Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Rates - What was Porsche thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 05:45 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I suppose this is probably the only forum where a stock 911 would be considered a "floaty boat", but it's a fun analogy, so kudos to you!
Across the Porsche line, the GTS trim is the daily driver, but still okay to toss around in the canyons. It's way too soft for serious track use. For the occasional track weekend, still fun of course. I'll track anything, including airport rental Ford Focus. Anyway, a good starting point is to double the spring rates for track use on street tires; not Porsche specific, just a general rule of thumb in turning a street friendly car into more of a track car. Stepping up to R-comp track slicks, even higher spring rate. Of course, matching dampers required. Note that the GT Porsche cars have way more spring rate than the street friendly trims, in that 2x-3x range, as they are track focused.

Last edited by spdracerut; 12-05-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:50 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Across the Porsche line, the GTS trim is the daily driver, but still okay to toss around in the canyons. It's way too soft for serious track use. For the occasional track weekend, still fun of course. I'll track anything, including airport rental Ford Focus. Anyway, a good starting point is to double the spring rates for track use on street tires; not Porsche specific, just a general rule of thumb in turning a street friendly car into more of a track car. Stepping up to R-comp track slicks, even higher spring rate. Of course, matching dampers required. Note that the GT Porsche cars have way more spring rate than the street friendly trims, in that 2x-3x range, as they are track focused.
So, what exactly would doubling the spring rate accomplish: a stiffer suspension, and stiffer ride? And that accomplishes what exactly: less compression of the suspension when cornering, so the suspension doesn't bottom out?
Old 12-05-2020, 05:51 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0

BrownBo’s

So anyone that says the stock 350 fr and 330 rear is enough, aren’t quite up to hard track level yet.

And yes i need new rotors. Those were brembo type 3. The pattern is almost gone.
Wow, how much run time did you get out of the rotors?
Old 12-05-2020, 05:52 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WP0
So, what exactly would doubling the spring rate accomplish: a stiffer suspension, and stiffer ride? And that accomplishes what exactly: less compression of the suspension when cornering, so the suspension doesn't bottom out?
Much faster transients. Think jet fighter vs. Boeing 747. A visual reference. Granted, different generation Miatas, but you can tell the newer Miata is on an aftermarket track suspension setup that is much stiffer.

Last edited by spdracerut; 12-05-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:18 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Wow, how much run time did you get out of the rotors?
Half the original FM1000 and 3 sets of ME20 pads. Just over a year.

Originally Posted by WP0
Going cheap, but just adding stiffer springs, without matching the valving will destroy your ride. Matching the valving and adding DSC module, my car is now more comfotable on the street with the higher 100 upfront than it was with the 75 up front. Stock is 33 up front for your info.

rear stock is a lot stiffer than others it is 108. GT3 is 120 and GT3-RS is 160.

I went for 150 in rear with the 75 in front. Now i run 100/150 wich is basiclaly GT3-RS 100/160
Old 12-06-2020, 12:03 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Much faster transients. Think jet fighter vs. Boeing 747. A visual reference. Granted, different generation Miatas, but you can tell the newer Miata is on an aftermarket track suspension setup that is much stiffer.

https://youtu.be/njimEf50dFM

Video provides a great visual of the potential performance difference between a softer suspension and a firmer suspension, which I suppose is mostly related to the spring rates and dampers. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Spring Rates - What was Porsche thinking?