Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Failure & Outcome Story

Old 10-05-2018, 12:46 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Why not drive it everyday? It's a joy I am on my 4th 911 and they all have been my DDs. No PDK faults, however my previous 3 all where manuals.
I do if it's not raining, because I'm retired and don't have to deal with daily commute and parking outdoors every day. I like mine clean, so try to limit myself to sunny day blasts. I usually use the wife's beater (Lexus RX350) on rainy days and dining out where I might have a beer of glass of wine. Porsches incite the driver to enjoy and a beer or two might heighten that. And Porsches are cop magnets. I try to keep my license clean. And i ship it North and South for our annual snowbird migrations. So i drive my Porsches 3-5 k mi/year. That makes them less expensive to own and maintain.
This is my 10th Porsche since 1970. ​​​​​​Im a PCA guy for life. For me it's a toy, a hobby, and a passion. Different strokes for different folks!

As for the PDK, my wife thinks it's an automatic and glad to know she can drive it if needed I don't tell her that it's actually a manual with paddle shifters and electric clutches. I'm a left-brained engineer. She's right-brained. That would be too much for her to deal with.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:55 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
I do if it's not raining, because I'm retired and don't have to deal with daily commute and parking outdoors every day. I like mine clean, so try to limit myself to sunny day blasts. I usually use the wife's beater (Lexus RX350) on rainy days and dining out where I might have a beer of glass of wine. Porsches incite the driver to enjoy and a beer or two might heighten that. And Porsches are cop magnets. I try to keep my license clean. And i ship it North and South for our annual snowbird migrations. So i drive my Porsches 3-5 k mi/year. That makes them less expensive to own and maintain.
This is my 10th Porsche since 1970. ​​​​​​Im a PCA guy for life. For me it's a toy, a hobby, and a passion. Different strokes for different folks!
Awesome. That is a nice way to be. I aspire to that in the future.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:34 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I usually use the wife's beater (Lexus RX350) on rainy days and dining out where I might have a beer of glass of wine...So i drive my Porsches 3-5 k mi/year. For me it's a toy, a hobby, and a passion. Different strokes for different folks!

As for the PDK, my wife thinks it's an automatic and glad to know she can drive it if needed I don't tell her that it's actually a manual with paddle shifters and electric clutches. I'm a left-brained engineer. She's right-brained. That would be too much for her to deal with.
Almost agreed with you. But Lexus RX350? Should get a CD to tow your 991 to your snowbird spots. Just saying!

Nice way to pass retirement time 😉
Old 10-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

How do I turn off the auto coast feature? Do I even need to as I always drive in Sport or Sport+?
Old 10-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
How do I turn off the auto coast feature? Do I even need to as I always drive in Sport or Sport+?
It's enabled/disabled in conjunction with the Auto Start/Stop button. Just keep Auto Start/Stop disabled and it disables the Auto Coast feature. You can test it yourself, you can feel the difference when coasting. Feels like it's in neutral.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Or you can turn PSM off ;-)
Old 10-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice way of going about your life! Makes full sense. Enjoy your P-miles!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:24 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I took my vehicle in for PCA inspection at my local dealership. They found a PDK leak in my 991.1 S..... my heart almost skipped a beat... the consultant had his I’m sorry to give you horrible news tone..... and than I shouted, I still have warranty!!!, hell ya, I’ll do the brake flush (needed) and lets get this taken care of........

i willl not own this car out of warranty.

ill update on progress of what leak results in
Old 10-06-2018, 12:33 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
I took my vehicle in for PCA inspection at my local dealership. They found a PDK leak in my 991.1 S..... my heart almost skipped a beat... the consultant had his I’m sorry to give you horrible news tone..... and than I shouted, I still have warranty!!!, hell ya, I’ll do the brake flush (needed) and lets get this taken care of........

This is getting ridiculous. The repair cost for a leaky PDK seal is just not right. Glad to hear you were under warranty.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

What's your mileage?
Old 10-06-2018, 11:49 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
What's your mileage?
around 28;500ish
Old 10-06-2018, 11:53 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
Yes turn that damn Auto Stop off by pushing the button. But be sure to store this with the "Key" "Set" function, for each key you want to do that with. Press "Key" then "Set" when you have everything the way you want it. Then get out and press Lock on the key to finish the Key Set memory locking. Do this for each key, the way you want each of them set. It's easy, and that's it!!

Last edited by PCA1983; 10-25-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

around 28;500ish
My 2012 GTS I had was PDK and developed a small leak at the gasket/seal. I had around 21k miles on it...lucky still under warranty as Porsche doesn’t allow gasket seal repair they just require the whole PDK to be replaced. At that time in 2015 saved me $18k.

Yes like you I’ll never own these cars outside of warranty nor will I do any engine mods ECU flashing and void warranty on these cars. That $1200 ECU flash for a little more power could cost you $20k plus.

Last edited by mdrums; 10-07-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,956 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Good advice with keeping these cars under warranty. I have a DSG S4, and a PDK 911. 2k miles before the warranty was out on my S4, the transmission failed and required full replacement, luckily under Fidelity Warranty which they fully covered besides the $250 deductible. 4-5 weeks later, I finally got my car back. Luckily the transmission comes with a 1 year/12k mile warranty but I don't have much faith in dual clutches after my experience. In a couple of years, I will probably trade the 911 in on a 6 speed Porsche. In the mean time, it is under CPO and when that runs out, a Fidelity powertrain warranty will be added.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:15 AM
Jasonpdx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You all are giving me the heebie jeebies about my PDK in my 2012.5. I have another year of CPO, so there is that. Almost makes me want to sell my car and move to the 996TT. Yikes!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PDK Failure & Outcome Story