Sponsored by:

Anyone gone from GT3 to 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:39 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts
Default Anyone gone from GT3 to 991.2 GTS

I love my 991.2 GTS (7 speed manual) but tempted to get a 991.2 manual GT3. Anyone gone from a gt3 to a gts?
Old 09-06-2018, 02:18 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I went from a 991.1 GT3 to a 991.2 GTS, and honestly I think the GTS may be even more fun. I just can't seem to get tired of it, every time I get behind the wheel I have a giant grin on my face, and there aren't really many downsides to it.

I'm also getting a 991.2 GT3 delivered in a couple of months, so I'll have the best of both worlds. I do miss the sportier looks of the GT3.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:03 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Are you pdk or manual guy?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:04 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from a 991.1 GT3 to a GT4 to my 2018 GTS.

The GT3 was a track weapon - on a completely different level IMO.

I swapped to the GT4 because I built a track only car and felt the GT3 was not as much fun as a street only car due to the PDK.

So, wanted the manual in the GT4 - GREAT car.

Sold it to fund a 2018 GTS (with a manual) - primarily as my dad and I wanted to do a euro delivery trip.

The GTS is an incredible daily driver - LOVE the manual and LOVE the motor - effortless torque is really great for a daily driver.

I would not go back to GT3 if I did not plan to track it a lot. That said, if you've never scratched the GT3 itch, there is NOTHING like that motor screaming to 9000rpm.

I did a few session on track in the GTS and it's pretty incredible.

You should know, if you can get a GT3 at MSRP, it will cost less to own than a GTS which is probably depreciating on a more normal depreciation curve.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Are you pdk or manual guy?
Strictly PDK. I grew up with manual cars in Europe, it's old news to me and I'm over it. PDK lets me extract every last bit of performance from the car, and that's what I want these days. Especially in a car like the GT3.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:23 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I have not done this. But here is some rationale, off the top of my head -
The reasons i can see to go from a GT3 to a GTS or an S with X51 PowerKit are to have a fast and fun 911 (7:24 lap on the Nordschleife) that is more street-driving oriented. Torque is 406 ft-lbs from 2100 to 5000 rpm versus the peaky 4.0 L torque of 339 ft-lbs at 6000 rpm (325 ft-lbs for the 3.8 L 991.1 GT3). This is a huge difference in streetabily.
Adjustable suspension would result in a more comfortable daily or weekend street/highway driver, and adds driver-adjustable struts (SPASM) and optional driver-adjustable sway bars (PDCC) for instant personality change when desired.
It also opens up the possibility of luxury options like sunroof, Bose or Burmeister, parking sensors, ventilated seats, etc.
And tracking would still be still fun, but not the sole purpose of the machine.
And of course it might result in raising a little cash, if that is a priority.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:16 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

GTS is one awesome car. I am going for a 992 GTS when they come out. It is the daily driver to own.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:08 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

I just did the opposite...
After 4k miles, I went from 2018 GTS to 2018 GT3.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the GTS w/ all the amenities and creature comforts like cooled seats, moon roof, etc.
I spec'd it just the way I wanted it (msrp near 150k).
The performance (torque) and sport exhaust sound (with full aftermarket exhaust) was tremendous.

In the end, since this was my weekend/fun car...
It was worth giving up the daily driver amenities for raw, overall performance.

The new 4.0 motorsport engine is nothing sort of amazing, even though I'm far from utilizing all of it.
Yes, I plan to track 3-6 times per year.
I have no doubt I made the right choice.... after putting the first 1500 miles on the GT3.

Only downsides / first impressions w/ GT3:
  • Super quiet (start up, slow or cruising around town) compared to GTS.
  • Hate the Sports Exhaust valve actuators open/shut around 3k - 4k rpms depending on how much gas you give it.
  • Doesn't like to go slow and creep around town, especially during break in.
  • Draws 5x more attention than the 991.2 GTS
Old 09-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed

The GTS is an incredible daily driver - LOVE the manual and LOVE the motor - effortless torque is really great for a daily driver.

I would not go back to GT3 if I did not plan to track it a lot. That said, if you've never scratched the GT3 itch, there is NOTHING like that motor screaming to 9000rpm.
This speaks to me. I'm strictly a manual guy with am affinity for convertibles so I love my '16 Spyder. Bought a 991.2 GTS manual Cab to experience the difference between mid and rear engine and to get something more practical for distance traveling in.

However, the GT3 itch got to me when the Touring came out. I have no interest in tracking or a wing on my car. But to get a manual with no wing and a loud NA engine was too much to resist. I'm picking it up next week and am looking forward to seeing how I like it compared to the two I have. I will probably sell one of the three in the next few months and really have no idea which one it will be. Should be a fun experiment though.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:54 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Closertotruth

This speaks to me. I'm strictly a manual guy with am affinity for convertibles so I love my '16 Spyder. Bought a 991.2 GTS manual Cab to experience the difference between mid and rear engine and to get something more practical for distance traveling in.

However, the GT3 itch got to me when the Touring came out. I have no interest in tracking or a wing on my car. But to get a manual with no wing and a loud NA engine was too much to resist. I'm picking it up next week and am looking forward to seeing how I like it compared to the two I have. I will probably sell one of the three in the next few months and really have no idea which one it will be. Should be a fun experiment though.
I tried to get a GT3 Touring in manual with euro delivery. I would not pay mark-up and it was not happening.

So, I went with a GTS. I know the GTS is a better street only car for sure since I owned a 991.1 GT3 and a GT4 - the GTS is the best of them all as far as daily driving - but you are going to love the GT3 motor.

Probably worth giving up a little comfort for!

The ultimate car is what you are getting.

Enjoy it!

Old 09-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
I have not done this. But here is some rationale, off the top of my head -
The reasons i can see to go from a GT3 to a GTS or an S with X51 PowerKit are to have a fast and fun 911 (7:24 lap on the Nordschleife) that is more street-driving oriented. Torque is 406 ft-lbs from 2100 to 5000 rpm versus the peaky 4.0 L torque of 339 ft-lbs at 6000 rpm (325 ft-lbs for the 3.8 L 991.1 GT3). This is a huge difference in streetabily.
Adjustable suspension would result in a more comfortable daily or weekend street/highway driver, and adds driver-adjustable struts (SPASM) and optional driver-adjustable sway bars (PDCC) for instant personality change when desired.
It also opens up the possibility of luxury options like sunroof, Bose or Burmeister, parking sensors, ventilated seats, etc.
And tracking would still be still fun, but not the sole purpose of the machine.
And of course it might result in raising a little cash, if that is a priority.
Originally Posted by captainkirk
GTS is one awesome car. I am going for a 992 GTS when they come out. It is the daily driver to own.
That's kind of what I am sensing. Buddy with a brand 991.2 GT3, which of course the 4.0 with it's 9K rev limit is nothing short of spectacular, but it's a quiet motor and only really comes to life it seems when you drive it like an ANIMAL! And come to life it does, right? But the GTS with 406 lbs of torque at lower RPMs? Whoa. What's not like about the streetabiliy of this car.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:17 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best track focused cars I've had were the 2007 GT3 and 2016 GT4. Manuals both of them. Heel toe old school in the 2007. Next closest and unquestionably fastest was the 2015 GT3. Tracked that 18 times. Then a CPO 2015 TTS got a year. Heavier with AWD. Now a 2018 GTS. GTS great weekender with better exhaust noise than Stock TTS. Doing much less tracking nowadays. All good cars.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:14 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
That's kind of what I am sensing. Buddy with a brand 991.2 GT3, which of course the 4.0 with it's 9K rev limit is nothing short of spectacular, but it's a quiet motor and only really comes to life it seems when you drive it like an ANIMAL! And come to life it does, right? But the GTS with 406 lbs of torque at lower RPMs? Whoa. What's not like about the streetabiliy of this car.
Agree -
And the GTS gives up nothing in street quickness, with 0-60 time just about same as the 4.0 GT3. On the Nordschleife, the GTS lap time beats the 991.1 GT3, and it's not that much slower than the 991.2 GT3. The key difference is the luxury options available on the GTS that are not available on GT3's. Oh, and the GTS (and also the Carrera S with X51 PowerKit) are lower priced than the GT3.
There you go...
Old 09-13-2018, 08:40 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

So I test drove a 2015 gt3 and...... i was utterly disappointed. Yes, I know it's pretty much a track car but it surely felt slower than my gts with just the exhaust. It did handle amazing but it sure felt lifeless unless you stayed between 6k and 9k. I was instantly relieved because I knew I made the right decision for myself getting a 7 speed manual 991.2 gts. I cant wait to tune the car and really wake it up. To me the gt3 only make sense if you are going to be doing heavy tracking. Just my .02 and I know I will get flamed. I however did love that exhaust note
Old 09-13-2018, 11:59 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
So I test drove a 2015 gt3 and...... i was utterly disappointed. Yes, I know it's pretty much a track car but it surely felt slower than my gts with just the exhaust. It did handle amazing but it sure felt lifeless unless you stayed between 6k and 9k. I was instantly relieved because I knew I made the right decision for myself getting a 7 speed manual 991.2 gts. I cant wait to tune the car and really wake it up. To me the gt3 only make sense if you are going to be doing heavy tracking. Just my .02 and I know I will get flamed. I however did love that exhaust note
It's hard to go from that turbo torque to an NA engine. I felt similarly when I traded my tuned 997.1 TT for a 991.1 GT3, but over time I learned how to extract the performance out of the car. Eventually I got tired of the lack of torque and traded it for another car.

I'll be getting my 991.2 GT3 in November. I haven't driven one yet, but they say it has more torque and feels more powerful across the board than the 991.1 GT3, which I really hope is the case. Still, I'm sure it'll feel slower than my tuned GTS in daily driving.

People are so scared of the next GT3 being turbo, but if it is I will be first in line. I want those looks with the extra power and torque. I have zero attachment to NA whatsoever. It would be nice if they could make it sound awesome and also get a GT turbo engine to rev higher than the GTS. That's one thing that is hard to adjust to coming from the GT3, I keep running out of revs on the GTS.

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from GT3 to 991.2 GTS