Porsche and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 12:21 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
How far are you into your factory warranty? Mileage?

The P Dealers I have dealt with here in FL are great and I would never get the hassles you have...time to try and another one and tell the new one exactly why you are changing dealers.
The ones I dealt in Houston were ok.

First time with 6k miles and now with 12k
Old 09-06-2018, 12:31 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Man your dealer is awful. I'm glad mine is small town. Sad.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:38 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Wow, never had an experience like that with a Porsche dealer. In fact quite the opposite. Had many small things that broke fixed under original and CPO warranty. That just doesn't seem like wear and tear. More like a faulty part of poor design, both of which are manufacturer's defects. I suspect the replacement of this part will not be profitable for the dealer and thus they prefer to allocate their time to more extensive, profitable repairs. Time to dump that dealer.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be more careful when I handle that thing.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW911
Wow, never had an experience like that with a Porsche dealer. In fact quite the opposite. Had many small things that broke fixed under original and CPO warranty. That just doesn't seem like wear and tear. More like a faulty part of poor design, both of which are manufacturer's defects. I suspect the replacement of this part will not be profitable for the dealer and thus they prefer to allocate their time to more extensive, profitable repairs. Time to dump that dealer.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be more careful when I handle that thing.
Heads up is the idea. Also, Don't take what they say for granted. I'll be changing dealers. Enough is enough.

Perhaps the dumbest part is that if they warrant the part, they can charge porsche the installation time and the part won't cost them anything. Probably more profit than trying to sell me a $45 part.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:47 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Indeed. This one is really close to me. Gotta balance pros and cons
I don't feel the love there . Any service is at least 5 day wait, with a loaner, 3 weeks... I don't know if this is the usual norm around, but they always seem to have loaners sitting there.
Move on. You should not have to wait 3 weeks for service with a loaner. At the most if the dealer is crazed I wait 5 days and always get a Porsche loaner.
Move on maybe the next dealer will appreciate your $180/hour service fee more than this one.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:49 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Same here. Always a Porsche loaner and wait is at most a week if they are completely slammed.....which so far hasn’t been often. (Mostly maintenance work vs. Lots of break/fixes like the Jag dealer)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:14 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback fellas, very useful. The current dealer is 4 mls away, the second closest 26, in traffic. Seems I'll need to clear a day off work to fix something this dumb.

Last time I buy a car from Porsche with prepaid maintenance. It was supposed to be refreshing not having to shop around for an indie mechanic, end up being the opposite. Taking the car to the dealer already made no financial sense, now no practical sense as well. Just an example (perhaps unrelated), tire replacement is $600 for all 4, not counting the tires. 150 would do all in any reputable shop.

I also have wheel and tire insurance, which you need to borderline beg to get a claim submitted by the dealer. Quite the opposite what was promised at the sale time- no surprises there.

There's a huge disconnect between the experience of the purchase of a car, driving it and servicing it. Is it different in the car industry compared to the rest, where money is made on the long run by selling services, not as much as products? Perhaps the sheer profit per car make them care less for their clients later on, at least this dealer. IMHO, the dealer is the face of the brand.

Once I finish this warranty debacle with the dealer (one way or the other), I'm sending this thread to their car sales manager and to PCNA. It's not about $45, but the way they behave on a very competitive industry. God forbid if something that's not clear cut warranty comes up ( I recall a thread about reverse lights and a transmission issue costing 15k). If I didn't like 911s so much, I would go get an AMG or M car. I guess that's part of the deal, that they count on.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:55 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

I thought warranty decisions are outside of dealer control.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:09 PM
BlackCS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chicago area dealer service seems to be declining at a steady pace, several years back, I had to diagnose, and insist on their tech checking the padding on the fuel tank in my cayman, since I was getting a squeaking sound, after 4 visits, they decided to take a look. Fast forward, 9114s, PDCC warning, car was CPO, 10 minutes after picking it up, PDCC warning once again, I drive straight back to the dealer, where one of the SA's tells me not worry, turn it off and on, I must have taken the on-ramp to hard (great explanation, this was followed by the replacement of the PDCC ECM). The car came with clear OEM led side markers, one of them had water inside, the SA insisted nothing could be done, they weren't the original side markers, funny thing is he looked up an 18 turbo s sitting next to my car, to get a reference (or to make sure he wasn't bs'ing), ironically that car also had clear LED side markers.

Then I bring my Boxster in for service, first issue is delaminating headlights, well documented, dealer response is nope, they wont even submit the claim, since their service adjuster came to the conclusion that there was an external influence, it was probably "buffed" to hard, amazing detective work from a few cellphone pictures.The door panels also warped and failed, the dealer refused to replace this, claiming it was was not covered under CPO, their response was, sorry ****-off. When I asked them why did they replace the warped door panels on my 911, but they are refusing to do it on the boxster, the SA also claimed that the dealer took a hit on my 911, when they replaced the warping door panels under CPO warranty, allegedly Porsche refused to reimburse them. I won't name the dealership, but it's the one which is currently expending, and judging by the amount of work, they primarily focus on large scale warranty work, where they can make larger margins, as well as prioritizing customers who purchased vehicles directly from them (I got this information after chatting with a former clerk from that location).

The ownership experience is certainly far from where it was before, it seems the only way to get a true peace of mind is to purchase brand new, or have it under the original 4 year warranty, which judging by the thread starter, is now questionable at best.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:34 PM
GBRider
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AC compressor was frozen up at delivery of my brand new "17" S Cab. I took delivery on Friday at a dealer 150 mi from home. On the drive home, there was no cold air, but there were no other symptoms and it made no noise. I called Monday to have it checked out. After they diagnosed the problem, I made it a point to ask SA to replace the belt when they changed the compressor and he said "of course". A week later I got the car back without a new belt. Took it back in for the belt, but again it wasn't changed. When I complained, the SA said the belt looked fine and if they changed it, Porsche would not pay them for the work. I said the paint on the compressor & pulley was blackened by the heat of the belt running over the frozen pulley. The rubber belt had to be compromised by the heat regardless of how it looks. SA refused to change the belt.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:05 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackCS
The ownership experience is certainly far from where it was before, it seems the only way to get a true peace of mind is to purchase brand new, or have it under the original 4 year warranty, which judging by the thread starter, is now questionable at best.
The CPO was supposed to be an extension of the original warranty. Also, they accept aftermarket stuff as CPO without an issue. Friend of mine almost wrecked his car due to aftermarket wheel that crumbled on the track. My '14 was sold w/ aftermarket x-pipe and promptly CPO for sale. I offered the original muffler for free, they refused (installation costs I bet). The whole think is a joke. I believe they have some discretion on warranty claims or the factory job gets to be very difficult. Imagine having to check all claims before approving the service? That's where some dealers are better (or less worse) than others.

If PCNA reads this site, which some say they do, they don't care. Similarly if you call and they say the dealership has liberty to do whatever they want. Until you make it public, of course.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil ($100 as it's out of warranty )
Old 09-06-2018, 04:24 PM
BlackCS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I thought warranty decisions are outside of dealer control.
Originally Posted by John Mclane
The CPO was supposed to be an extension of the original warranty. Also, they accept aftermarket stuff as CPO without an issue. Friend of mine almost wrecked his car due to aftermarket wheel that crumbled on the track. My '14 was sold w/ aftermarket x-pipe and promptly CPO for sale. I offered the original muffler for free, they refused (installation costs I bet). The whole think is a joke. I believe they have some discretion on warranty claims or the factory job gets to be very difficult. Imagine having to check all claims before approving the service? That's where some dealers are better (or less worse) than others.

If PCNA reads this site, which some say they do, they don't care. Similarly if you call and they say the dealership has liberty to do whatever they want. Until you make it public, of course.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil ($100 as it's out of warranty )
I've sent several emails to Porsche N/A, with zero response, my Cayenne S happened to be blessed with the camshaft bolt failure, imagine a 2 ton truck losing all power at 45-50 mph. Zero response from Porsche, out of pocket repair, one year later, after countless failures, and the feds stepping in, Porsche goes oh yeah that bolt failure, right, we will take care of it now. The GT3 engine failure fiasco, which many people claimed Porsche took the noble approach and offered a 10 year warranty, guess what, the reason they HAD to swap engines at the port, and on brand new cars sitting on the lots, is because, yep you guessed it, the fed's stepped in (some gt3's have original engines since they weren't identified in the federal disclosure as having the defect). CPO, for what it's worth proved to be mostly useless, and I specifically purchased CPO, and paid a premium. There are many instances where Porsche steps in to cover pdk or engine failure after warranty, however I think the VAG ownership is slowly chipping away at Porsche as a brand, death by a thousand cuts so to speak.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:43 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately that's the same impression I have. PDK stumble and ims failure comes to mind.
The dealers think that buying 100k plus cars is natural. They give you the dirty eye if you try to negotiate. If Illinois follows other states and stop giving a tax break on trade-ins, that would be the last nail on purchasing locally for me.
Those sour experiences makes me search for different brands. My prior mercs never needed argument to have stuff fixed under warranty. At the same time, it's not unusual to see TTS being sold for 230+. That's supposed to be close to the Portofino price. GT2 RS way above 500k. Greed seldom pays in the long run. "The north remembers - Game of thrones).
Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not forgetting the survey porsche send it after a service. The dealer holds that against you. "If you don't give 10 all over we get dinged". So next time you take your car to service, they will give the special sauce because of that 9 you gave them.
Refusing to do the survey doesn't work. The level of hypocrisy is so big that the survey asks if there's pressure from the dealer.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:55 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update. After a friendly talk, they decided to be magnanimous and cover a $45 part. They don't have the time this week to install it (!), so I'll be waiting. Another service that needs leaving the car there will be done in early October, when they'll have a loaner available.
Shopping for a different shop, but it seem Chicago is short on decent ones.

Quick Reply: Porsche and warranty