Sponsored by:

PDK Failure & Outcome Story

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 06:00 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Monte
I have a Cpo 2016. Is the extended warranty purchased from Porsche and can it be stacked on top of a Cpo warranty after it runs up? This type of stuff worries me.
Thru Fidelity it will extend from the warranty contract date. I was just quoted a Premium Care policy from them for about $4525 4/48k.

Last edited by AAK GTS; 09-27-2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Amount and insurance term
Old 09-26-2018, 07:27 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Raises hand as another failed (previous) PDK owner, the car was within its factory warranty when it occurred. The car was a 2013 Carrera S with 13k miles, no advanced warning, stopped for a coffee, got back in the car, no go. The bill to the dealership was around $11k. My dealership was easy to work with, but disclosing the problem when selling the car wasn’t a helper.

Happy to to hear things worked out for you.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:47 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychicDreamer
I’m sharing my PDK failure experience in the hopes some of you will keep your 991 PDK drivetrain under warranty at all times. Do not let it lapse for any reason.

Last month, my car was driving fine. No issues. When all of a sudden, I got a PDK failure warning light on my dash. No reverse. And only 2, 4, & 6 gears were available.

I happened to be near Porsche Irvine, CA when it happened, so I pulled in.

A Porsche Tech was hanging out and noticed my car. I showed him the issue and without blinking and eye said the PDK Transmission will need to be replaced.

The cost? About $20,000 to $25,000. And, this was just the beginning.

My car had just passed the 50,000 mile mark, so I was out of warranty.

If you have this error, ensure your dealer verifies the following before replacing the entire transmission.

01 Loose CV Joint(s)
02 Verify the Battery is Not Bad
03 Verify the Change Over Valve (COV) for the Transmission Fluid Cooling
04 Recalibrate the PDK System
05 Replace the PDK Control Unit & Recalibrate the System
06 Dirty or Low Transmission Fluid/Oil
07 Replace the Valve Body

Now let me set your expectations. None of this will work.

You’re most-likely going to need a full PDK Transmission replacement. And, if you did some of this work beforehand, the bill is much higher than $25,000. The Valve Body replacement is over $4,000 on its own.

HOW DID PORSCHE HANDLE MY ISSUE?

Here’s a little secret, the Porsche Service Advisor at the dealership holds all the keys. Don’t think they don’t. They make the call on who’s paying for it. Why? Because only the Porsche Service Advisor can request “goodwill” to PTECH and PCNA.

So, if you’re having a serious service issue – be very nice to your local Porsche Service Advisor at the dealership. I actually noticed a Porsche owner bringing my Service Advisor lunch!

FYI, calling PCNA and speaking to a Customer Service person does nothing.

I want to thank Victor Morillo-Delerme at Porsche Irvine for helping me through this. He fought for me and my outcome was acceptable.

Also, I must say that PCNA handled this right. They listened to my Service Advisor and took care of us. Staring down a $29,000+ service bill is not something you want to live through.

Of course, if I was under warranty – this would not be an issue.

I hope this story helps fellow Rennlisters and inspires you to at least buy a drivetrain warranty for your PDK cars.

My Details:

2014 991S PDK – $134,000 sticker. This was my fourth 911.
Never tracked. It’s a commuter car.
I used the “coasting feature” on my PDK every day. I’m no longer going to do that.
When the error happened, I had no warning. No noise. Nothing.
I feel Porsche has an issue with PDK.
I feel PCNA should put a separate warranty on PDK – maybe 5-years unlimited mileage?
This was my first PDK car.
It took Porsche Irvine about 2 days to replace the PDK transmission.
why do you think the coast feature had anything to do with the issue?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:35 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Thanks for sharing! Why won't you use the coasting feature anymore? Did that contribute to the failure somehow ?
I'm not sure why an expensive PDK Transmission - where the first service is not until 120,000 miles - would suddenly and completely die.

My only thought is that using the coasting feature everyday might have something to do with it.

I may be wrong, but I'm quite taken-back that such a high-performance transmission - could just break with minor use.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:38 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the coasting feature?
The PDK "coasting feature" is actually really great. When not in Sport Mode - and in automatic mode - the transmission will enter neutral almost every time you let your foot off the gas pedal.

It may not seem like much, but when you're commuting on the 405 freeway everyday - I've been able to get over 30 mpg when in this mode.

But, I always wondered if it's safe for PDK....
Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by _RS_
Thanks for taking the time to write this up, Psychic. I have a regular service appointment with Victor this week, good to hear the props for him and that dealer.
_RS_

Porsche Irvine is amazing. It's brand new. A sister dealership to Porsche Newport Beach.

They're service bays are awesome.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:39 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Glad it worked out for you....I had a 2012 997 GTS once and PDK developed a tiny small leak. I would never had noticed it but i was under the car cleaning the suspension, chassis and rear axels and notice a tiny oil stain. Took it to the dealer and a seal from PDK to rear housing was leaking a tiny bit. You can’t replace the gasket seal..Porsche makes you replace the whole PDK transmission!!! Dealer gave me a rash of crap because I tracked the car but after arguing for a few days PCNA did it all under warranty.

Last edited by mdrums; 09-27-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:49 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Well, sounds like I need to start saving for that Fidelity Platinum warranty I was quoted a while back.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:56 PM
sp1ke4
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This exact thing just happened to me about a month ago on my 2018 c2. Dealer replaced the valve body and so far no more issues. Based on what I’ve read it sounds like it’s going to happen again, just a matter of when.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:41 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

This stuff is nuts. These cars are too complex.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (03-01-2021)
Old 09-27-2018, 03:00 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

without actually doing the search, does anyone know if this pdk issue is across the Porsche line? Are Macans, Panameras, Cayman's, etc all having sporadic failures?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:01 AM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Well, sounds like I need to start saving for that Fidelity Platinum warranty I was quoted a while back.
I was just quoted $4525 4yrs/48k miles. What were you quoted? Thinking of shopping the dealers too. My factory warranty is good till 8/2019.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:28 AM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
without actually doing the search, does anyone know if this pdk issue is across the Porsche line? Are Macans, Panameras, Cayman's, etc all having sporadic failures?
Ive seen similar threads in the macan forum.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:34 AM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sp1ke4
This exact thing just happened to me about a month ago on my 2018 c2. Dealer replaced the valve body and so far no more issues. Based on what I’ve read it sounds like it’s going to happen again, just a matter of when.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9879...-issues-3.html
Old 09-27-2018, 01:18 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychicDreamer
I’m sharing my PDK failure experience in the hopes some of you will keep your 991 PDK drivetrain under warranty at all times. Do not let it lapse for any reason.

Last month, my car was driving fine. No issues. When all of a sudden, I got a PDK failure warning light on my dash. No reverse. And only 2, 4, & 6 gears were available.

I happened to be near Porsche Irvine, CA when it happened, so I pulled in.

A Porsche Tech was hanging out and noticed my car. I showed him the issue and without blinking and eye said the PDK Transmission will need to be replaced.

The cost? About $20,000 to $25,000. And, this was just the beginning.

Same thing here. Just it back from my PDK replacement. I had CPO coverage. The service advisor told me that my out of pocket would have been $22,000 otherwise.

33k on the odometer.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure & Outcome Story