Notices
Sponsored by:

PDK Failure & Outcome Story

Old 09-28-2018, 04:11 PM
aCayenneFan
User

Originally Posted by justabout View Post
Porsche pretty much decides the operational lifetime of your vehicle through the cost to repair. Unless your car is relatively new or is special, older vehicles will be scrapped due to economics. I recalled them claiming 70% of vehicles they made are still operational. Not sure how much longer that will hold. Looking on the bright side, used parts should be plentiful.
Soo true. Engine grenading used to be the tipping point. Now, it seems that a lot of smaller items (PDK, RAS, PASM, etc.) are adding up to the same tipping point as what was previously the case with engine grenading.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Bemo
User

We need a Fair Repair Act (I.e. Right to Repair) to be passed in all 50 states...and our own #MeToo movement for blown transmissions and motors.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:51 PM
verstraete
User

Originally Posted by PsychicDreamer View Post
Limegreen,

I agree with your post. I feel modern 911's are becoming so over designed - the idea of keeping them for 10 years plus seems impossible.

Ten years may be possible with an extended warranty, but not longer. I have a 2017 991.2 S purchased in 2016 which I drive a few thousand miles per year. I will either trade it in before the warranty expires in 2020, or purchase the most comprehensive extended warranty available that covers an additional six years. Before that warranty expires, maybe long before it expires, the car goes. I strongly suspect that after ten years, not only will out of warranty repair costs become prohibitive, but some components and major assemblies, particularly those outsourced by Porsche, will no longer be available. Try to purchase parts for a ten year old piece of electronics equipment.

I have another possible concern with keeping a contemporary, over-complicated 911 too long. Due to increasing maintenance costs and likely unavailable replacement parts, depreciation may actually accelerate, rather than slowing down as in the past, as the car reaches the end of its effective economic life.

Last edited by verstraete; 09-28-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:24 PM
neil.schneider
User

In general Porsche’s have always been fairly robust. I have owned five so far and all out of warranty. I have only had minor problems. I am hopeful that my latest purchase will be the same since I am now out of warranty. I have not purchased an extended warranty as yet. My last car had an airbag warning issue. Even though the car was out of warranty Porsche covered 75% of the repair. Other than that I have never had any issues with any of my five cars. I hope I’m not jinxing myself.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:42 PM
Noah Fect
Addict
Rennlist Member

The most informative statistic, and the only one that could possibly be compiled by someone not employed by Porsche, would be a plot of extended-warranty prices normalized against MSRP over the last decade or so.

If PDK failures are occurring after factory warranty expiration at a ruinously-high rate and not being adequately addressed through goodwill, that will be reflected in extended-warranty prices. If it ever became a real problem, aftermarket companies would simply stop offering coverage on modern Porsches.

In other words, they are not going to sell you 3 years of coverage for $5000 if they think there's a 25% chance of a $20K repair bill in that period. My guess is they want the odds in their favor by 5x or more.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:01 PM
zip
User

Just saw this thread. And I just got my 2014 base Cayman back from the dealer after a complete PDK and Transmission Control Unit replacement at 45K miles. Car just started dropping out of gear and going into limp mode. My Service Adviser went to bat for me, and Porsche picked up most of it. I ended up shelling out just under $4K of a $16K bill. Not real happy, but it could have been much worse. If you want the gory details read this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-to-drive.html
Old 09-28-2018, 11:50 PM
PsychicDreamer
User

Originally Posted by Noah Fect View Post
The most informative statistic, and the only one that could possibly be compiled by someone not employed by Porsche, would be a plot of extended-warranty prices normalized against MSRP over the last decade or so.

If PDK failures are occurring after factory warranty expiration at a ruinously-high rate and not being adequately addressed through goodwill, that will be reflected in extended-warranty prices. If it ever became a real problem, aftermarket companies would simply stop offering coverage on modern Porsches.

In other words, they are not going to sell you 3 years of coverage for $5000 if they think there's a 25% chance of a $20K repair bill in that period. My guess is they want the odds in their favor by 5x or more.
Noah,

You may have just found the real reason why PCNA is picking-up all these out-of-warranty PDK failure bills.

Man, I thought they did it because they liked me...
Old 09-30-2018, 01:29 AM
aCayenneFan
User

Originally Posted by Noah Fect View Post

Soo true. I was briefly in the Range Rover market back in the 2008 timeframe. One look at the price ($10K (!!!)) of an extended warranty told me all I needed to know about the reliability of the RR. Dealers were really dealing during the recession, but the pricing of the extended warranty told me to look elsewhere.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:04 PM
whiteducktail
User

Another possible PDK failure just happened today. It didn't happen to my car, but to another car that looks just like mine.

This afternoon, I was driving my 991 to the store, and came upon another 991 stuck in the far right lane of a busy road. He was stuck in the lane because he couldn't move his car and there is no shoulder there, anyway. I asked the guy what happened, and he said he just put his car into Sport + before getting ready for the hill ahead of us, and his car suddenly went into Neutral and no longer had any forward or reverse gears. I'm not sure if Park still worked. I believe he said the dash had an error light related to the differential, and the car made no unusual noise that he could hear during the failure. His car is a 2016 GTS with 21,000 miles on it. He had to call a tow truck to bring his car to the dealership.

My stomach sank when he told me it was a transmission problem.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:09 PM
dkhm3
User

man, reading through threads like these make me wonder about my 911 on order ... sigh.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:37 PM
PorscheSmith
User

Interesting discussion going on in the DE and racing forum about PDK reliability:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...the-track.html

What I found interesting is the 13-16k replacement cost for a 09 C4s. Someone else mentioned that a web search found PDK replacements for 8.5k. Big differences in pricing compared to the 20k+ price tag quoted in this discussion.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:51 PM
.2PDK
User

Originally Posted by whiteducktail View Post

My stomach sank when he told me it was a transmission problem.
They're dropping like flies...
Old 10-02-2018, 01:56 AM
Gasol1
User

Thank you for sharing your story. I love my 991.2 C4....that said I experienced a similar warning shortly after getting my car. A reprogram of the transmission seems to have fixed it as I havenít had an issue since then with more than 18 months having passed. I did have all sorts of paint issues with etching from parking outdoors. Moe at Glistening Perfection helped me out but even so it required a lot of work. The graphite blue is very soft.

Makes me lean towards trading in before the warranty expires even though Iím sub 10k miles now. So many nice cars out there a little variety couldnít hurt...
Old 10-02-2018, 02:08 AM
aCayenneFan
User

Originally Posted by Gasol1 View Post
Thank you for sharing your story. I love my 991.2 C4....that said I experienced a similar warning shortly after getting my car. A reprogram of the transmission seems to have fixed it as I havenít had an issue since then with more than 18 months having passed. I did have all sorts of paint issues with etching from parking outdoors. Moe at Glistening Perfection helped me out but even so it required a lot of work. The graphite blue is very soft.

All paint these days is soft. Water-based paints (low VOC) trade hardness for low VOCs.
Makes me lean towards trading in before the warranty expires even though Iím sub 10k miles now. So many nice cars out there a little variety couldnít hurt...
Having to trade prematurely due to fear of mechanical problems really sucks. Any reason you haven't considered CPOing the car just before original warranty is up? Or, purchasing an extended warranty? 10K miles is barely broken-in.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:10 AM
aCayenneFan
User

Originally Posted by PorscheSmith View Post
Interesting discussion going on in the DE and racing forum about PDK reliability:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...the-track.html

What I found interesting is the 13-16k replacement cost for a 09 C4s. Someone else mentioned that a web search found PDK replacements for 8.5k. Big differences in pricing compared to the 20k+ price tag quoted in this discussion.
Dealer + Porsche tax?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: