Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:01 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I bought the Burmeister. It's seamless, sounds great and Huey and Dewey aren't going to be pulling off your door trim.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:28 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Burmester for me. I love it... for the sound it is very good to me. Sure, I could have redirected that money to a perhaps better aftermarket system, but I don't want anyone taking apart my car to do that. And, I don't think the resale would be helped any with an aftermarket system installed.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:25 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 144 Posts

The biggest sacrifice with Bose and BM is likely bass. If you want good see bass you need a proper sub.

i am going aftermarket once I hear my touring with a bypass on it and the valves left open
Old 09-02-2018, 10:43 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Let me add my 2 cents..

Both the Burmester and Bose are average/adequate. Burmester is certainly better than the Bose in every way.
For $5800 you can buy a system, with half the speakers, that sounds 5 times as good as the Burmester.

Pros: Same price better sound by a lot
Spend a bit more and the sound will improve even more than a lot

Cons: you will not recoup your investment on resale going aftermarket
Risk of problems, rattles, damage during disassembly or reassembly

This comes down to how much you want/need/enjoy music while driving.
I never drive without music, not for one minute unless I am talking on the phone so, I am in need of a good system.
I went aftermarket, they installed the amp in the same spot as my old amp. NO frunk space used, no rattles.
I can also drive with the Targa top down and hear music when I could not hear anything from the stock Bose system as volume was underpowered.

I know I will not recover the cost upon resale but, I will enjoy every second of the sound while I own it and amortize it into the monthly cost of ownership
Old 09-03-2018, 02:59 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Let me add my 2 cents..

Both the Burmester and Bose are average/adequate. Burmester is certainly better than the Bose in every way.
For $5800 you can buy a system, with half the speakers, that sounds 5 times as good as the Burmester.

Pros: Same price better sound by a lot
Spend a bit more and the sound will improve even more than a lot

Cons: you will not recoup your investment on resale going aftermarket
Risk of problems, rattles, damage during disassembly or reassembly

This comes down to how much you want/need/enjoy music while driving.
I never drive without music, not for one minute unless I am talking on the phone so, I am in need of a good system.
I went aftermarket, they installed the amp in the same spot as my old amp. NO frunk space used, no rattles.
I can also drive with the Targa top down and hear music when I could not hear anything from the stock Bose system as volume was underpowered.

I know I will not recover the cost upon resale but, I will enjoy every second of the sound while I own it and amortize it into the monthly cost of ownership
I hear you and am on the same page. The only times I listen to music is in the car or in the gym.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Spending a lot for audio on a 911 just isn't where I would put my $'s. Bose is fine, play with the settings and with Spotify sounds ok. I am usually listening to news stations, like my music loud and when the wife is in the car it's Chill or Coffee House. I don't drive it in the winter so I also mostly have windows open so I don't create an "auditorium" setting. I would get basic and upgrade or Bose and switch out tweeters and other accessories.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

If you take the $$ out of the equation and as good as sound as possible is the goal, I would go aftermarket assuming you have a shop you trust to do the work right. Take Nick’s kit and install looks like a great solution. If you don’t have the right shop I think the Burmeister is probably the next best choice. I have the Bose in mine and it’s fair at best but haven’t justified the money to upgrade. First step will be the tweeters from Nick and then make the good enough or rip and replace call. Doing some other tweaks first and just spending more time listening to the engine .1.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon D
If you take the $$ out of the equation and as good as sound as possible is the goal, I would go aftermarket assuming you have a shop you trust to do the work right. Take Nick’s kit and install looks like a great solution. If you don’t have the right shop I think the Burmeister is probably the next best choice. I have the Bose in mine and it’s fair at best but haven’t justified the money to upgrade. First step will be the tweeters from Nick and then make the good enough or rip and replace call. Doing some other tweaks first and just spending more time listening to the engine .1.
I have Nick's tweeters and it's a definite improvement, but still missing good base from a decent subwoofer. Maybe I'll just set a boom box in the back seat.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:16 PM
zelig
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a Bose and could not get it to perform adequately. My 991 has the Burmester. Pricey but a far better option.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all have to make the choice that is best for us, the type of music and driving we do, and budget. Having said all that, I felt the Bose was better enough from the standard to be worth the cash. The Burmeister was not available for my car, but I probably would have gone that way if it was. I often blast through the mountains at high speeds w the windows down, music blasting. Sometimes I mute it to hear the run to 9k, but, often enough, I enjoy having some music.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:56 PM
Tom&MA
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can speak to the base stereo in the 991.2. It is GARBAGE! The built in amp and tweeters are incredibly harsh and the bass is over eq'd and sounds muddy. I was hoping it would be decent as I have a GT3, but it is unlistenable. I listened to a 991.2 Bose system and I thought it was good/not great for an OEM system.

I am putting in a system myself that is much like Nick's, at Musicar, Stage III system (Same amplifier/DSP, similar speakers that are not as good as Nick's). I did not listen to the Burmester, but the system like Nick's is WAY better than the Bose to me. The Mosconi amplifier sounds great - very clean and the bass is very clean, strong and tight. It also fits in the amplifier space under the passenger seat.

If Nick figures out how to make the 991.2 system plug and play, and you have the budget, I would recommend that as you will get very clean sound with the windows up or down.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I have Nick's tweeters and it's a definite improvement, but still missing good base from a decent subwoofer. Maybe I'll just set a boom box in the back seat.
Dan, I was referencing his Stage III kit for the total solution, not just the tweeters.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon D

Dan, I was referencing his Stage III kit for the total solution, not just the tweeters.
Gotcha, thanks.

Yes, it needs to be plug and play for me to consider Nick's solution. Changing out the tweeters is about all I am willing to do. I break and lose things on big projects.

I am still playing with the configurator and trying to stay in a budget. Since it is a lease, I may go Bose and if I decide to buy it out, go after-market. I can be impulsive so I'll see where I land at that point. The Burmeister will cost me another $150/month, I drive the car a few times per month, and mostly listen to talk/sports on Sirius. However, if I could get BTO to sound halfway decent it might be worth it, lol.

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 09-04-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:54 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
I bought the Burmeister. It's seamless, sounds great and Huey and Dewey aren't going to be pulling off your door trim.
I mean lets be honest, are you really going to take your car to a crappy car stereo place? For example, look up 5 Star Car Stereo on youtube and watch one of their install videos. 100% professional/oem quality work. You get what you pay for with car stereo installations just like anything else.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:43 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I have never been a fan of the bose systems so I just went standard. The standard is more than sufficient for me, especially because I have PSE and love listening to the exhaust note most of the time anyway.

Quick Reply: Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?