more compliant suspension may make it quicker over the road in some situations. YMMV, but the only thing that bugs me about the 991.2 Carrera's suspension is the ride height. It's near perfect (if not perfect) for road work, and stiff enough for occasional track days...at least for me, anyway.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
...the only thing that bugs me about the 991.2 Carrera's suspension is the ride height. It's near perfect (if not perfect) for road work, and stiff enough for occasional track days...
I hear ya... I actually find my 996 Turbo oem suspension to be pretty brilliant for canyon carving, but damn it looks off-road with the tire/fender gaps! I have a set of Bilstein B8's and lowering springs sitting in my garage uninstalled as I'm half afraid it will look great but loose the effortless and amazing handling that currently has me dropping friends with McLarens, Ferrari's, Lambo's behind once the roads get really twisty...

No doubt a stiffer/lower can help on the track, but for mountain twisties on imperfect roads, a bit more compliance can be a good thing.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Trouble is, you're off the reservation with H&R springs...comparisons to stock 991.1 and stock 991.2 suspension just aren't useful to others unless they're seen as a data point. (Don't worry, I just joined you off the reservation with TechArt springs.)

I logged about 12,000-14,000 miles with stock 991.2 Carrera suspension—and probably 1,500-3,000 miles with stock 991.1 Carrera suspension—and really don't get the "it's too soft" comments unless someone is looking for a Carrera to feel like a GT4 or a GT3. Nothing wrong with that, as those cars are brilliant, but the Carrera's more compliant suspension may make it quicker over the road in some situations. YMMV, but the only thing that bugs me about the 991.2 Carrera's suspension is the ride height. It's near perfect (if not perfect) for road work, and stiff enough for occasional track days...at least for me, anyway.
I'm agree with the above. I think suspension 'feeling' is very subjective compared to what you're used to. If you're coming from another P-car which has been modified with lower and stiffer springs, then the stock base 991.2 car will feel soft for sure.

Comparing it to my stock 997.2 C4S (apart from the DSC module) the 991.2 is 'softer' in that it absorbs the bumps better, but has less body roll, dive and pitch. So overall, the body control and handling are much better, despite the shocks being 'softer' to take road impacts like railroad tracks and manhole covers. If you come to an abrupt stop in the base 991.2 car, there is virtually no dive, and no reverse rebound when you come to a halt. The 997.2 C4S had a little bit of that.

I think the best way to describe the 991.2 is that it is very compliant over pretty much all road surfaces.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Saw that after I posted that. Insane how GT3’s are the biggest 911 sellers in 2018 by quite a margin. Carrera sales being so low thankfully proves the dealer who told me that Carrera allocations this year would be minute, wasn’t lying after all. Gearing up for 992 and trying to fill mega GT3 demand obviously has taken precedence in that regard.

Yeah, I get that. My .1 base with H&R’s and PASM and PTV+ is probably as it sits a 1 of 1, or close to it. Not a relevant comparo to nearly anyone. Personally, however, I wonder if the lower CoG and PTV+ would overcome a standard .2 base’s handling enhancements, in comparison. Hard to tell for me as they both had positive elements over one another when I drove them back to back.

Just to clarify, I find even my car “too soft,” but that definitely becomes apppreciated when just putting around these city roads. Porsche really perfect the art of “track engineered sports car for traffic conditions.” No extremes, just a lot of careful walking lines to accomplish a lot at once.

Still trying to figure out of my H&R Sport springs (which I’m pretty sure are the same ones as linked) are stiffer than base .1 spring rate? You by chance have an idea?

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...SABEgJczfD_BwE
Old 10-06-2018, 09:08 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Its got me beat why people believe/perceive higher spring rates are better - its a myth, particularly in relation to a road car.

Suspension in the whole is an integrated function to deliver an optimal contact patch under a range of conditions from braking through all facets of cornering to acceleration. A reasonably compliant suspension c.f. GTB or any Mclaren ensures the tires are in maximum contact with the road surface = more traction and grip at all times.

If you want to deal with roll, you deal with sway bars - and roll is fine, it keeps the cars contact patch adhered to the ground - if bars are to thick the result is snap oversteer

If you want to deal with pitch, you deal with springs - and pitch is fine, it allows optimal braking and weight transfer for optimal corner entry - by weight transfer to the front and hence the contact patches.

Yaw is a trade off.

The lowering spring kits do not produce much of a benefit - largely, they are cosmetic . Nothing right or wrong about this - they deliver very little.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-06-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 *base model* suspension discussion...