Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Would a 991.2 GTS lowered on springs and on lightweight wheels need a custom map or is plug n play just fine?

I am about to place an order too!!
Old 10-26-2018, 12:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Would a 991.2 GTS lowered on springs and on lightweight wheels need a custom map or is plug n play just fine?

I am about to place an order too!!
no...just install lowering springs...realign car install wheels and drive. Sure the DSC unit will “tune” the suspension as everyone says to operate better. I have friends with DSC and at the track it’s a great upgrade I’m told...for street driving they’re not sure it really matters.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:38 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

People r starting to make this thing sound like magic lol

i got mine Wednesday, had to leave for business trip before I could put it on the car. Will report back Sunday!
Old 10-26-2018, 01:50 AM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
with DSC and at the track it’s a great upgrade I’m told...for street driving they’re not sure it really matters.
I’d love to hear from others regarding DSC impact on street driving. My GTS will be a daily driver and I’m not planning to track it. Is DSC a worthwhile upgrade for a DD?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:04 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech_expat

I’d love to hear from others regarding DSC impact on street driving. My GTS will be a daily driver and I’m not planning to track it. Is DSC a worthwhile upgrade for a DD?
I think it's a worthy upgrade for street driving and for aggressive street driving, like when I take my car to SoCal for canyon carving. I live in San Francisco and I can definitely feel an improvement on crappy San Francisco streets. The car feels more planted and less bouncy.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:11 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

My TTS will probably never see a track but I went for the DSC solely for the additional ride comfort on the street.. Both DSC modes provide a more comfortable ride than the PASM Normal and Sport modes were and for that reason alone I am exceptionally pleased. The ride comfort does not come at the expense of "sporty-ness" and DSC Sport mode is now my normal driving mode unless the road is really rough in which case I switch to Normal and "drive on".

Old 10-26-2018, 10:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I personally do to have DSC...but plenty of my track buddy's except for a few of use have DSC. They all tell me for normal street driving they don't see use for DSC unless driving down extremely bumpy roads DSC makes the ride better because the shocks will process information faster with DSC. . We live in Florida...not many curves and everything is flat. Plus aggressive driving on public roads is not something we really do....no where near our track driving can be done on the street.

If you live where you can do some really super tire squealing aggressive driving in canyons out in the middle of nowhere then I'd bet DSC would help. At the track driving a modern day street Porsche those that have DSC, especially at a bumpy track like Sebring tell me they can tell some difference in the very bumpy corners.

Since I hope to sell or trade in my GTS soon for a GT3....I opted not to spend $1500 on DSC. If you have money to burn your finances might be different than mine...DSC does really work but from those I speak with that are great drivers...it seems to really be something for a car used on the track.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

If your car's ride height is lowered and you have DSC, you should definitely zero the ride height sensors to the lowered ride height. Otherwise the system will think the car's suspension is in compression all the time. This procedure is called "Zero Travel". It is incredibly simple to do-
1. Connect your PC to DSC using a USB-to-mini cable
2. Turn your car's ignition ON to power up the factory ride height sensors
3. Open the DSC Tuning Software (available from www.dscsport.com if you don't already have it)
4. Go to "File" > "Vehicle Type" > select "9x1
5. Go to "Settings" > "Zero Travel"
6. Go to "Tools" > "Reset Board"
Done!

Without zero'ing the ride height sensors DSC will still work better than PASM controller on a lowered car based on rate of change for ride height sensor data, but it works even better when zero'ed!
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
LaVaDog (11-06-2021), Tier1Terrier (02-18-2024)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

I just did a DSC install on a car with roll car and zero'ed the height sensor since this car is lowered. Its not easy to get in there with the roll bar so I left a USB cable attached to the DSC for zero'ing the ride sensors and for any data logging and for any possible future software updates.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:58 PM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I think it's a worthy upgrade for street driving and for aggressive street driving, like when I take my car to SoCal for canyon carving. I live in San Francisco and I can definitely feel an improvement on crappy San Francisco streets. The car feels more planted and less bouncy.
Originally Posted by JR956678
My TTS will probably never see a track but I went for the DSC solely for the additional ride comfort on the street.. Both DSC modes provide a more comfortable ride than the PASM Normal and Sport modes were and for that reason alone I am exceptionally pleased. The ride comfort does not come at the expense of "sporty-ness" and DSC Sport mode is now my normal driving mode unless the road is really rough in which case I switch to Normal and "drive on".
Originally Posted by mdrums
I personally do to have DSC...but plenty of my track buddy's except for a few of use have DSC. They all tell me for normal street driving they don't see use for DSC unless driving down extremely bumpy roads DSC makes the ride better because the shocks will process information faster with DSC. . We live in Florida...not many curves and everything is flat. Plus aggressive driving on public roads is not something we really do....no where near our track driving can be done on the street.
Thanks for the insightful feedback, gents. I'm a few years out from a 991.1 CS with SPASM, and I recall having to keep dampers in normal mode for all but the smoothest of roads. With the inbound 991.2 GTS I'm hoping to improve on both comfort and responsiveness. Based on your feedback and this thread, this appears to be an upgrade which has delivered for many. I'm in!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:55 PM
basic666
Racer

just got my DSC installed and drove around for a few days. TBH every day driving you barely notice any difference at all. Especially in terms of comfort level, which i would say the change is nearly undetectable.

What i do feel is if you are going through a corner at higher speed or during acceleration, instead of being *thrown around* in the car, its more like the car is holding you. For example before when accelerating, you can clearly feel the back of your car leaning back and lowering, where as now it feels more like the seat is holding you and pushing you forward.

IMO unless you are planning to track your car all the time, its not really worth the money, especially if you were hoping it would improve every day ride quality, which it didn't make much of a difference at all. I'm in a 2018 GTS btw.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:10 AM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Our OPTIMA Ultimate Street Challenge 991TTS runs DSC V3 controller, DSC/Tractive dampers, and factory PDCC.
I think PDCC is a wonderful thing, at low speeds(under 20mph) in many situations you almost don't want to have sway bar action.
Here's photo showing the mini electronic damper sway bar link.

This car rocks the show!
991.1 TT owner here, I have regular PASM paired with GMG lowering springs. Will the DSC module still play well with this suspension setup?
Old 11-20-2018, 12:26 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
just got my DSC installed and drove around for a few days. TBH every day driving you barely notice any difference at all. Especially in terms of comfort level, which i would say the change is nearly undetectable.

What i do feel is if you are going through a corner at higher speed or during acceleration, instead of being *thrown around* in the car, its more like the car is holding you. For example before when accelerating, you can clearly feel the back of your car leaning back and lowering, where as now it feels more like the seat is holding you and pushing you forward.

IMO unless you are planning to track your car all the time, its not really worth the money, especially if you were hoping it would improve every day ride quality, which it didn't make much of a difference at all. I'm in a 2018 GTS btw.
Do you have PDCC?
Old 11-20-2018, 01:25 AM
basic666
Racer

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Do you have PDCC?
nah
Old 11-20-2018, 02:51 AM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666

I have a 2018 GTS as well and the DSC did completely changed my every day ride quality and the comfort level is much improved. Not sure how your is setup but I could not imagine driving the car without it. Roads that were rough and jarring without the DSC or now nice and smooth with the DSC. This would be one of my first mods for my car every time. Maybe all the roads are nice and smooth where you live but not in LA.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module