Sponsored by:

PEC Track Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 03:54 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default PEC Track Insurance?

If you had PEC delivery or just went there & paid to drive a Porsche on the track, did you buy the $50 insurance to lower your damage responsibility from 10k to 2k?

Most car insurance will not cover you driving on a track. Mine won’t.

This extra cost does not even drop your liability to 0!

I’m wondering if you have to be a very bad driver to crash the car on any of those PEC tracks?
Old 09-08-2018, 08:05 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Less room at PEC Atlanta than LA. Depends on you and your comfort level. You always have an instructor in the car with you, no helmets and it's relatively safe. That being said "You don't want to be that guy!"
Old 09-08-2018, 08:28 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I've been 4 times and never bought it. But beware: PEC track has very very little run off. (like one foot to the guard rail on the back side turns). The driving coach would not have enough time to intervene and stop you. Also, I suspect that most of the people driving on the track don't own a Porsche and probably have never even driven a Porsche before. They likely have never even been to a track. Think of PEC as an amusement park and the participants are cashing in their birthday present from their wife.

I wouldn't classify myself as a great driver but by my third visit, I was passing everybody including the GT3s. I am a risk taker though and paying 10k for a crash would not be a financial strain for me.

I saw a GT3 hit an embankment and damage the rear bumper though.

I'm going back next month to try the 718 out.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:14 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

It’s possible that that damaged rear bumper or scraping a guard rail, would cost under the 2K you’d have to pay even if you bought the coverage.
To really crash the car & do a lot of damage, might take extreme carelessness.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:19 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
It’s possible that that damaged rear bumper or scraping a guard rail, would cost under the 2K you’d have to pay even if you bought the coverage.
To really crash the car & do a lot of damage, might take extreme carelessness.
I don't think you have owned a Porsche for very long. These cars can become totaled with what appears to be cosmetic damage. One headlight costs more than the $2000 deductible. (just for the part).
Old 09-08-2018, 11:45 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought it at Atlanta. There is minimal runoff at the tight end of the track and one corner particularly. I asked the instructor if people bent metal often and he said more often than anyone would expect. For $50 it seems like a no brainer.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:36 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

I took it. $50 piece of mind, and my 10% military discount for the "experience" basically made the insurance free.

Interesting note: PEC offers 10% military discount on the drives (not sure if retired get it too....I'm still active duty.....worth asking about though!) but no PCA discount. The retail shop however, does not offer a military discount, but they do offer a PCA discount....lol
Old 09-08-2018, 02:42 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
Thank you for your service. Did a 2hr G-Force course at PEC LA. June 2018. Drifting a GT3 end of day.
After low friction track, ice hill and kickplate in a 911 C2S. All nannies off. Fun.
Previously did a GT4 at PEC Atlanta 2 yrs ago.
Bought insurance just in case.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:44 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I will pay that $50....the peace of mind is worth it. These are all 100k+ and at that point this is .05% of the car cost.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:03 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Originally Posted by subshooter
...These cars can become totaled with what appears to be cosmetic damage. One headlight costs more than the $2000 deductible. (just for the part).
Originally Posted by wareaglescott
...I asked the instructor if people bent metal often and he said more often than anyone would expect. For $50 it seems like a no brainer.
Thanks!

I will buy the insurance.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
I took it. $50 piece of mind, and my 10% military discount for the "experience" basically made the insurance free.

Interesting note: PEC offers 10% military discount on the drives (not sure if retired get it too....I'm still active duty.....worth asking about though!) but no PCA discount. The retail shop however, does not offer a military discount, but they do offer a PCA discount....lol
They honor the discount to retirees as well. It's a great course. I did it in the Cayman. Next time it will be in the 911 and the Macan.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:15 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

I did the mid vs rear engine (Cayman & 911)

Pro Tip: There wasn't a single base car there when I went a couple months ago. My mid vs rear engine was supposed to be base models but I drove a Cayman GTS and a Carrera S. So what's the pro tip? Don't pay more for the faster models. Just sign up for base and you're likely to get an S or GTS.

Oh, and the ATL track is pretty short. While driving I told my instructor I didn't think it would be worth paying the extra $$ for the GT3 or Turbo S and he agreed wholeheartedly. Unless you just want faster launches on the launch control strip, save your $$ because the track isn't suited well to really be able to open those monsters up.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:06 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
Less room at PEC Atlanta than LA. Depends on you and your comfort level. You always have an instructor in the car with you, no helmets and it's relatively safe. That being said "You don't want to be that guy!"
When I picked up my 991 last year at Atlanta, I did not know what to expect in terms of track "risk". I spent many years wheel-to-wheel racing, and told myself I would have fun at 90%. After a few laps, and noticing all the places without much runoff room (and with only slick grass between pavement and metal) and I dialed that back to 80%. The session was still fun, but more about just getting used to the feel and balance of the car, and not about how fast I could lap.

Quick Reply: PEC Track Insurance?