Sponsored by:

Insurance Report - Went down $500

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

My bill went from $3000 every 6 months to $1200 when choosing identical coverage, switching from State Farm to Progressive.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:30 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Live in central Florida. Have RV coverage with Progressive, quite reasonable, and State Farm for umbrella and the rest of our vehicles.

I would leave State Farm (cancelled my homeowner's insurance after 30 claim-less years, company claimed too much hurricane risk exposure). Was advised by my Progressive agent, who also has my home insurance, not to leave State Farm, their policies can't be cancelled after so many years.

That being said, I'll be shopping for a policy, pending the arrival of my 911, with both agents. The main concern is the issue of authorized repair shops.

Looked at specialty insurance companies, Hagerty, Grundy, but various requirements apparently preclude coverage. When I speak to my Progressive agent I'll ask about Hagerty (they're an agent), just to clarify.

Suggestions on companies and your experience with them would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:46 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Geico was also the insurance company that supplied police departments with radar and lidar guns for many years, in the hope that ore tickets written would let them jack up rates and force drivers into assigned risk pools. I wouldn't use the company's insurance if it were free.
Yeah, this.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Luvwine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t choose an insurance company based entirely on premiums. What I care more about is how they treat claimants. In my experience (as a personal injury lawyer) is that the worst companies for systematically low balling on claims are Allstate, GEICO, and Progressive. State Farm is also often a PITA. Better companies these days in my experience and area include Travelers, Nationwide, Cincinnati, and Amica (not in that order). I personally have Cincinnati.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Lambomike58
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don’t put a lot of miles on you car, try rally insurance group, I’m paying around $1200/yr full coverage with a $86k total damage protection, my car is a 14 Carrera S cab it’s considered as a pleasure vehicle, I’m limited to 3K miles a year but you can adjust that for more (of course if you add more $ goes up) I’m 60yrs old with a clean record
Old 09-10-2018, 06:08 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Due to the nature of insuring a Porsche, I've been doing research and reading, has added to the wariness I already had of the insurance industry.
Reading through the many consumer complaints eliminates from consideration companies I thought were reputable. Sure they get positive reviews for the initial contacts, but when it gets to the point of paying off on a claim or using their roadside assistance, the "friendly, helpful manner" has evaporated.

I've already had aggro with my former homeowner's policy (cancelled after 35 years of no claims, this is quite common in Florida, I have a solid house than has been through several hurricanes unscathed). Plus currently, consumer watchdog agencies on all levels get eliminated as being too "taxing/unfriendly" to the industry, you're on your own.

I'll be adding my ordered 911 coverage in a couple of months, I'll see how that goes.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:38 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

I had been a loyal customer of Safeco for 20 years. After a trickle of bumping up my rates each 6 month renewal (while my cars aged), I shopped around (State Farm, Progressive, Gieco, Met Life, etc) and found Nationwide to be a good blend of better pricing (not the lowest) and good reputation.

But, after attractive ‘teaser rates’ they have raised 25% in 18 months. I’m shopping again.

They all suck.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Luvwine
I don’t choose an insurance company based entirely on premiums. What I care more about is how they treat claimants. In my experience (as a personal injury lawyer) is that the worst companies for systematically low balling on claims are Allstate, GEICO, and Progressive. State Farm is also often a PITA. Better companies these days in my experience and area include Travelers, Nationwide, Cincinnati, and Amica (not in that order). I personally have Cincinnati.
Getting an inside perspective from someone who has dealt with the companies is helpful. Any feedback on Mercury?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:03 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by SeymourButts
Getting an inside perspective from someone who has dealt with the companies is helpful. Any feedback on Mercury?
I had Mercury for over 15 years in MD before moving to FL and they were great, both rates and service on claims.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:39 AM
Luvwine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeymourButts
i am sorry, but I don’t have enough experience with them to comment.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Migx27
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Live in miami fl. Just changed from geico to progressive. Geico every 6 months bumping my price. Said enough is enough. Like someone said above, loyalty in this industry doesnt pay

Quick Reply: Insurance Report - Went down $500