Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PPF, First Wash, Water Spots everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 07:29 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

If the issue is water spots...I always use this after-wash product as i'm drying the car off...helps to breakdown the water. I then usually apply some of their V07, or Vitalize for the cars that I have a coating applied to.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/After_W...cws_801_16.htm

Enjoy. No reason you can't get a spot free shine.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

Looks like you have hard water or some soap spots.
What I do is use Gyeon Wet Coat as a final spray and rinse after washing. I lightly dry with a waffle towel, then use my blower and a high nap micro fiber towel to dry the rest. Car is flawless. No spots.

Last edited by Penn4S; 09-02-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:56 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Use a paint cleanser like p21s.

that should remove the water spots.

if it doesn’t, you’ll have to use a more aggressive polish and/or water spot remover like CarPro spotless.

once you get rid of the water spots, wipe everything down with CarPro eraser and apply CarPro reload as a nano spray sealant.

you DEFINITELY need a nano coating on the film to protect it, reload is an excellent DIY solution.

also, if you’re not already doing so, use a deionized water filtration system...this will avoid future water spots.

hope this helps
Old 09-02-2018, 12:28 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 123 Posts

I always wash my car, then use a quick detail product.

In fact, I've completely given up on spot-free rinse at the car wash. Never seems to work. Quick detail fixes everything.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:39 AM
ddodds
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

I use deionized water, master blaster and quick detail spray. Been using this method since I spent crazy $$ on paint correction and suntek ppf. As you can see from my avatar, I feel your pain!
Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

In your particular case this is what I would do.
First, do your regular car wash. Two bucket system preferably.
Second, air dry the car to remove most of the water.
Third, use a decontamination agent like Sonax Fallout Cleaner, then rinse.
Fourth, wash again and air dry. If you have acces to a dual-action polisher I would use a Final Polisher with light pressure to remove the left over water spots.
Fifth, use a detail spray without color or specific for PPF like Chemical Guys Clear Seal Gloss Enhancement.
And finally seal it with XPel Paint Protection Film Sealant.

https://www.sonax.com/Product-Search...allout-cleaner
https://www.chemicalguys.com/Clear_S..._p/wac_767.htm
http://www.xpel.com/product/xpel-ppf-sealant-16-oz/

If you live in a place with hard water a CR might be a good investment. I live in Miami and I wash my car under full sun in the summer, never had an issue with water spots on my PPF or paint. I don’t own a CR either. Just try to keep your car wet at all times while washing.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
There isn't anything on top of the ppf. Sunk says nothing is required on top of it. That's the word from them anyway. Also read water spots can form whether there is a ceramic coat or not.
I am going to look into applying something on top to see if that helps. What ppf protectant do you use?
Well I spent the last 2 or 3 hours working on it with meguiars quick detailer as that is the only thing I had. I was able to get a good portion of it off. The meguiars leaves behind residue, but id rather have that than the water spots.
I have Suntek Ultra too. Nothing is required on top is correct but you do have the option of a coating. A PPF protectant, a light ceramic or full ceramic or a sealant.
I had Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant on my last car with Xpel which was great. I have Gyeon Can Coat which is recommended for PPF which is even better.
You have soap/hard water spots which are worse with no coating and a straight blow dry. Try a rinse product like Chemical Guys After Wash which you spray on a wet car and towel dry or what I use is Gyeon Wet Coat spray on a wet car, hosed off and then toweled dry.
Both create a slick surface for drying and a nice final look.

Last edited by Penn4S; 09-07-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:48 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I agree with others that you must have really hard water and a softener/anti-spotting agent will likely help, as well as working so that the car stays wet up until you make your drying pass (with wiping as I said before). If no water drys on the car then there can't be any spots left, and any spots that are drying and forming will be better removed with wiping than patting. In the cases where drying has begin I too have used a quick detailer spray (Meguiar's in my case) to very lightly rewet the surface before wiping.

If you do want to try a PPF sealant then here's what I'd recommend. I have picked up a bottle of Xpel sealant for my PPF but haven't used it yet (but its probably about time). I figure what could be best for PPF than a product made to seal/protect PPF (while most products are made to seal/protect paint). It sounds like they purposely make it as a general PPF sealant and not specific to their products. Here's a link to it on Xpel's site: http://www.xpel.com/product/xpel-ppf-sealant-16-oz/
Old 09-02-2018, 10:03 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Was it a hot day?
If my car dries too fast (Summer) I get water spots.
I have Suntek PPF & I use Meguiar's ULW on PPF & the rest of the painted parts.
Water beads up. I clayed the car b4 applying the ULW.
When I wash, I dry with MF towels.
In summer, it is so hot here that I need to make sure one end of my MF towel is very damp. If not, I will literally wet it down!
I quickly go over each section with the damp part of the MF towel & then immediately, the dry large portion & have no water spots.
I also have a water softener in the garage & I hook the hose up to that to wash the car with soft water.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:06 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

You MUST seal the film. I don't care what you read on the manufacturers' websites....

At a minimum use this after washing your car. It will change your life.

https://www.autogeek.net/renny-doyle...SABEgIEnvD_BwE
Old 09-05-2018, 01:11 AM
2016mwk4sporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Suntek PPF on the front of the car and CQuartz on the rest, plus I used Gliss on the front end so the entire PPF is covered with a Gliss and I will tell you nothing sticks to it. its shiny and slick... But I also dry my car with a soft drying towel once Im done rinsing it. In between washes I use a waterless cleaner on the entire car. I don't have water spots but I have very hard water here in Sac CA. Good Luck...
Old 09-06-2018, 09:59 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

If in a pinch you can also use vinegar in some water to get rid of hard water spots; however, you need a coating on the film.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:28 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Are you certain the water spots aren’t under the film? Getting black paint corrected properly before PPF is very challenging and it would be easy for there to have been some spotting that wasn’t that noticeable when it was filmed. Black can look perfect in some light and then not so great in others.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:26 AM
GTSdds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know how to fix your existing problem, but i know one way to prevent it from happening again.

http://www.prowax.com/gloss_enhancer...qua_Gloss.html

The chemist who formulated this did so when I asked him for such a product 8-10 years ago. My technique is to blow 90% of the water off with a blower and then mist Aqua Gloss on the panels. Wipe quickly & evenly with a microfiber towel. Finish with quick detailer on a fresh microfiber. Perfect. Love this stuff.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:20 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

These posts make me glad I went with GT Silver. Easiest color to keep clean. I use chemical guys waterless wash/wax and plenty of microfiber. I don't wash with water, so no water spots.

The trade off: silver is not the most exciting color choice. Black is awesome though (when it's clean...)

Quick Reply: New PPF, First Wash, Water Spots everywhere