Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diminished Value Claim

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:29 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Such imbecility is unfortunately common, either that or they don't give a sh*t.

Not to cast doubt on all tow truck drivers, but I've seen them do things that are basically vandalism, like dragging a 4WD Toyota Land Cruiser backwards and blowing out the transmission/transfer case. In those cases, they don't give a sh*t.

Your tow driver obviously needed 24/7 adult supervision.

My condolences.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

Dude, that sucks and I feel bad for you. Had a Honda get totaled and the tow idiot did the same thing. would have take 2 seconds to put the stuff in the trunk. I bought a BMW project car for a daily beater and was having it flat bedded to the shop. The tow tuck driver got it on the ramp and then somehow got confused hitting the gas instead of the brake and drove the car head on into his own cab while I was standing there watching. Crushed the front of the BMR and since it was a low value car I sold it. You would have to think the tow truck guy ruined your property on purpose. I would really push their insurance for anything that even got dirt on it in the interior. What a POS.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:04 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

That might be a special type of Alaska stupid (or maybe just universal stupid). I would wish that the cost to the tow company would lead to them firing the monkey, but he might be the owner's son-in-law or something. I hope you get a complete new interior out of this.

Last edited by bkrantz; 10-08-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:10 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Must.. resist.. making.. Sarah.. Palin.. joke.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:58 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Must.. resist.. making.. Sarah.. Palin.. joke.
Nah, go for it.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:46 AM
donjo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point I'd pray that it gets totaled. This whole situation is a slow motion train wreck. Sorry, man.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:20 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Is there DV on a car that is leased?

Interesting thread. The concept of lost value from an accident is clear. However, curious if the car is repaired to factory specs, and it is leased with no surcharges at the end of lease, would there be a DV claim? I guess if you can walk away from the car at lease end, you have no loss for DV.

Thoughts.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:48 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Interesting thread. The concept of lost value from an accident is clear. However, curious if the car is repaired to factory specs, and it is leased with no surcharges at the end of lease, would there be a DV claim? I guess if you can walk away from the car at lease end, you have no loss for DV.

Thoughts.
One of the primary reasons for leasing (the other big one is ability to write it off as a business expense more easily)
Old 11-28-2018, 12:22 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

UPDATE

Finally received the DV offer from my insurance company: $3,500. As many of you suggested, they are attempting to low ball this. But I was prepared with two estimates, one at $35-40,000 from the dealership, and another from a Porsche restorer at between $13-$17,000. I have told them I expect the true number to be somewhere in between the two estimates and expect them to respond in that manner. I guess we will see how this goes.

They have also been a pain on another front. Part of my uninsured motorist insurance is a clause that will pay me the results of a suit I bring against the driver/owner of the vehicle for my out of pocket costs and losses, including attorney fees, interest, and court costs. However, I need their written permission to do this. As of right now they have refused, saying I may settle without their permission, which would of course interfere with their ability to go after them for their losses. I am only asking for permission to sue, so am now going back and forth with a manager. If I don't get a satisfactory answer on this soon, or on the DV portion of the claim, then it is going to be attorney time as I am about fed up with how they are progressing on this.

On the interior claim, the repairs are going to be way more extensive than first thought. The entire inside is pretty much being redone as there were a bunch of other areas that were also damaged. As part of that, they had to take out the front and rear glass to take out the head liner for replacement. One cracked and the other broke, so will be getting new glass as well. I will say that the detail of the repair shop is incredible. They are catching a ton of things I missed in my inspection. I am waiting for a final estimate for what that is going to cost the tow company's insurance and will also ask for a DV claim on that as well.

Repairs are underway, and they have the new door temporarily installed until they can get more of the parts. Some are coming from Germany, and there is no ETA on delivery at this time. Hopefully this is all done in time for spring.
-TJ

A few pictures of the vehicle under repair:

Old 11-28-2018, 01:51 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Your perseverance is admirable, as it seems that everywhere you turn it's a further complication.

I hope you get the good results you deserve.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:33 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Sad pictures!

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I completely feel your pain! Ugh. Hope you get it resolved to you satisfaction.

Photos make me sick. So sorry you are going through this.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Looks like so many parts and repairs to do -- I just don't know why your insurance company did not just total the car. They should have and if they did you would probably be on the road right now driving a new Porsche.

Pics are terrible to look at. Good luck, hope everything works out for you in the end with repairs, DM, etc.

Continue to keep us posted.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:59 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

A gearhead I know who is an adjuster for a large auto insurance company and drives a sweet sports/muscle car told me that it is common nowadays to get as much as 50% of the final collision repairs to compensate for diminished value on an otherwise perfect car. Don't sign anything saying you are satisfied. You may have to get a lawyer involved if they resist. Sorry for your aggravation and loss.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:40 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Is there no way to put the interior claim together with the initial claim rather than keeping it separate? That might push the claim into total territory.

Was the tow company working on behalf of your insurance carrier? Were they paying for that?

Quick Reply: Diminished Value Claim