Sponsored by:

Urgent ordering process questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Exclamation Urgent ordering process questions

1. at what stage do you really know you have a guranteed allocation ans how do you verify it?

2. At what stage are you really locked in and can’t back put without losing deposit?

one of the concerns I have is that I have several dealers telling me they will have a car for me at a specific timeframe give or take a few weeks but how can I be sure who will deliver?

should I hedge my bets and place two deposits down with two dealers and see so who locks in first (above question)?

3. Can I back out of an order if it hasn’t locked in?
Old 09-09-2018, 06:52 PM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask the dealer if they have an allocation or if they have to obtain one for you from another dealer.

Then ask what the freeze date is for the allocation.

From what I recall, you will only lose your deposit if you back out of the build and they can’t sell it (ie kooky or undesired build).

Old 09-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Yeah they all are saying they have allocations, one delaer has 3 at their sister allocations.

so technically I have access to 5, how can I really be sure they have it and will get a car as I want it.

For all I know we can agree and all that and they can come back later and say sorry it fell through and make up what ever excuse. I am the only who gets screwed.

what kind of proof can I ask for?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:30 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

You have an allocation once you have a commission number. Ask your dealer if he has that number. Without a commission number, you do not have an allocation and have nothing guaranteed.

Once the car is ordered and you have a commission number, your lock date is defined in the Porsche Sales and Vehicle Management System. Your dealer can send you a screenshot of all the milestones. See example below from my 2018 911 (lock = vehicle fixed in the pic below).

You can back out of any order at any point before you give the dealer any money but there may be a penalty. Read your sales contract closely as they vary by dealership. My dad backed out of a poorly optioned Panamera one week before delivery. He lost his $5k deposit and he should have....he totally screwed over the dealer.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:34 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

I'm sure there are more qualified members that can answer your questions.

However, I just ordered a a 911 and the deposit was non-refundable 2 weeks before the "freeze point", that would be 9/17/18 for me for a 10/01 "freeze".
Up to that point you can alter your order and from what I've read quite difficult to change after that date.

I would be very hesitant to place multiple deposits to increase the chances of buying one vehicle, don't want to have to deal with deposits recovery.

As the factory is winding down 991.2 production, model availabiilty is being affected. I was initially looking for a 911C4 base but the dealer allocation (for a C4S) couldn't be altered though they tried They offered me the C4S allocation and gave me a higher discount in way of making good. All these factors (and more, I'm sure) will affect your purchase options. I don't know what model you're pursuing but new dealer 911 stock isn't abundant.

Until you sign a contract, there's no guarantee of an exact delivery date, but from reading about other experiences and my order, it seems to be 18 weeks after signing. My original contract was voided because they couldn't provide the specified car. The replacement contract was signed and a delivery date was set within a day. Porsche order tracking generated a code "V200" for the car to enter production and the possible delivery date (mine is 12/28/2018). Various codes will be generated while the car is in production, samples can be found in the forum, see previous post. European delivery reduces the process as it eliminates shipping/transport.

As far as backing out of an order, if possible, I would get the specifics in writing, signed by the sales manager (witnessed), before you provide a deposit.
Good luck.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

As said above, you should get a commission number and a copy of the order showing V200 status. In respect to deposits it is up the dealer, and what you agreed to in writing at the time the deposit was given. I as well have a deposit with the dealer where the deposit does not need to be returned after 2 weeks prior to the freeze date; however, the dealer told me that refunds will be given back after they sell the car as long as they do not lose money on the deal. That is the difference between dealers - some will keep your deposit no matter what and others like ours like to keep their outstanding reputation.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

For the love of Pete, if you place an order, and give a deposit, follow thru. And take delivery. Don't place multiple orders, knowing you'd cancel on the one that delivers last.

You commit to buy. They commit to deliver. Everyone's happy.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
For the love of Pete, if you place an order, and give a deposit, follow thru. And take delivery. Don't place multiple orders, knowing you'd cancel on the one that delivers last.

You commit to buy. They commit to deliver. Everyone's happy.
I plan to take delivery of my car but I had to ask "what if", just in case I were to die or something I don't want my wife to be stuck with such an expensive car. There should not be a need to place more than one order though since if the dealer has an allocation it does not a SA to enter the order in the Porsche Sales and Vehicle Management System and provide you a copy of it. If a dealer is telling you they have an allocation but cannot provide it then you should go somewhere else, now.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I plan to take delivery of my car but I had to ask "what if", just in case I were to die or something I don't want my wife to be stuck with such an expensive car.
But Bob, what better way for your wife to get through the mourning phase and start dating again?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
But Bob, what better way for your wife to get through the mourning phase and start dating again?
Ha! She already said that she would keep it and drive it - she learned how to drive in high school in a '86 944 so I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:29 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

In CA, dealer cannot keep your deposit even if you cancel- I have never cancelled an order, but I have been told by the dealer they cannot keep it if I cancel.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

With v200 and a commission number you are done. No need to worry short of Force Majeure ( if you are a total worry wart.)

The dealer will give you a locked date but this can still move a bit and the dealer doesn't really have a lot of control in my experience. I have also heard situations where, with a lot of effort, you can also modify some aspects of your order even after it is locked...IMO, you dont want to go down that route. Just figure out what you want. order it and move on. Hanging out on the internet wringing your hands is only going to cause you unnecessary angst.

I think most dealers will give you your deposit back if you flake ( personally I wouldn't but then I would probably be the world's worst salesman) unless there is something really unusual about the car that will make it hard to sell. Like a set of carbon fiber door sills that say "Poopie" on them. Some dealers don't even want to be bothered taking a deposit. In many cases they need to fill an allocation and will be ordering a car anyway. If your build is reasonable, I don't think they are all that concerned.

The print out that @subshooter attached is pretty much what you will get. I got a pdf, that wasn't exactly that but much the same details with event code and commission number. I also had a signed contract with my final price, deposit details, fees...but that took about a month to get for my last purchase after they told me we had a deal. I don't know why it took so long but everything went smoothly with no glitches.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

I don’t plan on cancelling and will follow through. It the stealerships I am worried about.

but “commision number and screenshot” is what I will be looking for

not worried about deposit as initial deposit is small untill order lock or ther about and I deposit more at that time.

just don’t want to be screwed, getting decent discount just want to be sure they deliver the car.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Anyone know the Model type number : for Carrera T, so I can compare to make sure they are showing me the right allocation?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Again, don't wait and do it now (first thing in the morning) and if they cannot provide something then it would behoove you to find an allocation elsewhere before they are gone. My SA told me today they were swamped this weekend and sold several cars and took orders on just as many.

Quick Reply: Urgent ordering process questions