Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 01:44 PM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
When building a 911, that’s the question. Has anyone ordered the standard audio and gone aftermarket? If so, what was the experience and cost? Thanks in advance for your reply.

I currently have Bose with the Musicar tweeters, but hate Bose so much for the crap they put in my car that I dont want to give them more business. However, the price of Burmester seems too high, especially compared to the system we had put in our BMW.
Sorry, I can't help you with the Burmester, but the Bose is nothing to write home about. Really underwhelming.

The only thing I miss from my Audi is that premium B&O sound system. It was simply spectacular.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:01 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Maybe the next-gen 911 will go that route.

We have B&O stereos and headphones at home - they are excellent.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Stanley Park
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not an audio aficionado, but I bought the Burmester. The quality of the Burmester is commensurate with the quality of the car. I am pleased with the decision.

But surprisingly, I don’t use it much. It is powered-up for traffic and news reports and the occasional audio book. After one year, I cancelled the satellite radio subscription because of too many dropouts on downtown streets and in the mountains. I transferred several hundred songs from my home music collection to an SD card in the Burmester. When the car is parked, the Burmester plays them magnificently.

In my experience the sounds of the tires, engine and exhaust overpower the audio system unless the volume is cranked up to high levels. But I can’t drive with music playing so loudly that sidewalk pedestrians notice or I am prevented from hearing approaching emergency vehicles. So, I have the audio muted on most days.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:17 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Well, I'm biased in this debate. So...

Old 09-04-2018, 11:50 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Happy with the Bose in my 991.2 GTS... Then again I listen to Hard Rock and EDM. The Bose in my wife's Macan is also great
Old 09-05-2018, 06:45 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Since you said the Burmester was designed specifically for the 991.2 does that mean you could not get the Burmester in the 991.1 cars? Or does that mean it was improved upon for the 991.2 cars?
Porsche says the Burmester was designed specifically for the car when it is available as an option. I assume the same was true when Burmester was an option for a new 991.1.
They do extensive EQ & other tests to tweak the system.
When you have an aftermarket system installed, the installer should also tweak it specifically for your car. A lot more than merely EQ. But how long will the installer spend doing this after he installs it? 1 hour? 2 hours? I sure the sound engineers @ Porsche spend many hours doing this testing & tweaking. They do this whenever they have a new car design. They are probably doing it now for the 992.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:57 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
So I have no clue what TwinTurbo420 is talking about.

For what it is worth, my SA and I were talking about options and he said that the Burmester is not worth it in his opinion and that the Bose with some tweaking will satisfy 90% of listeners, and I agree.
Every SA I spoke with & most forum comments said the same thing. Along with; "I just listen to the engine."

Many people with large Flat screen HDTVs either have low end sound systems, a sound bar or (shudder) listen to the built in tiny amp & speakers. They are really missing out. (They also probably have never calibrated their picture) They would say, it sounds fine to me, the picture is GREAT! (Even it it is still in the store display torch mode with oversaturated colors & contrast)

For an audiophile, it is a different thing entirely.

The OP can follow my suggestions b4 deciding & then he will know whether or not he likes the Burm better enough to justify spending the extra $. Or maybe he can find an aftermarket solution (that he actually can HEAR 1st... in a 911)

If you listen to a lossy, mediocre source then maybe you will be unable to appreciate the differences between those systems.
If you are really stretching your budget to afford a 911, then there are many options you should not get, including the overpriced Burmester.

If I lived in Oregon, I would have tried to set an appt. with Nick/Musicar to hear a demo 991.2 with the full Phase III, listening to my provided CD test tracks. I would have tried to do this right after listening to a 911 with Burmester. I would listen with engine running, seat ventilation on. Even if I could have arranged that, it still is not a perfect test since probably hours would have passed between listening to system A vs. B.
When you audition speakers for your home theater or stereo, you bring you own (lossless) music & go back & forth A-B. At least you should.

Then I'd have a good idea of Musicar's complete solution vs. Burmester ... & the comparative costs (With Musicar & not me, doing the installation) Let's be fair

Maybe Musicar would have blown away the Burmester, IDK. But, at what cost?

Only the OP can decide, by listening tests.

YMMV

Last edited by TwinTurbo420; 09-05-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ronht
I disagree

I've experienced the Bose in a 2017 Carrera S and was unimpressed, really couldn't tell much difference between the Bose and the basic sound package.

In my Carrera T I now have the Burmester and the difference in quality and clarity is really amazing!

BTW - with the Burmester you get an additional "Burmester" menu in the PCM for sound adjustment
Ditto that. You *may* be able to get an aftermarket system comparable to the Burmester for less, but the headache & risk of aftermarket in my past experience is no longer worth it to me when there's a solid factory option.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:30 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto above. There maybe some techs that do a great job, but don't want to risk it. I have Burmester love it. On my TTS it was ONLY $3500.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
Ditto above. There maybe some techs that do a great job, but don't want to risk it. I have Burmester love it. On my TTS it was ONLY $3500.
That's because Bose was standard on your TTS. Equip a Carrera with Bose and the Burmester is "only" $3500 more LOL...
Old 09-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
That's because Bose was standard on your TTS. Equip a Carrera with Bose and the Burmester is "only" $3500 more LOL...
I just keep thinking about the conversion with Nick's tweeters and the cheap crap Bose I pulled out. I guess Bose is selling that crap to Porsche for $150 and Porsche is selling it to us for $1600.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I just keep thinking about the conversion with Nick's tweeters and the cheap crap Bose I pulled out. I guess Bose is selling that crap to Porsche for $150 and Porsche is selling it to us for $1600.
Of course they are!

Don't forget about the cost of the aluminum-look plastic gas cap....Porsche is charging $$$ for colored plastic!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:38 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Of course they are!

Don't forget about the cost of the aluminum-look plastic gas cap....Porsche is charging $$$ for colored plastic!
The aluminum-look cap is actually metal of some sort, not plastic. At least it is on mine... I've actually had to polish it before.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by mreloc
The aluminum-look cap is actually metal of some sort, not plastic. At least it is on mine... I've actually had to polish it before.
I had one on my last 991 and it sure felt plasticky to me. At any rate...I don't think it is aluminum....

It did look good, though! Although I was the only one to ever see it...and only when I fueled up...
Old 09-05-2018, 03:20 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Up the numbers and Burmeister's doing the same thing. But the results are a lot better sounding......

Quick Reply: Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?