Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
The force that causes the rear end squat is still there pushing down on the rear end of the car.
The car just doesnt compress the springs as much as the shocks are stiffer.
Correct. Its all about weight distribution(transfer) management. Too stiff the tires will just spin, too soft it'll hop and/or bottom out on the bump stops. DSC reads and reacts to body moment and g-force to manage dynamic weight distribution to increase tire grip during a launch. This has proven to be very effective by DSC users who have been to the drag strip. Avid drag racers install rear "drag shocks" that are designed to have specific damping characteristic to optimize launching and the 60-foot times. DSC commands the rear shocks to have similar characteristics during high-g launching situations. In additions to having benefits of rear drag shocks when needed, DSC also commands the front dampers to assist the rear by using front rebound damping to "buffer" rear compression movement. These are great features for circuit racing with standing starts and for autocross, having drag shocks for launch, road course shock for cornering, and bump detection for comfort- best of three worlds. These are among many features of the DSC, and these commands are written in the DSC calibration for anyone interested to see it.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:44 PM
rodney2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ What ever happened to this? https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9441...nt-thread.html
Old 10-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Are the actual PASM dampers (part numbers) identical between a 991.2 base, S, and GTS, and the 'matching' of the spring rates to damper tuning 100% software?

If so, would interchanging OEM springs between the different trim levels AND having matching damper rates on a DSC equipped car be as simple as loading the appropriate map after a spring change? eg: swap on GTS springs on a base car, then load the DSC GTS map, and no need for damper changes to have matched shocks?

Just trying to understand this a bit better...
Another great question today! Factory PASM dampers do have different part numbers between models and options. Given a fixed value static electronic command sent to all the different part number dampers of course the damping force will be different for each. DSC commands are dynamic based on input data at 200hz(200x per second), the commands are never fixed nor static(expect for when the car is not in motion), since the targeted damping force is a moving target, minor differences in static damper valving(for each part number) become unimportant and almost non-perceivable. Using heavy braking as an example, if one part # damper is 10% stiffer than another damper with a different part # to a specific command value, but with DSC during heavy braking its commanding front dampers to add 70% to reduce front dive, the static difference of 10% is becomes overshadowed.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:04 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

I just installed a V2 unit into my 991.1 C2S with new B16 damptronics. I live in San Francisco with HORRIBLE streets and I can drive around in Sport Mode with ZERO problems! It's a night and day difference between my Stock PASM controller and the DSC unit. Previous to installing the DSC the car felt much too stiff. Happy to demo the car for local folks! Also the DSC took some of the buzz out of the Function First Transmission Mount I installed.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodney2
Thanks for bringing this up. Been fixed!

Affected vehicles:
991.2 cars that are factory optioned with Sunroof and FAL(Front Axle Lift)

Symptom:
991.2 cars that are factory optioned with Sunroof and FAL(Front Axle Lift), with DSC installed, error message pops up when either options were activated.

Cause:
The error message occurred because these two optional equipment on .2 cars were put on the same comm line as the one of inputs of the DSC which caused a momentarily comm disruption when the button is pushed to activate these options. The DSC commands to the dampers were not affected.

Fix:
Our 991.2 development car did not have either options so we brought in a car with both options to isolate the comm disruption. Once the code was isolated we changed the DSC comm frequency by one digit and no more error message. The fix has been implemented on all 991.2 DSC as of 08.20.2018.
All 991.2 DSC controllers sold prior to 08.20.2018 can be sent in for the fix at no charge.

The above info only applies to 991.2 cars with Sunroof and FAL. 991.1 cars are completely immune.
The following users liked this post:
leonidas1911 (04-25-2023)
Old 10-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

No problem installing it in 991.2 cabrios ?
Old 10-07-2018, 09:14 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I just installed a V2 unit into my 991.1 C2S with new B16 damptronics. I live in San Francisco with HORRIBLE streets and I can drive around in Sport Mode with ZERO problems! It's a night and day difference between my Stock PASM controller and the DSC unit. Previous to installing the DSC the car felt much too stiff. Happy to demo the car for local folks! Also the DSC took some of the buzz out of the Function First Transmission Mount I installed.
An interesting point which made me think about another difference that DSC made to my 991.2 TTS. On cars equipped with PDM (Dynamic engine mounts) the stock PASM module stiffens up the mounts in Sport mode. That has benefits to stability when driven hard but it does tend to make shifts somewhat jerky when the car is not driven hard (the PDK and throttle tuning in Sport+ favors higher RPM shifts and greater throttle openings that aren't always practical or legal on the street).

The result is that PASM Sport mode was not very smooth during normal street driving. I tolerated this when alone but was always slightly embarrassed by the jerkiness and as a result, rarely used PASM Sport mode for normal street driving with a passenger - the car often felt like I was driving a manual gearbox and not very good at rev matching on shifts. The DSC module controls not only the shocks but also the PDM mounts and the initial DSC Sport mode seems to start out with slightly softer engine mount settings when compared to the stock PASM controller (and relies on other inputs before really stiffening up the mounts). The result is smoother shifts in DSC Sport compared to PASM Sport (there's a little greater bit of forgiveness from the mounts) unless you really start pushing the car. It's just another way that DSC makes the car more "comfortable" for normal street driving without losing its "edge" during performance driving.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:28 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by JR956678
An interesting point which made me think about another difference that DSC made to my 991.2 TTS. On cars equipped with PDM (Dynamic engine mounts) the stock PASM module stiffens up the mounts in Sport mode. That has benefits to stability when driven hard but it does tend to make shifts somewhat jerky when the car is not driven hard (the PDK and throttle tuning in Sport+ favors higher RPM shifts and greater throttle openings that aren't always practical or legal on the street).

The result is that PASM Sport mode was not very smooth during normal street driving. I tolerated this when alone but was always slightly embarrassed by the jerkiness and as a result, rarely used PASM Sport mode for normal street driving with a passenger - the car often felt like I was driving a manual gearbox and not very good at rev matching on shifts. The DSC module controls not only the shocks but also the PDM mounts and the initial DSC Sport mode seems to start out with slightly softer engine mount settings when compared to the stock PASM controller (and relies on other inputs before really stiffening up the mounts). The result is smoother shifts in DSC Sport compared to PASM Sport (there's a little greater bit of forgiveness from the mounts) unless you really start pushing the car. It's just another way that DSC makes the car more "comfortable" for normal street driving without losing its "edge" during performance driving.
One for Tom @ TPC: Curious to hear more about how DSC may or may not harness the active mounts in cars with the option. Does it have to be configured to do so, or does it recognize the mounts and integrate them?
Old 10-07-2018, 04:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I track with some guys at Sebring that have DSC....I’ve never heard 1 bad thing about this mod....commentary like it’s night and day improvement is what I typically hear.

I dont have DSC in my 2017 GTS but wish I did.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

No issues with codes or issues with the dealers if you service there?
Any reason for them to want to give the warranty shuffle.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:45 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts

I have the DSC V3. Prior to fitting it, I could not use Sport mode around my streets as they are too bumpy and the car was skippy in the stiff mode. So the only time I used sport was on the track.

After DSC, I am in Sport all the time. It is smoother than the old sport but far superior in handling. Originally, when first installed I could feel both were smotther and better. Since I have had some custom mapping done : ) and I don't use normal mode anymore. I love the handling so much with the Sport and it is street able now. Not skipping at all.

But the front springs let us down on a GTS for the track. The more I push the car, the more evident it is that 33N/mm is not enough on the front, for the track.

P.S. I love that DSC remembers what mode you were in. So it doesn't keep going back to soft mode. It remains where you leave it, which for me is Sport.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I track with some guys at Sebring that have DSC....I’ve never heard 1 bad thing about this mod....commentary like it’s night and day improvement is what I typically hear.

I dont have DSC in my 2017 GTS but wish I did.
We can certainly help with that.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
No issues with codes or issues with the dealers if you service there?
Any reason for them to want to give the warranty shuffle.
The official answers is this is an aftermarket product. Like many other aftermarket products, a dealer or the car maker can deny a warranty claim if they chose to.

Installed properly and there's no error codes(example, not engaging the electrical connector all the way will trigger error code). Dealers can find that the PASM module was changed if they are specifically looking for it, same applies for many other aftermarket items. For maintenance services and unrelated warranty repairs chances good are they won't be specially looking for it. And DSC can be easily swapped out.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Thanks Tom. I have a 2014 991.1 TTS. What model would I be looking for, the V3? And have you had the DSC out long enough to have good feedback on any long term issues?
sal
Old 10-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I have the DSC V3. Prior to fitting it, I could not use Sport mode around my streets as they are too bumpy and the car was skippy in the stiff mode. So the only time I used sport was on the track.

After DSC, I am in Sport all the time. It is smoother than the old sport but far superior in handling. Originally, when first installed I could feel both were smotther and better. Since I have had some custom mapping done : ) and I don't use normal mode anymore. I love the handling so much with the Sport and it is street able now. Not skipping at all.

But the front springs let us down on a GTS for the track. The more I push the car, the more evident it is that 33N/mm is not enough on the front, for the track.

P.S. I love that DSC remembers what mode you were in. So it doesn't keep going back to soft mode. It remains where you leave it, which for me is Sport.
Thank you for your feedback.
DSC commands the factory electronic dampers to their full performance potential, which makes a significant improvement, but there's a point at which a driver may want his car's setup be a more track oriented, in which case the spring rates can be increased to near that of a GT3 at 50N/mm front and 110N/mm rear, or even higher at 70N/mm front, and 130N/mm rear.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
dkfx (11-28-2020), TNturboS (08-20-2021)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module