Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING CENTRELOCKS & SAFETY

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 04:00 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by goldberg
Its not cheap at all having to replace all the hubs and components.
Here in Australia is about an $9k exercise with labour.
Over hyped. They are a piece of cake to take on and off. Its one Nut per wheels. You just need a big mother of a breaker bar $89 AUD and a bigger mother of a torque wrench. $750 AUD.

I was told all sorts of horror stories that the wrench was $9,000. And the grease was $2,000. Utter rubbish. Watched them take them off and on. Piece of cake. Nothing special at all.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
Not sure how the CL makes them more money. It’s standard at no cost on the GT, TT and GTS models.
Ummm... the cost of the CL is one of the several reasons the GTS base price is $15,600 higher than that of an S, and the other models mentioned more than that of course.
TANSTAAFL.

Last edited by StormRune; 09-21-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I had Center Locks on my 2012 GTS.....never again! I had proper documentation on them, all the right tools. They are a major hassle and expense.

My 2017 GTS is 5 bolts....so so much better!

Center Locks really really are a pain...totally suck.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:05 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I would try to play your cards right and not tell them that an indy shop made this discovery.. Bring in the car for some "work" or to check some "concern" you have and let them make the discovery.

Good luck.
Agree
Old 09-21-2018, 03:33 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Ummm... the cost of the CL is one of the several reasons the GTS base price is $15,600 higher than that of an S, and the other models mentioned more than that of course.
TANSTAAFL.
Actually if you price it out the GTS is CHEAPER than an S equipped with the same options BEFORE even considering CL wheels.......

Power kit is $12k
sport Chrono is 2k
sport exhausts 3k
sport design front is 3k
tinted tails is 600
sport design mirrors is 600
spasm is 800
(above in USD)

I am aware there are also “packages” but however you slice it the GTS is the cheaper option...

CL wheels are ~$4500 CAD a piece up here in Canada.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:32 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear

Actually if you price it out the GTS is CHEAPER than an S equipped with the same options BEFORE even considering CL wheels.......

Power kit is $12k
sport Chrono is 2k
sport exhausts 3k
sport design front is 3k
tinted tails is 600
sport design mirrors is 600
spasm is 800
(above in USD)

I am aware there are also “packages” but however you slice it the GTS is the cheaper option...

CL wheels are ~$4500 CAD a piece up here in Canada.

Edited for a clearer response:

All I said that the cost of the centerlocks contribute to the cost of the GTS package and you respond with a long explanation of why the GTS package is a cost-effective package. I wasn't even arguing that. (And you forgot to mention that it is a truly special package since it offers the 2WD wide-body option you can't get on an non-GT car).

But the centerlocks, minus the cost of the 5 lug wheels they replace, will certainly contribute to the overall package cost. They aren't "free" unless you choosing to declare that out of that long list of items they are the free thing. They do look great though!

I don't even know why I cluttered OP's thread with these hijacked responses anyway. Sorry OP. Very nice of you to post that doc!

Last edited by StormRune; 09-21-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:54 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

My TTS has PCCB and 5 lug. As much as I like the look of CL's I am so happy when I want to remove and clean my wheels all I need is my trusty torque wrench to make sure all is good.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
My TTS has PCCB and 5 lug. As much as I like the look of CL's I am so happy when I want to remove and clean my wheels all I need is my trusty torque wrench to make sure all is good.
Yep nice! TTS with PCCBband 5 lugs... very well done!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have changed mine at least ten times back and forth this year now, and I can do it almost as quickly as 5 bolt now. The biggest time consumer is loosening and retorquing the wheel. I love not having to re-torque the wheels all the time at the track. Just one less thing to worry about.

** I used to have difficulty getting the lock to engage fully at the end, but I found using a 1/2 ratchet extension and hand twisting a little bit (to create friction) and pulling back engages the lock fully. The first few times I had a hell of a time getting the locks out - and thus I hated CL's for the first few times.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:32 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skru_fase
I have changed mine at least ten times back and forth this year now, and I can do it almost as quickly as 5 bolt now. The biggest time consumer is loosening and retorquing the wheel. I love not having to re-torque the wheels all the time at the track. Just one less thing to worry about.

** I used to have difficulty getting the lock to engage fully at the end, but I found using a 1/2 ratchet extension and hand twisting a little bit (to create friction) and pulling back engages the lock fully. The first few times I had a hell of a time getting the locks out - and thus I hated CL's for the first few times.
+1. I was worried about it at the outset too, but with the right tools and jackstands it just isn't a big deal.

I've taken all four off and put them back on at least three times now with no issues.

The CL wheels are the thing people compliment most about the car. And I agree with them! Random strangers walk up to the car complimenting the wheels.

Getting the tires changed could be a PITA, but my thought is to take the wheels to the tire shop off the car. I've always done that with my motorcycle in any event.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:47 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I just shake my head when people buy a car with CL wheels and then complain about them. The problem is not the wheels.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:49 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

I can see how centerlock wheels could be problematic if you were driving far from home or in a very rural area and got a flat tire. Other than that, I find them to be easier than 5-lugs. I change my wheels in my garage every fall and every spring. It’s easy. My independent mechanic has no problem dealing with centerlocks. Discount tire by my house handles centerlocks with no problem. I started a thread in the Turbo forum when I changed to my winter wheels for the first time. I had heard all the horror stories, and I was shocked at how easy it was.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I can see how centerlock wheels could be problematic if you were driving far from home or in a very rural area and got a flat tire. Other than that, I find them to be easier than 5-lugs. I change my wheels in my garage every fall and every spring. It’s easy. My independent mechanic has no problem dealing with centerlocks. Discount tire by my house handles centerlocks with no problem. I started a thread in the Turbo forum when I changed to my winter wheels for the first time. I had heard all the horror stories, and I was shocked at how easy it was.
That's interesting that there are Discount Tire locations that can handle them. My local Discount Tire gets a lot of high end and exotic cars because of the area, so they have the nice equipment. If it's at all a possibility that they could handle centerlocks I need to check back in and see if things have (or could) change.
​​​​
Old 09-23-2018, 12:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

I know that my independent Porsche mechanic/tuner sends all their cars to this Discount Tire location. They sell quite a few wheels. Maybe this was the reason that this Discount Tire decided to get the tools for centerlocks. The thing that worries me the most about wheel changes is the potential for damage to the PCCB rotors. I want a shop that understands the cost and understands how to deal with them.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:45 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I just shake my head when people buy a car with CL wheels and then complain about them. The problem is not the wheels.

This

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING CENTRELOCKS & SAFETY