Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diminished Value Claim

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

A friend is an adjuster for a large auto insurance company. He says it is common to award up to 50% of actual collision damage repair to compensate for diminished value to a high line vehicle. But do not sign anything that let's them off the hook, before they compensate you to your satisfaction.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:33 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Macmtr
TJ,

Did you ever receive a DV settlement on your Turbo S? If so, did you have to employ an attorney?

Thanks,

Jason
I get the car back this Friday. Along with it is every scrap of paper on the repair. I have retained an attorney and once we have everything we will begin the conversation with my insurance again. We will also have a conversation with the tow company’s insurance because it is due to that damage it took so long to get done.

-TJ
Old 05-09-2019, 06:24 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
I get the car back this Friday. Along with it is every scrap of paper on the repair. I have retained an attorney and once we have everything we will begin the conversation with my insurance again. We will also have a conversation with the tow company’s insurance because it is due to that damage it took so long to get done.

-TJ
Hey, TJ--I hope you can at least get some driving enjoyment with summer coming.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Hey, TJ--I hope you can at least get some driving enjoyment with summer coming.
Unfortunately, summer has been here for about a month. Has been killing me.

Also found out this morning that the dealership is not done with its part, after having it for three weeks, so I will probably get it next week. I can’t seem to catch a break.

-TJ
Old 05-11-2019, 10:29 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy

-TJ
Towing a car isn't exactly a complex process. Towing company simply attaches the towing winch cable to the car's tow hook, and slowly pulls the car to the towing vehicle, where it is secured for transport. How did they screw that up?

PS I just looked at the pictures of your car. Now I can see how towing it could be challenging. Probably 99.9% of the cars that sustained the damage that your car did, would have been totaled. The value of your Turbo undoubtedly made it more economically attractive to the insurance company to do a repair. But your car has been so extensively damaged that between the repair costs and your diminished value claim, it will probably come very close to the price for a Turbo replacement.

Last edited by fast1; 05-11-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
Towing a car isn't exactly a complex process. Towing company simply attaches the towing winch cable to the car's tow hook, and slowly pulls the car to the towing vehicle, where it is secured for transport. How did they screw that up?

PS I just looked at the pictures of your car. Now I can see how towing it could be challenging. Probably 99.9% of the cars that sustained the damage that your car did, would have been totaled. The value of your Turbo undoubtedly made it more economically attractive to the insurance company to do a repair. But your car has been so extensively damaged that between the repair costs and your diminished value claim, it will probably come very close to the price for a Turbo replacement.
Actually, the tow company screwed up the inside of the car. My insurance had it taken to a local body shop for the estimate, however, I wanted it done at another body shop that specialized in high end cars such as this. When the tow company picked it up to deliver it to shop #2, the tow driver took all the parts that shop #1 had taken off the car from a box they were in, and placed them in the back seat and the front passenger seat, cutting and ruining the leather on about most of the inside, to include the head liner. It turned out to be a very expensive mistake for the driver.

-TJ
Old 05-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Just a small update as the car was not done when I went down yesterday. Apparently the Porsche dealership where they need to do the alignment and a few other things, including the 4y/40k service I was paying for, was just flat out lying when they said things were done. Tough to tell me over the phone you are just finishing up the paperwork on the service so I can pay them what I owe, and then get down there to walk in the dealership and see they have not done ANY of the stuff for the service yet other than taking off the back bumper. I had a serious conversation with the Service Manager who assured me they would get it back to the repair shop with all of their work done by this coming Wednesday so I can fly back down and pick it up on Friday. It will have taken over 8 months to get this all done, mostly due to the interior.

While I don't have a full accounting yet of everything, I did find out that the interior repair alone was going to cost the tow company close to $30k. It will probably cost more between the two insurance company's than the car was worth when all is said and done. However, they don't work together like that, so are ready to pay their share alone. Amazing.

-TJ
Old 05-11-2019, 03:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

On the glass half full side of the equation, at least you'll basically have a new interior. I'm not an appraiser, but I doubt that the leather repair would negatively affect the value of your car. It may even enhance it. That exterior damage on the other hand looks ugly. Based on the pictures I assume your car's frame had to be straightened. OTOH if the car is perfectly repaired, it may not affect the value as much as you fear. I wouldn't begin to speculate how much is fair, but I received $5000 in Diminished Value on a $11,000 repair. I did have to take the insurance company to Small Claims Court before I collected the money.
Before you take delivery carefully check the quality of the paint job. It would be a good idea to take a friend with you: two sets of eyes are better than one. Also be certain to check the panel gaps, or the spaces between the different body panels on the car. They should be fairly uniform. If any parts of the body don't line up properly; if a gap gets wider along its length; if there are differences in width on either side of the panel (i.e., the gap on one side of the trunk lid is larger than the other); or if a panel gap differs significantly on opposite sides of the car (i.e., the gaps between the front doors and the front fenders), I'd certainly bring it to the attention of the repair shop.
Good luck.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:25 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Discharged from the hospital on Friday. Still have one issue to work out on the Blackvue camera's, but got to drive it home and have been putting a few miles on her.

Took 263 days from accident to release. Now let the fight with the insurance companies commence.

-TJ
The following users liked this post:
agcs2015 (12-17-2022)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:42 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

congrats on FINALLY getting car back and fixed

looks grand

good luck with fight with insurance company
Old 05-29-2019, 08:29 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
On the glass half full side of the equation, at least you'll basically have a new interior. I'm not an appraiser, but I doubt that the leather repair would negatively affect the value of your car. It may even enhance it. That exterior damage on the other hand looks ugly. Based on the pictures I assume your car's frame had to be straightened. OTOH if the car is perfectly repaired, it may not affect the value as much as you fear. I wouldn't begin to speculate how much is fair, but I received $5000 in Diminished Value on a $11,000 repair. I did have to take the insurance company to Small Claims Court before I collected the money.
Before you take delivery carefully check the quality of the paint job. It would be a good idea to take a friend with you: two sets of eyes are better than one. Also be certain to check the panel gaps, or the spaces between the different body panels on the car. They should be fairly uniform. If any parts of the body don't line up properly; if a gap gets wider along its length; if there are differences in width on either side of the panel (i.e., the gap on one side of the trunk lid is larger than the other); or if a panel gap differs significantly on opposite sides of the car (i.e., the gaps between the front doors and the front fenders), I'd certainly bring it to the attention of the repair shop.
Good luck.
Yikes. I'm not versed in how small claims court works. Can you provide details on the process you took and what ensued to get there? And if going to court cost you any money? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:42 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad you got your car back...finally!

I wonder why the repair shop flat out lied about work being finished when it had not yet begun? Did they think you were so stupid you'd pay 1st b4 seeing the car complete?
Also, I wonder if the tow truck driver did that damage deliberately, as a FU to a Porsche owner? He took parts OUT of a box & laid them roughly onto leather seats & also damaged the headliner?

I doubt it was mere carelessness.

I'm glad the tow company had to pay, which means they are not happy with that driver, who s/b fired.

I hope you will be made whole re diminished value, etc.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default doubt it

My SO had a 3 week old Honda hit by a minivan running a red light. The tow truck driver destroyed the interior by throwing part off the road inside the car. Most tow truck drivers are just complete tools.

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Glad you got your car back...finally!

I wonder why the repair shop flat out lied about work being finished when it had not yet begun? Did they think you were so stupid you'd pay 1st b4 seeing the car complete?
Also, I wonder if the tow truck driver did that damage deliberately, as a FU to a Porsche owner? He took parts OUT of a box & laid them roughly onto leather seats & also damaged the headliner?

I doubt it was mere carelessness.

I'm glad the tow company had to pay, which means they are not happy with that driver, who s/b fired.

I hope you will be made whole re diminished value, etc.

Quick Reply: Diminished Value Claim