Winter wheels on custom order 991.2 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:15 PM
eastsideguy75
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter wheels on custom order 991.2 C4S

Hi folks,

I have a custom order about to lock - is there any way to choose the winter wheels (20x8.5 on the front, 20x11" on the rear) instead of the summer wheels (20x8.5 front, 20x11.5" rear)?

The car should be here in December. I want to buy a different wheel set for summer driving (something more lightweight).

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2018, 07:08 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

There is not. I actually asked if I could CXX winter wheels and tires and PCNA told me I can just buy them from techequipment.

That being said, there is no reason not to fit winter tires to your existing wheels and fit the tires that come on the car to new wheels (or sell them). Or just sell the whole set wheels and tires as new take offs and buy both sets winter and summer as you see fit.

If you do decide to keep your stock wheels, the rears are 11.5in wide which means you either need to find and run 305 width tires or stretch a 295 to fit. If you search snow tires you will find a thread from me. I ended up getting OZ wheels with 11in rear with 295, but had I not, I would have run sottozero 3 (I think) in 305 on the back and sottozero 2 on the front. By now there may be a full set of front and rear sottozero 3.

Oh, and by the way, it is only the rear wheels that are different in the winter wheel set. Fronts are the same.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:00 AM
eastsideguy75
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi evilfij,

Thank you for the elaborate answer!

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...ter-sottozero3 is not yet offered in 245/35R20 (for the front wheels). Maybe 255 could be used, with 8.5 front rims, who knows?

Per Michelln's data book (http://read.dmtmag.com/i/830199-mich...ta-book/53?m4=), their PA4 tire in 295/30R20 fits on rim width 10-11" (not 11.5"), so it will need to stretch to fit as you said. Which OZ did you get? The one that I am finding on tirerack have slightly different offsets (by few mm, so probably not a big deal).

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I ended up with the tirerack OZ, but they are centerlocks for a GT3. They popped up for sale here from a very nice gentleman who had a turbo. I could not resist the price (I don’t recall what I paid but it was like half of new and they were used like 400 Miles). The offsets are different between OZ and factory winter wheels because Porsche winter wheels sit closer into the body. If I am honest, porsche winter wheels do look odd, but I assume they sit in closer for chain fitment or maybe to make the track width closer front to rear so that the rear tires follow closer to the ruts or the front tires. I assume they also cut back on the potential for paint chips from flung material. OZ centers the rear wheels as factory normal wheels and just makes them narrower. At least that is the case with GT3 fitment.

I dont plan to drive in snow or salt, but cold does not bother me and I have found high performance tires in rain (don’t plan to drive in rain either, but sometimes you get caught in a surprise storm) or cold to be very unsafe so that is why I bought them.

Quick Reply: Winter wheels on custom order 991.2 C4S