Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone take delivery with alignment off??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 03:11 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

My car seems like its alignment is spot on. After 13k+ miles the front and rear tires have even wear (5/32 front, 3/32 rear) across the tread. The car doesn't drift or pull in either direction.
I had a race shop align and corner balance my '89 Carrera and it felt amazing--like the center-of-gravity had shifted downward. When this car needs an alignment, I'm going to run it out to them rather than the dealer.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:11 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

In one of the menus you can see the degree your steering wheel is turned, try going to this menu, get it on -0- and then see if he car pulls in any direction.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Followup.
Took my car to Fischer Motors in Barrington. Rick Fischer is the man, btw. Highly recommend them. My car was delivered misaligned... Front was off (L camber -0.7, toe 8.4, R camber -1, toe 8.1). Rears were basically straight (L -1.8, 0.14 and R -1.9, 0.18). I asked him to match the left wheel camber to -1(I wanted it more on the aggressive side) now the steering wheel is dead nutz straight. Baybeh!! Holy crap I should've done this earlier. I don't have to fight the car any more.
Also, looks like the T comes from the factory with aggressive alignment (everything is either at max camber or even slightly more negative than the max "spec range" from the factory). This might be one of the tricks Porsche uses to give the carrera some extra driving feel. They probably forgot to adjust my left wheel or left it that way to adjust for road crown, except in the US the way this is set up its the opposite..
Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 PM
NCThirteen
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I was at the dealership yesterday and saw a brand new 911 with the alignment gear on it. Cool facility you can see the entire workshop from the waiting area. I am not sure if that is part of the delivery checklist or what. Still had sales sticker on the car.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:08 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Its probably my fault because i wanted the car as soon as it passed inspection and was programmed out of limp mode. Didnt even let them wash it. 8pm before 4th of july weekend. If i got it without the alignment check i have no regrets because i wouldve gone nuts with the car on the lot for 5 days with the dealership closed. It was like 100 degrees that entire weekend and i think it hailed that sunday. Wouldve gone completely bananas....
Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Mine too was delivered very slightly out of alignment (not quite as bad as yours) and dealer corrected. I think they told me there is a different alignment spec for the T with RAS. Curious to know if you ended up paying more due to RAS.

cheers!
Old 09-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

It takes an extra hour for rear axle alignment with RAS. Thankfully the rear was dead on. Only my front left was off and that was standard labor even with FAL..
and as you can see from the numbers above the T has a pretty aggressive camber. Almost -2 in the rear
Old 09-08-2018, 02:47 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

My steering wheel is centered - on a perfect road. I find I need to apply slight CW or CCW force on the wheel to keep the car in lane depending on the road. The roads here typically have a slight gradient that isn't always what you'd expect for the left or right lane - plus the use of studded tires carves ruts into the lanes. My C4S (20"/SPASM/RAS) is far more sensitive to this than any other car I drive on the exact same roads. This spring, when I swapped out tires/wheels to run brand new summer rubber, I had the alignment performed by the dealer (they did make an adjustment) but the car feels exactly the same on the same roads.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I have never owned or driven a Porsche with a perfectly centered steering wheel. It’s ridiculous. My last 997 was the worst and I spent considerable time aligning the car to no avail.

I’ve since gotten over it and no longer pay attention to the steering wheel as it will drive me crazy. Porsche is the only manufacturer where I’ve experienced this level of sloppiness.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:29 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Will RAS exacerbate the alignment issue? I’m very sensitive to mis-aligned cars. Can’t stand ‘em!
Old 09-09-2018, 02:41 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
I have never owned or driven a Porsche with a perfectly centered steering wheel. It’s ridiculous. My last 997 was the worst and I spent considerable time aligning the car to no avail.

I’ve since gotten over it and no longer pay attention to the steering wheel as it will drive me crazy. Porsche is the only manufacturer where I’ve experienced this level of sloppiness.
I've owned two late model Porsches. Neither of which had a off-centered steering wheel or was out of alignment. Both were bought at the same dealership. I'm not sure whether they had anything to do with it or they came from Porsche that way. BTW, the steering wheel can be centered separate from an alignment.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Followup.
Took my car to Fischer Motors in Barrington. Rick Fischer is the man, btw. Highly recommend them. My car was delivered misaligned... Front was off (L camber -0.7, toe 8.4, R camber -1, toe 8.1). Rears were basically straight (L -1.8, 0.14 and R -1.9, 0.18). I asked him to match the left wheel camber to -1(I wanted it more on the aggressive side) now the steering wheel is dead nutz straight. Baybeh!! Holy crap I should've done this earlier. I don't have to fight the car any more.
Also, looks like the T comes from the factory with aggressive alignment (everything is either at max camber or even slightly more negative than the max "spec range" from the factory). This might be one of the tricks Porsche uses to give the carrera some extra driving feel. They probably forgot to adjust my left wheel or left it that way to adjust for road crown, except in the US the way this is set up its the opposite..
How much did Rick charge? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

With tax 250 but he spent almost 3 hours on it including the drives and going over the options with me
Old 09-09-2018, 07:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
With tax 250 but he spent almost 3 hours on it including the drives and going over the options with me
Ok. Thank you. I paid $299 at the Porsche Exchange last month. I received a special price from an old 2017 promo they honored when I asked. I have no RWS, FL, or camera sensors for lane assist or cruise control. I watched the Tech doing the work through the window, and he worked diligently for 40 minutes. I was in & out in an hour.

I've used Fischer in the past on my prior Porsches. He's not worked on my 991 though.

Quick Reply: Did anyone take delivery with alignment off??